× Forum Header

Configuring A rotary axis to substitute for the Y axis

More
25 Jan 2019 22:12 #124862 by Chris401
I have a home build 3 axis gantry machine and have constructed a horizontal rotary axis that I want to be able to substitute for the normal Y axis. Stepconf only seams to support XYZ and XYZA configurations. What is the best way to handle such a configuration? ( info: I am using Vcarve pro for design and code G generation ).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2019 03:17 #124870 by Leon82
Do they have an axis substitution tool path option?

More
26 Jan 2019 03:34 #124873 by Chris401
On the vcarve side I can define the rotary axis. Just not sure what to do in stepconfig for the linuxcnc side.

More
26 Jan 2019 03:40 #124875 by Leon82
It may not look right in the preview window, but I don't see why it would work.
An a move is an a move no matter where the rotary is

More
26 Jan 2019 03:48 #124876 by Chris401
Just some issue with degrees vs linear measure, if it can wrap on a rotary axis, if I will have issues with limits at 0/360, if I can ignore limit switches for that a axis. Just seems like a lot of things might be taken care of if it new it was a rotary axis. Maybe I can use the XYZA and just not define Y and set A up with those ports. Just wanting to see if someone has worked through it already.

More
26 Jan 2019 04:07 #124877 by Leon82
You would have a y0 move to put you on center then drilling for example

G90 g0 x-5.y0a0
G81 z-5
A90
A180
A270

Angles are angles

More
26 Jan 2019 10:59 #124884 by Chris401
Well, sure. But my problems are with the setup of the init. Wondering it I can use stepconfig or if I have to go manual to define a horizontal axis in place of the Y axis. Code and math I can handle.

More
29 Jan 2019 17:00 #125177 by andypugh
One way to do this might be to have two separate configs. If using trivkins in the development version then the only change you need to make is from
[KINS]
KINEMATICS = trivkins

to

KINEMATICS = trivkins coordinates=xazy

(and also change about the [AXIS_Y] and [AXIS_A] sections to get the limits correct)

I have just done a very similar change with my vertical / horizontal milling machine so that one of the INI files swaps the Y and Z axes (while keeping the joint configs identical)

More
29 Jan 2019 17:10 - 29 Jan 2019 17:11 #125178 by OttoDidact
I work on specific diameters 8", 12" etc.

So I calculate the circumference for a specific diameter.

Then I create a profile in stepconfig and call it "8 diameter" where I divide my rotational resolution into the circumference.

Then I create my drawing in 2D and then just launch my machine with the correct diameter profile.

I think I have 3 diameter profiles and the "Flat" one. Takes a minute to set up but they are reusable and you will probably only need a few diameters for the majority of your work.

Good luck.
Last edit: 29 Jan 2019 17:11 by OttoDidact. Reason: wrong word.

More
29 Jan 2019 19:13 #125195 by andypugh
You don't need completely separate configs. You can share your HAL, tool table etc files between INI files. Just put as many INI files as you need in the same config folder.
Just make several slightly different INI files with different steps-per-mm to suit the different diameters.

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds