Intel Atom D2500 display problems

More
24 Sep 2013 13:51 - 24 Sep 2013 14:05 #39152 by ArcEye

From this I assume that the processor has not liked whatever we loaded in,

It is nothing to do with the package or new kernel, you have decided to upgrade the distribution to 12.04 ( that is what do-release-upgrade does ) and it is screwed up. :S

I would save your xorg.conf file and anything else like your linuxcnc directory from your home folder to a USB stick and re-install from the Live CD (10.04 version)

Then once running (don't use the xorg.conf file yet in case it was that which left no display and triggered the upgrade prompt), repeat the package install (yes you do have to be in the same directory) and boot the 3.8.0-rtai kernel

Don't mess about with xorg.conf, just start up and if you get a terminal suggesting you upgrade ( I have never seen that happen, it should just be for servers) close it and continue.
Need to find out what resolutions are available with the new kernel from what udev etc picks up first, before messing about.

regards
Last edit: 24 Sep 2013 14:05 by ArcEye.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KenC, Rudderless

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Sep 2013 00:38 - 26 Sep 2013 00:40 #39186 by Rudderless
Got tied up yesterday!

Success today!!!!!!!!!! :)

I reloaded and got the display up with xorg.conf and then moved the file out of the way and into the /Home directory as well as renaming it to .bak.

Followed your instructions to the letter, and this time on the reboot it auto-detected just one display mode 1024x768, there is no detection of the lower display standards (which is fine by me).

Background information you may fine useful:

$ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 1024 x 768, current 1024 x 768, maximum 1024 x 768
default connected 1024x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
1024x768 0.0*

I have also attached a much improved log

I am not too sure what you what me to do with the gma500_gfx driver, I have located it at /lib/modules/3.8.0-rtai/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/gma500_gfx - Open to suggestions?

Many thanks
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Sep 2013 00:40 by Rudderless. Reason: File not attached

More
26 Sep 2013 18:19 - 26 Sep 2013 18:21 #39216 by ArcEye
Hi

Looks like an improvement.

I am not too sure what you what me to do with the gma500_gfx driver

Have a read of this thread
siduction.org/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=2385
It appears to work, the main posters complaint seems to be that he can't get above 1600x1200, which if that occurs I assume you can live with!

Basically you need to ensure there is a frame buffer driver to get the available modes and put the driver you want to use ie gma500_gfx in the xorg.conf file (the same way you did with vesa)
This means fbdev must be loaded (looks like it is already from the log file) and gma500_gfx must be specified and not blacklisted somewhere else (/etc/modprobe-d/blacklist.conf)

Try sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-fbdev, hopefully it will tell you it is installed at its newest version, or it will install it.

Before doing anything, make sure that you are familiar with booting up in recovery mode and dropping into a root shell
If the changes to xorg.conf screw up and lock the machine, you will be able to crash out, re-boot into recovery mode and move the xorg.conf file so that it will boot again in graphics mode.

Afraid I can't offer much else, long distance guidance has its limitations, it ends with hands-on trial and error a lot of the time.
But you sorted the vesa module so I have high hopes you will get this working to whatever extent it is capable of.

Then we can get linuxcnc and realtime working.

See how you get on

regards
Last edit: 26 Sep 2013 18:21 by ArcEye.

More
26 Sep 2013 22:26 - 26 Sep 2013 22:28 #39222 by Rudderless
Hi,

I have followed your instructions and I now have the xorg.conf file in the correct directory /etc/X11 (I forgot how sensitive Linux is to directory names and you need to ensure the correct capitals are used - well I did say I was rusty).

The reason xorg.conf dropped me into the root shell was the vesa driver.

This means fbdev must be loaded (looks like it is already from the log file) and gma500_gfx must be specified and not blacklisted somewhere else (/etc/modprobe-d/blacklist.conf)

I checked the blacklist and gma500_gfx was not specified.

I have amended "vesa" to read "fbdev" and it now boots up to the Linux GUI but only at 1024x768, just to check that the gma500_gfx driver is installed I ran and got:

$ lsmod | grep gma
gma500_gfx 150534 2
drm_kms_helper 23520 1 gma500_gfx
drm 171974 2 gma500_gfx,drm_kms_helper
i2c_algo_bit 4320 1 gma500_gfx
i2c_core 15145 4 gma500_gfx,drm_kms_helper,drm,i2c_algo_bit
$

Try sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-fbdev, hopefully it will tell you it is installed at its newest version, or it will install it.

The xserver-xorg-video-fbdev was at the correct standard and nothing installed.

So I assume that we have reached the end of the line here and at this board standard the best that can be achieved is 1024x768?

Regards
Last edit: 26 Sep 2013 22:28 by Rudderless.

More
26 Sep 2013 23:53 - 26 Sep 2013 23:57 #39223 by ArcEye

I have amended "vesa" to read "fbdev" and it now boots up to the Linux GUI but only at 1024x768, just to check that the gma500_gfx driver is installed I ran and got:

You do not have to specifically load fbdev, you need to swap vesa for gma500_gfx so that it knows to use it.

Then run dmesg > dmesg.txt and attach the file dmesg.txt that is attached plus the xorg.log

regards
Last edit: 26 Sep 2013 23:57 by ArcEye.

More
27 Sep 2013 00:46 #39226 by Rudderless

You do not have to specifically load fbdev, you need to swap vesa for gma500_gfx so that it knows to use it.

I did try this originally but it went to the root on boot-up, so I thought I had misread the instructions. I have just modified the xorg.conf file to read:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Generic Device"
Driver "gma500_gfx"
EndSection

Again it went to the root/terminal on boot-up, I sudoed to change the xorg.conf to xorg.conf.bak and then ran the dmesg > dmesg.txt (this is the attached file 3 dmesg.txt)

I have also included the dmesg with fbdev and the xorg.0.log file when gma500_gfx is in the xorg.conf file.
Attachments:

More
27 Sep 2013 14:33 #39259 by ArcEye
Hi

I am pushed for time until later today, but a quick scan of the xorg log shows that it went to a shell because it could not load gma500_gfx, not because it did not work

(II) LoadModule: "gma500gfx"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module gma500gfx
(II) UnloadModule: "gma500gfx"
(EE) Failed to load module "gma500gfx" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) No drivers available.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

I will have a proper look at it later and see whether there is something that can be done.

regards

More
27 Sep 2013 15:03 #39261 by Rudderless
Sure, no problems. I am wondering if we might have missed out a step somewhere to actually install the driver, I have left my system booted up, although it has not used the xorg.conf on this boot the command lsmod | grep gma produces the same output as it did with fbdev identified as the driver.

$ lsmod | grep gma
gma500_gfx 150534 2
drm_kms_helper 23520 1 gma500_gfx
drm 171974 2 gma500_gfx,drm_kms_helper
i2c_algo_bit 4320 1 gma500_gfx
i2c_core 15145 4 gma500_gfx,drm_kms_helper,drm,i2c_algo_bit
$

More
27 Sep 2013 20:21 #39265 by ArcEye
Hi

First thing to try is, in a terminal
cd /lib/modules/3.8.0-rtai
sudo depmod -a

That will recreate the module dependencies,( but I am pretty sure that they are OK becuase all the other stuff listed is getting loaded, as per your lsmod)
Then try booting with gma500_gfx specified in the xorg.conf

In about an hour I will be able to boot the machine with the 3.8.0-rtai kernel and see what will load manually etc

regards

More
27 Sep 2013 21:37 #39268 by Rudderless

First thing to try is, in a terminal
cd /lib/modules/3.8.0-rtai
sudo depmod -a

linuxcnc@linuxcnc-desktop:/lib/modules/3.8.0-rtai$ sudo depmod -a
linuxcnc@linuxcnc-desktop:/lib/modules/3.8.0-rtai$ sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak /etc/X11/xorg.conf
linuxcnc@linuxcnc-desktop:/lib/modules/3.8.0-rtai$

It paused for a few seconds during the sudo depmod -a but gave no terminal output.

Rebooted and it went to the terminal - renamed the xorg.conf file to .bak

I have included the xorg.conf file so that you can see what I have put and where.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds