retrofit Bridgeport Prototrak Plus

More
02 Jul 2016 10:18 #76915 by new2linux
The work around for the proprietary control cards are the Mesa product line.
What is the work around for power supply or more specifically power supply amplifier?
I can appreciate it has to match with the specific drives at hand.
I have also seen complete televisions laid out (this was a vo-tech demonstration some years ago) so no circuits boards and it worked. I see that there is cooling and other requirements that may extend life of the components, and see a lot of components, what type of things don't I have an appreciation for?

many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jul 2016 13:06 #76962 by andypugh

PCW, You are correct, the old card will not move the drives. To make shore the set up is ok, this is what I did, 1.5 v (went to 2.4 v) from variable power supply to the 2 pins on old card, with e stop out. From this test it does appear that there are other problems.

The servo drives will not drive the motors without the 110V supply to the DC power bus.

You didn't specify what power you had active during the test, did you have everything powered up as normal?
(Have you replaced the blown resistor yet?)

The bench PSU is good for supplying a variable control voltage, though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: new2linux

More
04 Jul 2016 14:27 #76963 by new2linux
Andy the resistors have been replaced. The 1.5 to 2.4 v was from PSU (the only thing I did not due is increase the current setting, don't remember the reading but will retest if required), the e stop was out and 110 volt was to system. From an earlier test I used batteries to test run drives as it is setup currently. I fear the amplifier has other issues.

thanks for your input!

More
04 Jul 2016 14:34 #76964 by andypugh

I fear the amplifier has other issues.

It is looking likely, and is probably something that would be expected after the mis-wiring that started this.

Do you know anyone with more electronics experience than you?
Where are you in the world? Are there any local LinuxCNC users?

More
05 Jul 2016 15:02 #77037 by new2linux
Andy, Before I would try to find an expert, I need to be able to explain what they are to be looking for. Would you think the issue is on the PSB that has the big capacitor on it or is the thinking that the issue is on the "x" or "y" cards that are on the sides of amplifier enclosure.

many thanks!

More
05 Jul 2016 15:32 #77039 by Todd Zuercher
If you find someone willing to work on it, this is what I would do and tell them.
I would bring them the transformer, the power supply and both servo amps, (and probably bring along the servo motors as well). Tell them how you miss wired it and how it should be connected. Finally point out what you know about the control wiring (witch pins/wires the analog control signals connected to.)

Andy and others here are more skilled with electronics than I, if they have other advice take it.

More
05 Jul 2016 18:36 #77044 by new2linux
As someone that lives in the mid-Atlantic area of the east coast of the US, and have lived in this specific area a very long time, if I need my TV repaired, I personal know of no one, so I go to craiglist "free area" and get a "new to me" TV. There is just not a lot to pic from, but I am looking in to it.

thanks

More
05 Jul 2016 19:48 #77048 by Todd Zuercher
What state/city are you in, and how far are you willing to drive for help?

More
05 Jul 2016 20:07 - 07 Jul 2016 19:13 #77049 by new2linux
Out to local TV shop, who clams to have military electronics with some industrial drive experience as well and is late 50s or early 60s year old gentleman, looks experienced, the target time for repair is a few weeks, so lets see how things turn out.
Last edit: 07 Jul 2016 19:13 by new2linux. Reason: something usefull

More
18 Jul 2016 13:06 #77592 by new2linux

I do think you would have been better off not messing with anything in the big black box and just wired up a connector to the DB25 port on the outside of that to the 7i77.

Todd, I had some time to ponder the approach that was taken, please expand on the quote above? Was it possible not to open the power supply box and just use the existing components, the only thing required was a 5i25 card? Have no up date on the repair.

thanks

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds