× Forum Header

Newbie from the UK need a little assistance

More
02 Aug 2013 17:07 #37348 by cncbasher

Hi CNCBasher

I'm currently stuck in the office so I do not have access to hardware, however, I'm using the files kindly supplied by ArcEye (in my zip files).
The Steppers are from Zapp Automation SY60STH86 - 3008BF
All the datasheets I have are also included in the zipfile too.

Thanks for your help, I'm so eager to get these motors moving and so frustrated they are not, I'm sure I'm over looking something really basic.

I'll pull the ena + & - this evening. What do (should) they do?

Many thanks

Danny

all that does is disable the enables from the steppers , try it and we can go from there
it should not take long to sort out , so shout later if you manage to get to the hardware !

i'll take a look at Arceye's files in the meantime ...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2013 17:23 #37349 by cncbasher
you dont mention what you have the stepper motors driving , is it threaded rod . ballscrews , rack etc ?
or what kit

i have sent you a mail
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gr8funTargets

More
02 Aug 2013 17:46 #37350 by Gr8funTargets
At the moment it is driving nothing :ohmy:
I am trying to get the electronics\PC bits working inside before connection it up the table.

I'm just starting to build the table, it will be used for plasma cutting. approx 4ft x 3ft but I may experiment with some light router work at a later date, however I suspect I will enjoy this CNCing a little too much and end up making dedicated machines.. :woohoo:

The motors will eventually drive a belt and pulley system on the X & Y and (probably) ballscrew for the Z

Thanks for the mail. I'll have a butchers this evening and may take you up on your kind offer!!

Regards
Danny

More
02 Aug 2013 17:57 #37352 by cncbasher
the pinouts are correct ,
so long as you have the ena- of the stepper drives connected to pin 1 , although at the moment we do not know if this needs to be inverted ( hence the removal of the ena plug for now )
it makes things easier too !

the scale shown in your ini file as 20 needs to be adjusted to suit your steps .. which i take at the moment to be set to 3200
so we need to know as per last message what the steppers are driving and how far per rev etc i.e steps per mm or inch need to be worked out
and this will change the scale = setting

More
02 Aug 2013 18:59 #37353 by Gr8funTargets
Duh - Sorry, I misunderstood your question as "general interest" in what I was connecting - rather than needing specifics..
In my line of work I would call my answer "a"user answer", which is the lowest possible insult we can give... My apologies for being so vague.

I'm planning on having T5 timing belts and pulleys, 10mm wide (unless someone tells me different!!)
The pulleys are planned to be 12 tooth pulleys.
I'm not entirely sure which diameter I should be using to calculate travel. (I was expecting to do a little trial and error here :-) )

I have
De = 18.25mm
Dp = 19.10mm
and Df - 23mm

(A full revolution will be pi*23mm = 72.256mm,
so (72.256mm / 360 degs) * 1.8 degs = 0.361mm)

If I'm right a 1.8 degree step will move the torch 0.361mm

It is set at 3200 at the moment, but I've no idea if this is correct and appropriate or not. I was taking some advice from an historical posting on MyCNCuk.

Many thanks

Danny

More
02 Aug 2013 19:21 - 02 Aug 2013 19:38 #37354 by cncbasher
ok

i'd recomend HTD belts they are far better than T5's ( make sure you get pullys to match they are different )

you'll also find because your running at high stepper rates (3200) your steppers will lose torque , you'll be far better at say 4x or 2x i.e 400 - 800 steps than at 3200

setting steps per mm then should be ( ok i may be wrong here as it's not often i work with belts )
you can add these to stepconfig to check
200 steps per rev
driver microstepping 16
pulley 1:1
leadscrew pitch ( take this as length per rev ) 72.256 as per your calc

gives SCALE = 44.286979628 for your ini file i.e 44.3 steps per mm

it will be the Dp dia you need to use not the full outer dia of the pulley , so amend the values to suit , but you should get the idea
Last edit: 02 Aug 2013 19:38 by cncbasher.

More
02 Aug 2013 19:47 #37355 by Gr8funTargets
Ah ha!!

That makes sense!! I had been wondering about the lead screw pitch!
..and yes, I'll go for the HTD belts.. with matching pulleys

Thanks for your help. I feel like I have progressed even though I have still not touched the hardware today.
Having you check over and confirm the settings is really great... and I've the ENA to pull off.

The only problem now is I want to get out of the office even more urgently than "normal". The next few days could be very exciting for me and I can't wait!!

Thank you so much.

Danny

More
02 Aug 2013 20:39 #37357 by cncbasher
i'm looking at your zip file now and can see some points to be checked first

the + connections pul+ dir + ena+ are all daisy chained together and should go to +5v

this is showin as COM ( common ) as far as i can see , is this 5v dc or gnd ? it should be 5v + in this configuration

as i notice the pdf of the board is not the same as you show in the picture , so check your wiring

i would prefer a seperate 5v supply rather than using the USB . but ok for testing ... but be careful any problems with the 5v side can ruin the pc via the USB
and you can't draw much over a usb connection so any problems here are major .

5v @ 2-3A supply will do

More
02 Aug 2013 22:32 #37364 by Gr8funTargets
CNCBasher

I totally agree with your logic.
The daisy chained connections all have the "+" sign, that would, even to the untrained eye, suggest a +ve input.
However the, PDF ZP5A-INT is certainly suggesting the XN,YN etc is GND

I'm a little concerned the pdf does not match the picture, I'm not sure where the difference is though. I'll get a good pic of the board this evening.

So, if the drivers need a +5v input, do you have any ideas where I could pick that up from, even if it is just to test?
Can I pop a volt meter across the terminals and see what is what? (that may be a really daft question - sorry)

WRT the USB power. I agree too and I'm sure I have usb "charger" that will probably suffice - I will check "the drawer".

Thanks again for your help.

Regards

Danny

More
02 Aug 2013 22:43 - 03 Aug 2013 19:03 #37367 by cncbasher
Danny

their should be a 5v around for the onboard logic , we can poke later on

i'll return some info off list
Last edit: 03 Aug 2013 19:03 by cncbasher.

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds