motion.adaptive-feed range problem

More
13 Oct 2024 21:35 #312009 by cmorley
or set feed override to 200 %..then the feedrate setting could be nominal and adaptive would be .5 for nominal feedrate (I think)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Oct 2024 09:09 #312227 by BaxEDM
Took a different work around / approach. Instead of requiring my customers to set a max expected feedrate in their G-code, my new feedback control will require them to always set the feedrate to F1000. This is then the highest feedrate used for retractions. My feed control component then does the scaling stuff and estimating the optimal FRO value. This works nicely.

I did run into show stopper performance issues after switching to 2.9.3 and bookworm, I'll start a new topic for that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
16 Oct 2024 21:23 #312299 by snowgoer540

Took a different work around / approach. Instead of requiring my customers to set a max expected feedrate in their G-code, my new feedback control will require them to always set the feedrate to F1000. This is then the highest feedrate used for retractions. My feed control component then does the scaling stuff and estimating the optimal FRO value. This works nicely.

I did run into show stopper performance issues after switching to 2.9.3 and bookworm, I'll start a new topic for that.

I guess I am a little late here, I apologize I received the email response from Rob Ellenberg a few days ago but couldnt get back to this until now. I didnt see your work-around before I pushed a commit (github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/commit/0625...250a6cfb701303966f7e) to the master branch to change this for you. It would allow you to set the range for motion.adaptive-feed based upon the ini file's MAX_FEED_OVERRIDE value. This was chosen to play nice with the trajectory planner.

I had noted the following in the commit, but for the sake of closing the loop here and for those who dont read the commit notes, here's what Rob had to say:

As best I recall, I was preserving the existing behavior (it was likely limited to [0,1.0] before). That said, I don't think there's a fundamental reason it can't be greater than 1, though you'll get suboptimal lookahead behavior if you make it greater than the max feed scale value defined in the INI file. The TP creates the blend arcs with large enough radii to be smooth at maximum feed override. If you made the valid range [-max feed scale, max feed scale], I think it would be safe.

Perhaps this is better than the work around you concocted?
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, Aciera

More
16 Oct 2024 21:36 #312301 by Aciera
Nice to see someone with commit rights move the ball forward with such initiative. Thanks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

More
17 Oct 2024 09:37 #312351 by BaxEDM
Many thanks! I will take it for a spin and compare it to my current workaround.
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds