Intel Atom D2500 display problems

More
23 Sep 2013 02:59 #39113 by Rudderless
You are so right about displays!

How au fait are you with installing new kernels etc?

Rusty enough to be considered a near novice, but the learning experience should start to hone a few old skills (provided that I don't sudo myself into self-destruct). I am sure that if you can give me some instructions and pointers then I should be able to muddle my way through.

Thanks for your help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Sep 2013 13:27 #39125 by KenC
This is a great thread, I just saw some D2500HN showing up in my local PC shop. Seriously doubt if it has display compatibility with LinuxCNC.
Now I its all clear to get one.
Would volunteer myself for installing Arceye's new kernels.

More
23 Sep 2013 15:55 #39129 by ArcEye
Hopefully not too long now.

I have packaged the kernel, modules, realtime and headers in one package, but have to install them onto a new install of 10.04, to work out what other things are needed to build linuxcnc against them.
I have so many development libraries on my machine everything just builds and I have long since forgotten everything I installed to get it that way B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: KenC

More
23 Sep 2013 16:49 #39130 by Rudderless

I have so many development libraries on my machine everything just builds and I have long since forgotten everything I installed to get it that way

And I have a very much barebones Linux installation! I guess I will need to download something like cryptsetup and a perl package as a starter.

Message for KenC

I just saw some D2500HN showing up in my local PC shop. Seriously doubt if it has display compatibility with LinuxCNC.
Now I its all clear to get one.

I would suggest that you look at the D2550 series boards as these come with both VGA and DVI-D display outputs, the D2500 only has a VGA output with no ability to plug in a graphics card. Sherline are currently shipping me the updated board, but it is stuck in the postal system at the moment. As it stands with my monitor/board combination the best I can get is 1024x768 out of the VGA. Hopefully, ArcEye's update should help the situation.

More
23 Sep 2013 18:34 - 02 Oct 2013 19:59 #39134 by ArcEye
Hi

What you need to establish first is whether this kernel has drivers which enable your video to work properly

To speed things up, I have packaged just the kernel plus the modules.
This is all you need to find out if the video chip will work properly with the experimental drivers in the 3.8 kernel

(EDIT: removed, discussion moved on to debian install as 10.04 did not work - see later posts)

Install with sudo dpkg -i 3.8.0-rtai-SMP-version.deb
The package will run a postinstall script to create /boot/initrd.img-3.8.0-rtai

You then need to run sudo update-grub so that grub finds the new kernel and updates your boot menu

Then just reboot, choose the 3.8.0-rtai kernel, and see what is automatically detected.
From there you most likely will have to repeat your steps but specify the gma500_gfx driver
(It is in /lib/modules/3.8.0-rtai/kernel/drivers/gpu/ off the top of my head)

If you can get the video to work, I will look at how best to package realtime and linuxcnc so that they can be installed with minimum of hassle.
I am just building everything from sources, but that is not going to be a reasonable step for most users.

My problem at the moment is that make-kpkg is not building the headers properly and the linuxcnc build errors from missing and conflicting headers
whereas building against the kernel sources just works

regards
Last edit: 02 Oct 2013 19:59 by ArcEye.

More
23 Sep 2013 20:37 #39139 by KenC
My local PC shop do not offer D2550, only D2500HN for now.
ark.intel.com/products/56460/Intel-Desktop-Board-D2500HN

Arc Eye, just place an order for D2500HN board, should have it before week end.

More
23 Sep 2013 20:43 #39140 by ArcEye

Arc Eye, just place an order for D2500HN board, should have it before week end.

OK, so long as you appreciate that this is just an experiment to see if the drivers in 3.8.0 will enable the GMA chip on that board to work properly.

It might still not work and you will be stuck with 1024x768 :evil:

More
23 Sep 2013 20:59 #39142 by KenC
Its dedicated for LinuxCNC, no cad, no cam, no Firefox, not even LibreOffice. I reckon 1024x768 should be good resolution for 19" 4:3 touch screen I hope. of course, if I can get higher resolution will be bonus.

More
23 Sep 2013 23:21 - 24 Sep 2013 02:14 #39143 by Rudderless

Download from www.mgware.co.uk/debian/3.8.0-rtai-SMP-version.deb
(It is built for Ubuntu 10.04LTS)

Install with sudo dpkg -i 3.8.0-rtai-SMP-version.deb
The package will run a postinstall script to create /boot/initrd.img-3.8.0-rtai

You then need to run sudo update-grub so that grub finds the new kernel and updates your boot menu

Working on it.........................................

Sadly it has not worked (or that how I read it) Process and results as follows:

I downloaded the .deb fine but when I tried sufi dpkg -i 3.8.0-rtai-SMP-version.deb the terminal said it could not find the file, so I added the directory path (in this case it was /sherline/downloads/ but I got the same results.

I located the file and right clicked, this gave the option to use Gdebi Package Installer and this worked fine.

I then did a sudo update-grub which also worked fine.

Then on the reboot the Ubuntu display came up (at a better resolution) but then went to the terminal window with the instruction to run do-release-upgrade, which is what I put into the command line.

It then when through several hours of downloading file and installing updates. Each time it stopped I continued the install until finally it said that the software was up to date.

On restarting again the Ubuntu screen came up with what appeared to be a good resolution display but then I got three lines that said:

grep: /system/power/state: no such file or directory
then
*Checking battery state [ok]

At this point the display hung, after sometime I did a cntr + alt + F1 which put me into the terminal window and after putting in the sysem name and password I tried the following:

$ sudo service gdm start
gdm start/running, process 1776
$ sudo service gdm stop
stop: unknown instance:

After a quick look on the internet I tried:

$ sudo service lightdm start

This took me to the GUI window which now had that additional text:

fsch from until-linux 2.20.1
/dev/sdal1: clean, 218450/15081472 files, 2461887/60310272 blocks
unable to connect to system bus: failed to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: connection refused
*setting sensor limits [ok]
speech-dispatcher disabled; edit /etc/default/speech-dispatcher
saned disabled; edit /etc/default/saned

Using cntl + alt + F1 to return to the terminal screen the display now shows:

$ sudo service lightdm start
failed to get D-bus connection

From this I assume that the processor has not liked whatever we loaded in, any suggestion? or should I do a complete reload?

Regards
Last edit: 24 Sep 2013 02:14 by Rudderless. Reason: Update

More
23 Sep 2013 23:26 #39144 by ArcEye

My problem at the moment is that make-kpkg is not building the headers properly and the linuxcnc build errors from missing and conflicting headers
whereas building against the kernel sources just works

I have solved the problem by creating my own headers.
I just wrote a script which took the compiled kernel sources and deleted all the binarys, modules and all forms of intermediate files and left all the .h, Kconfigs and Makefiles etc
This works fine, just tested it, no idea why kpkg which is supposed to be written for that purpose, made such a fist of it.

Just compiled the latest testing build of linuxcnc against these headers on a vanilla install of 10.04, so almost ready to go if the video modules pan out.

I will probably just bundle what I have compiled and give you a crash course in chmod and chown trickery :laugh:

regards

Time to create page: 0.270 seconds