× Forum Header

SOLVED: Tuning stepper motor with Gecko 201 driver

More
21 Dec 2013 05:16 #41886 by mtngun
UPDATE: I switched back to the #1 HP DC5000, replaced 10.04 with 8.04, and upgraded to 2.5.3.

-- now box #1 runs pins 14 & 16. :) Those pins refused to work at all with 10.04.

-- now box #1 runs the Gecko 201 beautifully, even smoother than the other box (this box has lower latency). :)

So I'm going to declare this problem solved. :woohoo:

It appears there is either a bug in 10.04 or else 10.04 is not compatible with my box. 10.04 did not like pins 14&16 and 10.04 did not like the Gecko 201.

Is there a bug report somewhere where I should report this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Dec 2013 07:30 #41893 by andypugh

Andypugh, I'll try setting the steplength and space to 20,000 as you suggest but ...... I'm not sure that it is meaningful. In one place the documentation says those settings are in nanoseconds and in another place it says it is in base periods. So a steplen = 1 would be one base period (the base period is 67,000 on my 8.04 box). If that is true then setting the steplen timing to 20,000 in StepConf would have no effect. This seems to be the way it works because no matter what you plug in for step timing in StepConf, the HAL steplen is always 1

A step length of 1 and a step space of 0 makes sense in the context of a "doublestep" config. It means "turn the pin on this cycle, and "reset" will turn it off again in reset-time nS. This only makes sense if the step length is a lot less than the base period, and if the step-length + step space is a bit shorter than the base period.
I am wondering if your base period simply isn't long enough to fit in the step-space that is needed (5uS is a pretty long step space, though a lot less than your base period.

If there is documentation there which says that the timings are in base periods, then it needs to be found and altered. The definitive description of stepgen is here:
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/man/man9/stepgen.9.html

Incidentally, the choice of software _can't_ have any effect on the sensitivity of the hardware to VFD interference. Once the registers are set to put the pins high or low then everything downstream is identical between LinuxCNC and TurboCNC. (Assuming the hardware is exactly the same, which I am no longer sure about)

More
22 Dec 2013 00:20 #41907 by mtngun

If there is documentation there which says that the timings are in base periods, then it needs to be found and altered.

This Wiki page talks about how Steplen is in base periods. wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Tweaki...ftwareStepGeneration

The StepConf wizard asks for timing in nanoseconds, yet no matter what I input for "Step Time," (typically 500 nanoseconds for Geckos) the generated HAL file "steplen" is only "1". So if the manual is right about nanoseconds, then the Wizard is doing it wrong. They both can't be right.

10.04 was definitely doing something weird to the parallel port. My stepper problems went away when I switched to 8.04 with no other changes.

The steppers are running great in 8.04 now. My challenge turns to learning how to get around in the LinuxCNC interface.

More
22 Dec 2013 04:42 #41916 by andypugh

The StepConf wizard asks for timing in nanoseconds, yet no matter what I input for "Step Time," (typically 500 nanoseconds for Geckos) the generated HAL file "steplen" is only "1". So if the manual is right about nanoseconds, then the Wizard is doing it wrong. They both can't be right.

Stepconf typically creates a "doublestep" config where the step-length is actually set by the parport reset-time (which, you will see, in in nS)
The "1" of step and "0" for space are simply to ensure that stepgen doesn't try to re-zero the pin on the next iteration.

If you were to set you step + space to a time longer than the base thread period I would expect to see it switch methods.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mtngun

More
23 Dec 2013 01:39 #41932 by mtngun

Stepconf typically creates a "doublestep" config where the step-length is actually set by the parport reset-time (which, you will see, in in nS)

That makes sense now that you have explained it that way. :)

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds