More
29 Sep 2019 16:00 - 29 Sep 2019 16:04 #146595 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Raspberry Pi 4
I have finished the inmux module driver but its not merged into LinuxCNC yet

I have a bunch of new modules, and some additions that are not merged yet

7C80/7C81 Berthos RPI4 fixes+ my 7C80/7C81 support

Offset PWM mode added to PWM module

Inmux module support (7C80, 7I95, 7I97)
(inmux is input multiplexer for Input expansion, adds digital filter on inputs and 4 MPG counters with 1x/4x modes)

7I94, 7I95, 7I97 Ethernet board support
Last edit: 29 Sep 2019 16:04 by PCW.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Sep 2019 16:17 #146597 by Chris D
Replied by Chris D on topic Raspberry Pi 4

I have finished the inmux module driver but its not merged into LinuxCNC yet

I have a bunch of new modules, and some additions that are not merged yet

7C80/7C81 Berthos RPI4 fixes+ my 7C80/7C81 support

Offset PWM mode added to PWM module

Inmux module support (7C80, 7I95, 7I97)
(inmux is input multiplexer for Input expansion, adds digital filter on inputs and 4 MPG counters with 1x/4x modes)

7I94, 7I95, 7I97 Ethernet board support

If I am interpreting that correctly, that sounds like fantastic news for everyone that wants to use the RPI4 with the 7C80 board. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Chri

More
29 Sep 2019 16:38 #146600 by acondit
Replied by acondit on topic Raspberry Pi 4
Well if I could just read. I missed the "edit debian/control.bottom.in". Running the process now.

More
29 Sep 2019 17:16 #146602 by Gene1934
Replied by Gene1934 on topic Raspberry Pi 4

Well if I could just read. I missed the "edit debian/control.bottom.in". Running the process now.

Humm, the last time I did that, for a 7i90HD mesa card, I didn't have a debian/control.bottom.in file? What else did I miss?

I am slowly taking 1.6mm off the heat sinks legs because the heat conductive padding I got from Startech is about that much thinner than what came with that covers the whole top of the rpi4 heat sink. There legs are so fragile, I'm going .1mm at a time, sweeping y, then dropping z. At the feeds, almost 4 hours a leg, I could speed it up with a bigger stepover and a deeper cut, but those legs next to the gpio pins are nearly as fragile as a soap bubble. When I remount for the front legs, which are much stouter, I'll double both cuts.

Thank you.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
--
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Genes Web page <geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene>

More
29 Sep 2019 23:29 #146642 by acondit
Replied by acondit on topic Raspberry Pi 4
I finally got linuxcnc all installed.

I can relate to the problems of machining or just holding on to heatsink fins. That is one thing I like about the RockPro64 because it is a bigger board, they have a heatsink that fits with no drama. However, it has much less developer support than the Raspberry pi 4b. It is slightly faster 1.8ghz vs 1.5ghz but if the rpi 4b had been available when I ordered (and if I knew then what I know now) I would have bought the rpi 4b.

I just ordered a usb3.0 to ethernet adapter. I should get it by the end of the week so I can then start configuring for the 7i76e.

Alan

More
30 Sep 2019 03:07 #146671 by Gene1934
I just ordered 2 heat sink kits from canakit. By the time I get that big sink adapted to use the ultra thin heat padding from startech, there won't be anything left of it as taking the measured 1.6mm off the legs, also needs that same 1.6mm removed from the area above the otg and dual hdmi sockets, both of the camera sockets will need lengthened slots, and I'll have to cut into the thin area above the audio out connector so deep the fins will be bars across the top of it. And a chunk of modeling clay says the pillars that reach down to put the squeeze of the thermal pads will, with the startech stuff in the gap, will need 4 to 7 layers of it to touch the chips. So this idea looks nice, but without the super thick padding supplied with that heat sink, not even a poor C.F. And nobody is selling that stuff. So, I'm sitting on my butt till those stick on sinks get here. The header extenders are nice, but they will stand so tall there is not room left for the fan in my stackup of interface cards. Grrrrr. Whyinthehell don't they sell the thick stuff, or better yet, make the pillars that reach toward the chips, tall enough for normal padding? The lack of co-ordination in this market to assure that everything works is in-excusable. I know the why, this way the board can warp without loss of thermal contact.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
--
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

More
06 Oct 2019 11:59 #147242 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Raspberry Pi 4
Can you post a photo of your setup?

JT

More
06 Oct 2019 12:49 #147244 by skunkworks
Replied by skunkworks on topic Raspberry Pi 4
a bit a playing

More
06 Oct 2019 14:49 #147249 by Gene1934
No clue wth is going on John, I had a long reply close to sending, when FF cleared the screen and went to a news story about a hero shelter cat that killed a copperhead in an 81 yo's bedroom. ???

Anyway, I need to take some fresh pix, so tell me what you want to see AND how to post them here. But its raining here for the first time in almost 2 months.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
--
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

More
06 Oct 2019 15:17 #147251 by Gene1934
Thats downright purty Sam. What I'm trying to do here is not spend another $250+ for ethernet interfacing. The spi on the pi3 works great, but the video is glacial, like glxgears made full screen is 1.7 fps. I've seen nearly 60 fps from a buster 10.1 boot, and now 10.2 is out, but RealtimePi hasn't caught up to buster's 4.19.y yet. And it looks like guysoft has quit maintaining it.

Thanks for posting it, it gives me hope that someday, spi will work on the 4. So far all builds on the pi4 for preemt-rt kernels have booted up with a slightly shrunken screen and no mouse or keyboard. dmesg shows them when logged in with ssh -Y, but the system isn't using them. They show refreshed in dmesg if you move the wireless dongles, but that doesn't connect them to the system. Discouraging. Ideas welcomed.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
--
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bertho

Time to create page: 0.490 seconds