× Forum Header

XYUV foam configs with stepconf now in master

More
13 Jul 2016 01:38 #77362 by jeffgar2000@gmail.com
Sorry to drag up an old thread. I know I am just missing something obvious. I have built 2 XYZ machines using LinuxCNC but the foam cutter is giving me fits. I get the display working just fine using the axis_foam but I have no idea where or how to set the Step Time, Step Space, Direction Hold, Direction Settings and all the pins and accel and velocity info for my hardware. I get my hardware to move as an XYZA machine but can't get any movement as an XYUV machine and axis_foam. The wizard won't let me create an XYUV stepconf and all the hal files that seem to be linked to axis_foam seem to be sim files.

What am I missing? I have searched for weeks and can't figure it out. Mechanics are ready to roll and the control system moves but the gui isn't connecting to the hardware.

Thanks
Jeff

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2016 01:59 #77363 by jeffgar2000@gmail.com
Never mind. I edited an xyza set that I created with the wizard and turned it into an xyuv. Now the gui knows how to talk to the hardware.

More
13 Jul 2016 08:02 #77373 by andypugh

Never mind. I edited an xyza set that I created with the wizard and turned it into an xyuv. Now the gui knows how to talk to the hardware.

Is it working properly now?
Depending on the LinuxCNC version you are using you might need sections in the INI fle for [AXIS_0] through to [AXIS_7] but only the settings in [AXIS_0], [AXIS_1], [AXIS_6] and [AXIS_7] will be used.

The important INI file entries for a foam cutter are
[DISPLAY]
GEOMETRY = XY;UV
FOAM = 1
[TRAJ]
COORDINATES = X Y U V

You may need JOINTS = 8

(If you are using the development branch "Master" then it would be JOINTS = 4 as the need for dummy placeholder joints has been removed)

More
13 Jul 2016 14:17 #77399 by jeffgar2000@gmail.com
Yes it is working fine now. This is about the third time I edited an XYZA set to turn it into XYUV set but this time it worked. I had all those entries the other times too but apparently missed something.

Time to hook up the electronics to the mechanics and start testing.

Thanks

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds