× Forum Header

No progress after using stepconfig.

More
05 Feb 2010 01:39 #1753 by cmorley
This looks like a bug in stepconf. Change your Z axis tabel travel from ( 10 to -65 ) to ( -10 to 65 )
and try again. Seems stepconf doesn't like the negative number on the right.

Chris M

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Feb 2010 16:47 #1769 by grey1beard
Chris, it worked.
I changed to -10 and 65 as suggested, and the first thing was that now the Z axis responds exactly as the other two.
My setting was purely a hangover from the way I'd set up the machine for my previous software, best forgotten !
The "home all" sequence started, and manually pressing the limit switches produced the direction change and set the home position for each axis in turn as expected.

Regarding the lack of motor response during this "rehearsal", the penny dropped that my file was based on the example that AXIS opens with, albeit with my config settings. I had ignored line1 that says "AXIS splash G-code. Not meant to be milled".
I assume from this that I need to load a small test piece of G-code of my own before the motors will turn.
Or do I still have a problem ?

John

More
05 Feb 2010 17:23 #1771 by grey1beard
acemi wrote:

Maybe to compare hal status of stepconf and Axis will help.
I mean:

When running the test at stepconf:
halcmd show > stepconf.log

After running Axis:
halcmd show > axis.log

And compare theese

acemi - am I just to compare the lines at the top of the file - the hal components loaded ?

Viewing my first ever gedit file was like having a load of bricks dropped on me from a great height :S

John

More
05 Feb 2010 20:36 #1775 by acemi

acemi - am I just to compare the lines at the top of the file - the hal components loaded ?

Not only the loaded components. The pins, nets etc.

If you want, attach the files here then we can examine them

More
05 Feb 2010 20:58 - 05 Feb 2010 20:59 #1776 by grey1beard
First problem was trying to find out how to attach a file after completing my post.
Hitting the help button merely erases my typing, which is not a good start, and then there's no help anyway.

So i've got the zip file ready in my docs, but getting it attached is another matter.

File Attachment:

File Name: Log_files.zip
File Size:6 KB

Well , that was easy wasn't it.:S
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Feb 2010 20:59 by grey1beard.

More
05 Feb 2010 21:01 #1777 by grey1beard
Now I've been through the process I can do it again more easily if the log files are garbage.
John

More
06 Feb 2010 05:45 #1782 by awetmore
I was having the same problem, and I believe that we are both using SuperTech controllers. My controller is a EMC-XYZB-BX.

Stepconfig works great (although I wonder about my timing, the motor torque seems low), but running inside Axis didn't work at all.

I found that I needed to flip the "invert output" on pins 16 and 17 in stepconfig, but turn it off to make Axis work.

More
06 Feb 2010 06:56 #1783 by grey1beard
awetmore, thank for the heads up on the controller.
Yes I'm using an EMC-XYYZ*(not sure till I get back to the w/shop)
I'll check out those pins then.
Many thanks
John

More
06 Feb 2010 09:15 #1784 by grey1beard
awetmore.
Great. I checked it out and it works exactly as you said.
Yes, I have the same controller as you, but I can't imagine how you worked out, so I'd be grateful to know.
Was it trial and error ? Dennis Bohlke sent me the cct diagram, and when I can find it I'll have a look and see if there's a clue there as to what is going on.

Once again, many thanks as I'd have never found it - seems to be counterintuitive.

Regards
John

More
06 Feb 2010 15:22 #1789 by grey1beard
Wrote too soon.
Tried cutting in air and discovered the Y motor, while locked on, made no move at all.
I've tried altering some of the setup in stepconfig, but can find no pattern in its behaviour.
I'm going to go back to square one and making a new stepconfig file.
I wonder if continually editing the file and saving allows the build up of errors.
John

Time to create page: 0.855 seconds