Please recommend a small PC - Mesa 5i25, 7i76

More
24 May 2018 16:49 #111091 by NCPatrol
I bought this machine a couple months back:
forum.linuxcnc.org/12-milling/29997-brid...epper-to-servo#66035

It came with a decent size tower PC that's overkill for it. It's also taking up valuable floor space and getting covered in chips and coolant where I current have to put it.

I'd like to find a relatively cheap, small PC to replace it. Ideally something I can mount in the cabinet or at least on/behind the machine. As a bonus, I'd like to free up PC that came with it because it'll handle the CAD/CAM work better than my current home computer.

I've read most of the tech on PC selection and have a decent handle on what's needed. I've run the latency test on a couple of my spare laptops and most failed (though I've been told that since it's not using software stepping) - but the PCI mesa card kind of rules out a laptop.

So....can anyone point me toward a decent, small office PC that will work well with my setup? Ideally something I can pick up cheap on CL or Ebay would be great.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2018 22:28 - 25 May 2018 22:28 #111129 by PCW
Almost any PC from the last 10 years or so is likely to be OK as long as its BIOS allows you to disable any power saving options.
Off lease DC7800/7900/8000/8100/8200 HP SFFs are often available quite cheaply and work fine

Avoid the USFFs as they have no PCI slots so not for 5I25s (though OK for Ethernet cards)

For a new (fanless) system, the J1800 and J1900 based Mini ITX boards in a low profile case are smaller then the SFFs above
and will work with the standard LinuxCNC Wheezy based distribution. The newer (also fanless) J3355 based motherboards also work with Wheezy (the quad core equivalent of the J3355 boards (J3455 based) may also work but I have not tried)

Here's a J3355 MB I just tried with wheezy:
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157726
Last edit: 25 May 2018 22:28 by PCW.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tivoi

More
29 May 2018 15:58 #111268 by andypugh

So....can anyone point me toward a decent, small office PC that will work well with my setup? Ideally something I can pick up cheap on CL or Ebay would be great.

You don't need a complete PC. You might find it easier to mount just a bare motherboard inside the case with the other electronics.

Here is an example which is a Mini-ITX board with a 5i24 mounted over the top on a right-angle riser and then with a 7i44, 7i84 and 7i49 mounted close to the MB on the same base-board.

If you use a motherboard that takes 12V power and use an SATA DOM (SSD drive that clips directly into the SATA slot[1]) then there isn't a lot more to it than that.

The board-finder here: www.mini-itx.com/store/category?type=mot...&sortby=price&page=1 can be useful for finding DC-powered boards. (note that wide DC power and DC power are separate selections and you need to select one at a time to see both).

It may be that the difference in price between a DC-powered and ATX-powered motherboard makes it more expedient to use a PicoPSU instead.

(1) In the picture the DOM is on a very short SATA cable as I managed to snap the connector and had to solder on a cable to make it work again

More
29 May 2018 17:13 #111273 by NCPatrol
I like the concept, but looking at the cost it looks like I'd spend about 3x as much for the DC boards as I would for something like PCW posted above you.

I looks like I could go with that setup - $56 for the board and another $20 or so for a stick of ram and probably a PSU if I don't have one that would work. About $100 and I'm good to go. I already have a spare SSD that I plan to use in place of the HDD in the current machine.

I do like the idea of mounting it right inside the cabinet and that would be my preference. I have concerns about it picking up noise from the other stuff in there - should I be worried about that? I'm currently getting some random button presses that the PO suspects may just be the cheap USB keyboard picking up interference somehow - still need to try another keyboard to rule that out. I'd hate to see it get any worse though.

My goal here is cheap and functional. I don't have plans to use this for anything other than running the mill so I don't see much benefit in getting anything "extra" beyond what I need to run the machine. I don't even have network access in the shop at this point so I don't even need basic internet browsing ability.

Planning to do a little more research on the J3355 type boards posted above, but I'm leaning that direction.

More
29 May 2018 17:43 #111276 by andypugh

I do like the idea of mounting it right inside the cabinet and that would be my preference. I have concerns about it picking up noise from the other stuff in there - should I be worried about that? .

I think it is likely to be a concern, but I don't know if it is a problem. I haven't had any trouble, but neither of my machines have the PC in the same box as the actual drives (though I have had it in the same box as the VFD). Not because I have avoided the arrangement, but because it hasn't made sense to do it that way.

More
29 May 2018 17:55 #111278 by NCPatrol
It does seem like there's plenty of opportunity for some stray signals to mix thing up. I know someone else I've talked to that built a similar machine said he was able to solve a lot of it but putting ferrite chokes on everything. That's a cheap enough solution if that's all it takes.

My box is also huge and begging to be tidied up a bit. I may be able to move some stuff around to get some better isolation from the PC or even possibly construct a big of a cage around it to block some noise. Worst case, it won't kill me to mount it in a case outside the box if it comes down to it. I just really want to get rid of the big tower I currently have.

More
29 May 2018 19:18 #111280 by PCW
In general you are probably better off noise wise if you put the PC into the control box
since you will have fewer issues with ground loops.

Then just make sure that the 7I76/5i25 wiring is kept away from noise sources (line power, VFD/servo/steppermotor wiring etc)

More
29 May 2018 21:17 #111287 by NCPatrol
Alright, any difference between the J3355B you posted:
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item...13-157-726-_-Product

And this J3355M?
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item...13-157-730-_-Product

Looks like the 2nd one takes full size memory and has 2 addtional PCIe 1 slots. Any benefit to one over the other?

While I'm asking - is there any reason to go for more memory or is ~2 gigs enough?

More
29 May 2018 21:24 - 29 May 2018 21:46 #111289 by andypugh
Micro-ATX (244x244) is, perhaps surprisingly, bigger than Mini-ATX(170x170). But otherwise they should be very similar.
Last edit: 29 May 2018 21:46 by andypugh.

More
29 May 2018 21:35 #111290 by NCPatrol
heh....there's my answer! Didn't even notice the micro/mini in the title. Although I can probably fit either, smaller will be better down the road if I try to consolidate to a smaller box.

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds