× Forum Header

Entering Stepper Parameters When no Timing Specifications are Known...

More
31 Jan 2022 22:19 #233671 by sd3534
Good Day:
I have an old New Hermes 1219 engraving table with PH296-02 Steppers and a SteppersOnline TB6600 Driver Board.
The axes are moving but the speed and acceleration values are very small because anything slightly more and the steppers will stall.
1. Is it okay to run the steppers like that, will I damage the driver board or the motors running like that?
2. Would it be better to put the correct values for step, direction etc?
    a. If it would be better to put the proper values in how do I put in values when the timing values are not available?
Any help is appreciated :-)

Thanks in advance!
(INI File attached)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Feb 2022 09:53 #233698 by Aciera
Have you set the motor current on the drivers according to the motor specifications?
You are not likely to damage drivers or motors by using incorrect timing in linuxcnc. But to get the maximum possible performance out of your drivers/motors you will need to set the timings
correctly.
Have you had a look at section 7.3 in this document? (presuming you are using version 2.7):
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/pdf/LinuxCNC_Documentation.pdf

I can't help with the timing values but the drivers seem to be fairly common so maybe the internet can provide answers here.

More
01 Feb 2022 15:26 #233713 by sd3534
The driver board has the current switches assigned properly.
I saw section 7.3 and didn't get much out of it since it assumes I have the timing values for the motors, unless I read it wrong.
I have searched many hours looking for the timing values for the motors and the only thing I ever find is either the mounting drawings or sales website where I can buy them.
My biggest problem is when I run a program it will start to work and then at some point in the program it will want to do a long rapid move and that causes the motors to stall and of course the DRO still reads as if it really moving and then at some point it will trip the home switch and stop.
When I was using Mach3  in demo mode it seemed to work much better but I really don't want to shell out $170 for a license, thus the reason I am trying Linux CNC.
I appreciate the help!
Thanks

More
01 Feb 2022 18:39 - 01 Feb 2022 18:59 #233729 by Aciera
You need the timing values for the drivers not the motors.

[edit]
maybe this could give you something to start with.

forum.linuxcnc.org/16-stepconf-wizard/28553-configuring-tb6600
Last edit: 01 Feb 2022 18:59 by Aciera.

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds