Retrofitting a 1986 Maho MH400E

More
15 May 2019 21:10 #133914 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Retrofitting a 1986 Maho MH400E
No, the mode should make no difference
Is this with a blinking green light on the 7I84 (and no red light)?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 May 2019 21:14 #133915 by Glemigobles
I guess tomorrow I'm going to rewire the IO pins from the 7i84 to the 7i77 and create a wiring file. Since I have a 7i73 I won't need the pins for the panel that Mark used if I decide to connect the Philips keyboard and pendant. It's better to get to servo tuning and actual milling, even at 100€ this board isn't worth troubleshooting for 2 days in my situation. Though I'm bummed about this, it retailed for 100€ or thereabouts. Were I in a hobby situation you can bet I'd diagnose the everloving beejeezus out of this card.

More
15 May 2019 21:14 #133916 by Glemigobles
PCW, yes, there's a blinking green light when LCNC is fired up. That's partly what makes it confusing to me.

More
15 May 2019 21:21 - 15 May 2019 21:21 #133918 by PCW
The question I was asking is if there is a blinking green light when you did the output test,
since you need constant communications for the test to work.
(this is why your halcmd loadrtx xx example would not work without adding
a bunch more commands that set up threads etc)
Last edit: 15 May 2019 21:21 by PCW.

More
15 May 2019 21:31 #133921 by Glemigobles
Yes, I repeated the test with LCNC on and all the cards communicating with each other. It made no difference unfortunately.

More
15 May 2019 22:41 #133929 by PCW
OK sounds like the 7i84 is truly bad/broken. We can issue a RMA to repair/replace the card but inexpensive shipping will take a while
The following user(s) said Thank You: Glemigobles

More
16 May 2019 07:21 #133951 by Glemigobles
Thanks a lot for your continued support PCW. I'm going to make a short video to show what I'm doing exactly before sending the card back (there's still hope it might just be my incompetence). But that will have to wait until next week probably, I really need to get this MAHO tuned now so I'll presently rewire the IO from the 7i84 to the 7i77 (it's pretty great that it has so many pins, and a good bit of fortune that I bought more cards than I actually need since I hadn't really checked in advance if they're all necessary).

More
16 May 2019 10:15 #133957 by Glemigobles
I completed plotting all the wiring changes from the 7i84 to the 7i77, in comparison with Mark's modified diagrams. This wasn't very hard since all the inputs and outputs are consistent between the two Mesa cards, and only the terminal blocks change.

If for some bizzarro reason anyone would need such a reference, I'm attaching a spreasheet with all the changes. It has physical pin numbers on both cards, the LCNC pin address, the function of each pin and the number of the wiring sheet where the change was made. It's base is the original ribbon wire names, which I labelled and recommend that anyone doing a retrofit this way also labels.
Attachments:

More
16 May 2019 11:30 #133960 by RotarySMP
Hope that works as a temp solution to get the machine back in service. Do you ever use the MAHO spindles, or is your HF spindle allways in operation for on your machine?

I think it is cool that the Literature major is doing this. I found the learning curve very steep, and although I'd never really learnt electrical troubleshooting, and reading wiring schematics well, in my basic training as an aircraft mechanic, and also in the course of type courses I at least had a fair bit of exposure to this stuff. Good on you for doing this
Mark

More
16 May 2019 12:22 #133961 by Glemigobles
The HF spindle is on to cut acrylic almost always. But I recently ordered and will soon receive designs for two injection molds, and before I gather the funds for the materials and necessary mechanical reconditioning of the Maho I also want to make a vacuum table with custom plates that can be switched around depending on the program.

I'll change the IO addresses for the hal spindle component. The pin numbers and types will be the same (Mesa being consistent), it's only necessary to change the card name.

I actually went as far as to get a PhD in my field. But I've always been a nerdy type of person, learning programming as a hobby in grade school, building my own PCs, etc. Nothing approaching this scale of a project though, that's for sure. And slacking off terribly in all my university years.

The learning curve has been absolutely brutal. Making terminals, soldering connections, getting all the tools (wire stripper, crimping tool) and materials, getting used to Linux after a lifetime of Windows, hal, Mesa manuals, the LinuxCNC documentation. TBH, I've been working since May 1st everyday for 8-12 hours (7 days a week). On the other hand, having worked with the Maho for almost 2 years I at least have enough confidence to know what the machine should do, where the limit switches and motors are, how to access stuff, etc.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.465 seconds