× Forum Header

X-carve linux cnc upgrade tuning

More
16 May 2016 00:01 #74704 by andypugh

so the pulse is every time the count increments.

That's the stepper stepping. The only way to reduce that is in the hardware, specifically by increasing the microstep ratio.

(You need to tell LinuxCNC that you have done that, either by manually editing SCALE or changing the settings in the config wizard.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 May 2016 00:06 #74706 by mrbishop

so the pulse is every time the count increments.

That's the stepper stepping. The only way to reduce that is in the hardware, specifically by increasing the microstep ratio.

(You need to tell LinuxCNC that you have done that, either by manually editing SCALE or changing the settings in the config wizard.

My microstep setting is at 8 what do you recommend

More
16 May 2016 00:11 #74708 by andypugh

My microstep setting is at 8 what do you recommend

How far does the machine move with every step?

I think that you might just have to accept that that is how the machine is with very slow moves.

Look in the sample G-code for daisy.ngc.

More
16 May 2016 00:28 - 16 May 2016 01:53 #74709 by mrbishop
Going from memory I think it moves about 130 steps per inch.
i got that number from the hal that you told me about.
Last edit: 16 May 2016 01:53 by mrbishop.

More
16 May 2016 03:18 #74716 by andypugh
Does the lurch frequency you hear correlate with the feed-rate at that number?

More
16 May 2016 03:24 #74717 by mrbishop

Does the lurch frequency you hear correlate with the feed-rate at that number?

It appears to. This behavior is in stsrk contrast to the arduino solution I'm coming from which its why I'm so alarmed by it. And also why I'm assuming it can be fixed or solved.

More
16 May 2016 03:43 #74718 by andypugh
If it is a jerk when there is a step pulse then it can't be anything to do with LinuxCNC/Arduino. Both only have one option, send a step pulse or don't send one. The machine ought to respond identically regardless of where the step pulses come from.

it is just about possible that there is a wiring problem, Sending steps to direction and direction to step might, actually, work, but confuse the driver badly.
Similarly, stepping on the "enable" line can work too.

More
16 May 2016 06:10 - 16 May 2016 06:12 #74721 by Rick G

i understand i'm using more amps now and this is an entirely different beast by comparison.

Did you also upgrade the motors? Are your amps settings appropriate for the motors? Have you tried reducing amps?
You could try 16 micro steps.
It is interesting that the second review of the drivers complains of jerky movement.

Rick G
Last edit: 16 May 2016 06:12 by Rick G.

More
16 May 2016 12:15 #74737 by mrbishop

i understand i'm using more amps now and this is an entirely different beast by comparison.

Did you also upgrade the motors? Are your amps settings appropriate for the motors? Have you tried reducing amps?
You could try 16 micro steps.
It is interesting that the second review of the drivers complains of jerky movement.

Rick G

perhaps i described it poorly. the movement is a start stop which causes a loud noise at ever step and makes the machine start and stop with each pulse or step.

i will try to increase the microsteps and reduce the amps tonight

also these are Nema 23's 4 wire i can't remember the weight but they are on the smaller size. my understanding is that they will hold the 3 amps but to your point the arduino never pushed anything near that powerful.

More
16 May 2016 17:52 #74761 by LearningLinuxCNC
Seems to me that you don't have enough steps per inch. As it is right now if you are moving at 0.5 ipm (slow move) then linuxcnc will send a step pulse about once a second so you would definitely see start stop operation. It would move about 0.01" each second with an abrupt 0.01" step each second. This would get even worse at slower speeds.

I prefer to have my machines set up so that I get about 0.001" per step even if that means I need higher microstepping. In your case I would increase the gear ratio from the motors or the microstepping or both as required/applicable. I know that I don't actually get 0.001" resolution by increasing the microstepping but it does help with start stop jumps as you are describing.

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds