Please recommend a small PC - Mesa 5i25, 7i76

More
20 Jun 2018 22:44 #112676 by NCPatrol
Got it...I think. I'm using an SSD that apparently has on old Win7 install on it and that must have been confusing things, despite sata being completely off in the boot settings. Unplugged the ssd and it booted from the flash.

Guess I need to start with the ssd formatted.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2018 01:09 #112680 by InMyDarkestHour
May need to press F11 to choose the boot device.

More
01 Jul 2018 13:42 #113165 by NCPatrol
Alright, so I got the installed done and everything's working....almost. I'm running in to a display resolution issue - it will only display in 640 x something with no other options to change it. This, of course, is cutting off about 2/3 of the LinuxCNC display. I'm assuming it's a driver issue or lack thereof.

I know next to nothing about Linux and how its driver's work. Can anyone point me to a good step by step resource on how to update the video drivers?

I found the driver's on Intel's Linux site, but I have no idea which files I need or what to do with them!!
01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads/2018q1-in...raphics-stack-recipe

The good news is that the mill itself seems to be working great. I ran the sample program. It's a tad off since it was cam'd for a 10mm cutter and I only had a 3/8" available, but close enough!
Attachments:

More
01 Jul 2018 15:20 - 01 Jul 2018 15:20 #113166 by andypugh
Unfortunately graphics driver modes seem to be an area where the internet is full of advice that doesn't work.

I have tried a number of options (and I don't necessarily discourage you from doing the same) but have always come back to the (supposedly outmoded method) of creating an xorg.conf file and adding screen modes to it.

For example my lathe contains this in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file
Section "Device"
    Identifier    "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier    "Configured Monitor"
    HorizSync       30-80
    VertRefresh     60-75
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier    "Default Screen"
    Monitor        "Configured Monitor"
    Device        "Configured Video Device"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection "Display"
        Depth    24
        Modes     "1280x1024"
    EndSubSection
the xorg.conf file probably doesn't exist. It is supposedly outmoded and replaced by other things (such as xrandr) but I don't seem to be able to beat those in to submission. But if you create the file then it will be used.
Last edit: 01 Jul 2018 15:20 by andypugh.

More
01 Jul 2018 15:23 #113167 by PCW
It may also be a monitor/monitor cable problem. I think if the driver cannot read the native monitor resolution it will fall back to 640x480

More
01 Jul 2018 15:35 #113169 by NCPatrol

It may also be a monitor/monitor cable problem. I think if the driver cannot read the native monitor resolution it will fall back to 640x480

Now you have me wondering...

The old PC only had DVI and he used a DVI to HDMI cable. The new one is HDMI but I didn't feel like pulling a new cable so I used a converter to go from DVI to HDMI in to the new board. I wonder if that converter is confusing things. Guess I need to open up the panel and try a direct HDMI cable before I do anything too stupid.

More
03 Jul 2018 11:32 #113307 by NCPatrol
Well, I'm still striking out.

I tried a straight HDMI cable and no change.

I don't have network access in my shop so I had to move the computer inside to try to update. What I noticed is that when I plug it in to a different monitor, it works perfectly at full resolution so there's likely something about the machine's monitor that doesn't play well with the on-board graphics.

The problem is that the machine's console was basically built around this monitor and swapping it with a newer model is going to be an ordeal.....and there's really no reason why this one shouldn't work.

I tried updating the Intel graphics drivers from directions I found on another site and it told me that everything was already up to date.

I've found a few sites that recommend modifying xorg.conf, but that file doesn't exist on my machine.

I'm still lost...

More
03 Jul 2018 11:49 #113309 by Clive S

I've found a few sites that recommend modifying xorg.conf, but that file doesn't exist on my machine.

Did you see andypugh post:- the xorg.conf file probably doesn't exist. It is supposedly outmoded and replaced by other things (such as xrandr) but I don't seem to be able to beat those in to submission. But if you create the file then it will be used.

More
03 Jul 2018 11:55 #113311 by NCPatrol
Errr...read that the other day and apparently just blended it in with all the other site's I've been reading!

Is it as easy as just creating a text file with that info and renaming it to xorg.conf?

More
03 Jul 2018 12:03 #113312 by Clive S

Errr...read that the other day and apparently just blended it in with all the other site's I've been reading!

Is it as easy as just creating a text file with that info and renaming it to xorg.conf?

Sorry I am not the man to ask for this but Andy may pop back and answer at some point.

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds