× Forum Header

SOLVED: Tuning stepper motor with Gecko 201 driver

More
18 Dec 2013 07:05 - 21 Dec 2013 05:19 #41717 by mtngun
As I mentioned in a previous thread, I'm a LinuxCNC newbie attempting to convert a lathe over from TurboCNC. My X axis has a Gecko 203V drive while the Z runs a 201, and both steppers run satisfactorily in TurboCNC. But the 201 runs terribly rough in LinuxCNC, even after trying many different timing settings.

The 203 loves LinuxCNC, running smoother and faster than it did on TurboCNC, even with less than optimal timing settings. The 203 can't do anything wrong in LinuxCNC, while the 201 can't do anything right. :lol:

So I tried experimenting with a wide range of stepper timing settings in StepConf. It didn't seem to make much difference. For now I settled on Step Time 1000, Step Space 5000, Direction Hold 20000, and Direction Setup 1000.

I tried tweaking the STEPGEN_MAXACCEL and that didn't seem to make much difference, so for now it's set at the default 1.25.

Since the 201 runs fine in TurboCNC but runs like crap in LinuxCNC, I'm going to assume that the hardware is fine and that the fault lies in the LinuxCNC setup.

I'm looking for suggestions of things to try that I haven't already tried. :unsure:
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Dec 2013 05:19 by mtngun.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Dec 2013 07:37 #41719 by BigJohnT
What might be messing with the 201 is doublestep. I'm not an expert on doublestep.

www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/hal/parallel_...ml#parport-functions

Does it run rough at all speeds or just in the mid range?

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: mtngun

More
18 Dec 2013 07:42 #41722 by mtngun

Does it run rough at all speeds or just in the mid range?

At all speeds, to the extent that it has much speed. It sounds like it is grinding gravel. :lol:

More
18 Dec 2013 07:48 #41723 by BigJohnT
Is is possible to replace the 201 with a 203v so all axes have the same performance?

I'm on a windows computer so I don't recall if you can disable doublestep in the Stepconf Wiz or not.

Just for fun try and double the step timings and see what you get.

BTW, I use the 203v drives and love them... just bullet proof and smooth.

JT

More
18 Dec 2013 07:56 #41726 by mtngun
I don't have a spare 203V laying around. The lathe originally had 201's and then when a 201 failed I replaced it with the 203. Like you I am impressed with the 203.

I did try using much longer timing numbers and it didn't seem to make much difference.

I'll do some more reading and searching on the DoubleStep thing, and I'm also curious about the "opendrain" command?

But surely some other EMC users have some experience with 201's? Of course their setup might depend on whether they are using an isolated breakout board. I'm running a non-isolated breakout board.

More
18 Dec 2013 07:59 - 18 Dec 2013 08:02 #41727 by BigJohnT
So your driving the Geckos straight from the parallel port?

I did a google site search for 201 and didn't come up with much. You might also try the mailing list there is a bunch of smart folks there and they don't like forums for the most part LOL.

JT
Last edit: 18 Dec 2013 08:02 by BigJohnT.

More
18 Dec 2013 08:17 #41729 by mtngun

So your driving the Geckos straight from the parallel port?

You could say that. My BOB is a "straight-through" BOB with no signal conditioning or isolation.

More
18 Dec 2013 13:26 #41736 by mtngun

What might be messing with the 201 is doublestep.

As near as I can figure, the doublestep feature was enabled by StepConf.

From the HAL manual: "To setup DoubleStep on the parallel port you must add the function parport.n.reset after parport.n.write and configure stepspace to 0 and the reset time wanted."

My HAL file does have the partport.n.reset - time 1000, and it does have stepspace 0 for both X & Z.

I'm not sure if the DoubleStep matters but I will try it without DoulbleStep and see if it makes a difference. B)

More
18 Dec 2013 23:09 #41764 by andypugh

But the 201 runs terribly rough in LinuxCNC, even after trying many different timing settings.

Try inverting the "step" pin in Stepconf.

More
18 Dec 2013 23:36 #41768 by mtngun
It is inverted. If I un-invert it, the z does not run at all. :laugh:

Time to create page: 0.205 seconds