× Forum Header

Help with dual steppers on y axis and config

More
17 Jul 2017 22:34 #95942 by JesusAlos
There are a way to manual gantry autoalign moving only one Y motor?
I mean, move for example 3mm only in Y1.

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jul 2017 22:52 #95943 by andypugh
You might be able to switch to joint-mode to do this ($ key in Axis). But some configs won't allow it.

More
18 Jul 2017 14:13 #95981 by JesusAlos

More
16 May 2021 18:17 #209150 by hartley942
Hello, I am new to the forum and LinuxCNC. I recently had a computer setup to run LinuxCNC for my 3 axis CNC router which was formerly operated with Mach3.
I am having difficulty getting two steppers on the (gantry) Y axis to run in parallel. I have changed the settings as detailed in the 2016 discussion "Help with dual steppers on y axis and config". I just installed a Gecko g540 controller, however I had the same problem with a DIY stepperonline controller that was previously installed. As was discussed in the 2016 coverage of this problem an axis can be easily slaved in Mach (exp. slave the A axis to Y axis).
For whatever reason when I reassign the pins on the axis to be paralleled (second Y axis) by changing them to Y-step and Y-direction only the Master or normal Y axis stepper motor responds. I tested the desired second Y axis by connecting it to a different db9 connection on the g540 controller and it works as it should as a single motor axis.
I have also double checked that I have LinuxCNC set for a XYZ system.

What am I missing.

More
16 May 2021 18:23 #209152 by Clive S
What version of Linuxcnc are you using as a lot has changed from 2016 . To get gantry squaring you will need Linuxcnc version 2.8 or above

More
16 May 2021 20:51 #209169 by andypugh

I am having difficulty getting two steppers on the (gantry) Y axis to run in parallel. I have changed the settings as detailed in the 2016 discussion "Help with dual steppers on y axis and config". I just installed a Gecko g540 controller, however I had the same problem with a DIY stepperonline controller that was previously installed.

I thought that Stepconf knew how to configure gantries, but having tried it, it seems not.

Use stepconf to set up an XYZA machine.

Then open the INI file in a text editor.

Delete the [AXIS_A] section and the [JOINT_3] section
Make a copy of the [JOINT_1] section under [AXIS_Y] and rename it as [JOINT_3]

Give both joint 1 and joint 3 the same home sequence number, and make it a negative number. Probably -1 or -2.

Edit [TRAJ]COORDINATES = XYZY
Edit [KINS]KINEMATICS = trivkins coordinates=XYZY kinstype=B

That should be it. (though assumes a dual-Y setup, if you have a dual-X then it will look slightly different)

More
16 May 2021 22:46 - 16 May 2021 22:47 #209178 by bevins

I am having difficulty getting two steppers on the (gantry) Y axis to run in parallel. I have changed the settings as detailed in the 2016 discussion "Help with dual steppers on y axis and config". I just installed a Gecko g540 controller, however I had the same problem with a DIY stepperonline controller that was previously installed.

I thought that Stepconf knew how to configure gantries, but having tried it, it seems not.

Stepconf does have tandem entries for dual motor Gantries on the G540. Select XYZA and change the step/dir pins to tandem X or Y.
Last edit: 16 May 2021 22:47 by bevins.

More
16 May 2021 23:36 #209184 by andypugh

Stepconf does have tandem entries for dual motor Gantries on the G540. Select XYZA and change the step/dir pins to tandem X or Y.

I don't see that in 2.8?

Pncconf has tandem axes in 2.8, but I don't see it in Stepconf. Unless I am looking in the wrong place.

Attachments:

More
16 May 2021 23:40 #209185 by bevins
aH.... my bad, I am in 2.9.

More
16 May 2021 23:48 #209186 by bevins

Use stepconf to set up an XYZA machine.

Then open the INI file in a text editor.

Delete the [AXIS_A] section and the [JOINT_3] section
Make a copy of the [JOINT_1] section under [AXIS_Y] and rename it as [JOINT_3]

Give both joint 1 and joint 3 the same home sequence number, and make it a negative number. Probably -1 or -2.

Edit [TRAJ]COORDINATES = XYZY
Edit [KINS]KINEMATICS = trivkins coordinates=XYZY kinstype=B

That should be it. (though assumes a dual-Y setup, if you have a dual-X then it will look slightly different)

You running 2.8 or 2.9?
2.9 has it built in the wizard stepconf. select tandem Y instead of A. If your in 2.8 then you should do whatr Andy said.

Time to create page: 0.383 seconds