× Forum Header

wiring home switch and index to PP

More
14 Sep 2021 17:04 #220626 by Clive S

Hello Clive,

Thanks for taking an interest.

My ini and hal files are as delivered on the 2.7.0 distro.
I have made no changes and have not yet connected any limits and index switches. Not until I know what to do.

MikeT

I don't think there are any hal files on the distro.

They are generated in the config folder by using stepconf for the p/port or pnconfig for Mesa cards etc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Sep 2021 17:24 - 14 Sep 2021 17:25 #220628 by mikeT
I have no doubt you are correct about the distro.
I have a basic 3 axis mill configured using stepconf, nothing fancy.
I have not yet connected any home or index switches. I'm just trying to find out from you guys how to do it.
Last edit: 14 Sep 2021 17:25 by mikeT.

More
14 Sep 2021 21:37 #220655 by tommylight
StepConf will take care of homing/limits easily, not sure how to go about indexes as usually they are wired to encoder inputs.
Adding the Home_use_index to the ini file is easy but will do nothing without some more stuff in the hal file.
We just need the part that wires the parallel port pin to the index part.... chasing my tail ! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikeT

More
14 Sep 2021 22:43 - 14 Sep 2021 22:51 #220664 by mikeT
Hello tommylight'

Thanks for getting back.It's an interesting little problem, yes?

I agree with all you say, that's about where I got to, just before I called you guys for some help and advice.

This is what I am thinking; I could use stepconfig to configure the 'home X' and 'home Y' inputs. it will do all that's necessary within the hal and ini to configure those two signals.

This is where I'm guessing. I then get stepconfig to connect the 'index X' and 'index Y' inputs to say 'digital 1' and 'digital 2'. Then with the help of you guys, do what's necessary to route (configure) the two index signals through the hal to the ini

The documentation already tells us the ini settings required to add index to the homing sequence. It's the hal stuff that's missing.

i'm not sure of the purpose of the 'digital 1.2.3.4' inputs. Are they effectivley spare, unallocated inputs, or do they have a specific purpose?

Over to you.

Thanks again

MikeT
Last edit: 14 Sep 2021 22:51 by mikeT.

More
16 Sep 2021 20:32 #220815 by mikeT
Thank you all for looking in.
Unfortunately I didn't get very far. Stalled at the first question

MikeT

More
More
17 Sep 2021 09:28 #220867 by mikeT
Thank you tommylight

That link is about fitting an encoder to a lathe spindle.
It is not relevant to configuring 'home' switches and 'home index' switches to a mill.

Mike T

More
17 Sep 2021 14:08 #220894 by tommylight
Connecting the pins is relevant to make it available to homing.

More
17 Sep 2021 18:57 #220942 by mikeT
That is true; but it brings us back to my first question, yet again

(Quote) "I have both home switches and index switches on the X and Y axes on my mill. How do I connect them to the parallel port. Can it be done through stepconfig?"

Thanks for your help and advice

MikeT

More
17 Sep 2021 20:34 #220945 by PCW
Stepconf does not know how to connect index inputs, you would need to do that by editing the hal file (and enabling homing to index in the ini file)

I'm not sure if this will even work without changes to the software stepgen component or hal logic to simulate encoder behaviour in the stepgen

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds