× Forum Header

Only getting 1/5th the distance for axis travel.

More
17 Mar 2011 17:10 #7901 by andypugh
cncbasher wrote:

also try reversing the logic of the step and direction lines

Ah, yes, good point. My setup worked far better when I inverted the step signals. (Inverting direction reverses the motors, and as those are effectively DC signals, you won't see any benefit from it)

You can invert the signals with the checkboxes in stepconf.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Mar 2011 22:35 #7905 by Rick G
If after Andy pointed out you do not have voltage issues, or you do and sort them out and still have issues, you might want to just set things up for a slower speed and try making moves at very slow speeds.
See if the error is speed related.
If the moves are O.K. at very slow speeds and you get the scale right it will help to find the problem.

Rick G

More
17 Mar 2011 22:58 #7906 by Rick G
Have you tried adjusting the step time and step direction settings at the start of the stepconfg?

More
17 Mar 2011 22:59 #7907 by Rick G
Make that step time and step space.

More
17 Mar 2011 23:19 #7908 by afkool
Good news!

Turns out it was the crappy parallel port screwing things up. I didn't do any measurements but I rigged the arduino to accept inputs and pass them out as 5v outs. Luckily the threshold for input high on the atmel is lower than the driver's. Guessing the atmega has a fairly low reference voltage it uses. Now when I set the config all the numbers make sense. There is no longer a multiple of 5.

Very many thanks to everyone that offered suggestions.

More
18 Mar 2011 00:17 #7909 by BigJohnT
Glad you got it up and running.

John

More
18 Mar 2011 00:45 #7910 by andypugh
afkool wrote:

I rigged the arduino to accept inputs and pass them out as 5v outs

I assume that isn't your long-term solution?

Can you tell us the manufacturer and model of your stepper drivers? I am pretty sure that your problem can be solved with a bit of re-wiring and/or some pull-up resistors.

More
18 Mar 2011 08:03 #7913 by cncbasher
is this a laptop ? , due to laptops design they are poor in logic levels ( usualy only 3v logic and not 5v ) , which is why amongst others they are not recomended for machine control applications
or if a desktop pc try fitting a second LPT board , should cure your problem , glad you found the reason after all the hard work .

the other dodge is to fit ULN2008 driver chips or even a simple transistor level shifter will do , amongst others

More
18 Mar 2011 09:59 - 18 Mar 2011 10:00 #7916 by andypugh
I went back the the beginning of the thread, where you described the hardware.

The board has no opto-isolators, so I think you need to use the scheme in the attached pic.

At the moment you are relying on the p-port voltage to trigger the driver chips, which as you have seen is rather marginal.

In the second picture you are relying on the p-port current-sinking capability. Logic-low sinks 5v/1k = 5mA into the p-port pin, pulling the driver input pin close to 0V, and a logic-low is registered by the driver. Logic high puts the pin at (probably) 3.3V but with a high input resistance, so no current flows into the port pin and the driver pin sees a nice solid 5V.

I think you will find a handy 5V on the manual-control header.

I started off with a very similar board (but blew the drivers several times, and replaced with a more expensive option). I don't know if you have noticed but the manual control area is a 555 timer pulse generator connected to some headers. If you do look for 5V from there, make sure it isn't one of the pulse channels :-)
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Mar 2011 10:00 by andypugh.

More
18 Mar 2011 14:03 #7921 by afkool
I am using a standalone pc. No laptop here. Also the port was an onboard port. Just for kicks I dual booted the other pc I tried (Had win 7/mach3) with linux/emc2 and it works fine on that machine now. I guess in my testing I messed up my mach3 settings so the previous test was erroneous. Anyway. I now can use the cnc on this other pc without having to through any signal conditioning. The motherboard must be providing better signals. I'll have to look into a more permanent solution if I want to make this pc independent.

Time to create page: 0.192 seconds