× Forum Header

Configuration for MDrive 17

More
21 May 2020 20:15 #168523 by gholm
Hi all

First of all, I am new and noob so excuse me if I ask something which may result obvious.

I'm trying to configure two steppers motors (MDrive 17) whose PINs I show you below;

So, in step conf I have many possibilities, but X Step and X Direction doesn't match with it, doesn't it?

I mean, if I want to move 34 steps to the right, what should I do? I have been thinking about using Spindle CW and CCW, does it make sense? Or should I use X Step, X Step (Invert), X Direction and X Direction (Invert)?

I am actually using this configuration:
Pin 1: X Step
Pin 2: X Step -
Pin 3: X Direction
Pin 4: X Direction -
Pin 5: Digital out 0 (Laser)
Pin 10: Home X

Thank you all!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2020 20:30 #168526 by tommylight
Make a config using stepconf, save it and edit the hal file to use "up/down", so the part where it says
loadrt stepgen step_type=0,0,0
should be
loadrt stepgen step_type=1,1,1
If you need that for all 3 axis.

More
22 May 2020 11:46 #168570 by gholm
Replied by gholm on topic Configuration for MDrive 17
Thank you very much!

I cannot try it now, but I wish I could.

By the way, I saw I can configure the 1st Parallel with every axis but not the second one, I was going to use each parallel for each motor, but I am going to fix it.

I am trying to do a laser recorder but I don't understand many things I am trying to learn.

Another question, I want to use just two motors for two axis, so can I use for each one CW and CCW? Or there is some speed limit? Its a good idea?

Thank you very much, I wish you a good day

More
22 May 2020 13:01 #168577 by tommylight

Thank you very much!

You are welcomed, always.

By the way, I saw I can configure the 1st Parallel with every axis but not the second one, I was going to use each parallel for each motor,

???
You can use as many parallel ports as you can fit on a PC, and you can set them as you like or need.

I am trying to do a laser recorder but I don't understand many things I am trying to learn.

A laser scanner ?

Another question, I want to use just two motors for two axis, so can I use for each one CW and CCW? Or there is some speed limit? Its a good idea?

Yes you can, and the only speed limit is the parallel port ability to send pulses, depending on the PC and Kernel.

More
22 May 2020 14:28 #168580 by Todd Zuercher

Thank you very much!

You are welcomed, always.

By the way, I saw I can configure the 1st Parallel with every axis but not the second one, I was going to use each parallel for each motor,

???
You can use as many parallel ports as you can fit on a PC, and you can set them as you like or need.

Actually there is a maximum limit of 8 ports with the Linuxcnc parallel port driver. (But if you need more than 2 or 3 other hardware options, such as Mesa cards, become more practical.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
22 May 2020 15:16 #168582 by tommylight
I did say "as many as you can fit on a PC" as i am pretty sure that besides some very rare server motherboards, none had more than 6 PCI slots, plus the built in makes 7. Still under the limit. :)
But that would change if using dual port PCI cards, as that would result in 13 ports!
Thank you, Todd.

More
22 May 2020 15:24 #168583 by Todd Zuercher
I would assume that if you wanted more than 2 parallel ports you'd automatically use the dual port cards. (I know I have.)

More
27 May 2020 17:07 #169137 by gholm
I am sorry I didn't answer, thank you very much.

Thats what I meant with the parallel port configuration:

Here I can choose several Axis configuration, as Step and Direction,

But in this screen I cannot, I just can choose CW and CCW.

(Maybe not exactly like this, but simmilar)

I am sorry, I am sure what I am asking is too basic but I don't understand this.

And thank you again for helping, I appreciate it!

More
27 May 2020 21:29 #169158 by tommylight
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/hal/hal-examples.html
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.6/html/config/ini_config.html
You would need to do some manual editing of the hal and ini files, but i still am not sure what are you trying to achieve, like what should the end product do or how should it function or....
You can make a config for the first port, save it, and then copy and paste stuff you need by also replacing the parport.0 entries with parport.1

More
29 May 2020 19:43 #169344 by gholm
Thank you for your answer.

My idea is to make a simply 2 axis engraver laser CNC and control both axis with two microsteppers which has the following possible connections:

So I have two motors with built-in driver that I think I can use directly without any driver configuration, can I?

Thank you very much

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds