Raspberry Pi 4

More
09 Dec 2019 03:05 #152353 by Gene1934
Replied by Gene1934 on topic Raspberry Pi 4
Another update, its been real, a bit too real here.

First, they've installed the stent to expand the clearance needed to get the new valve installed, and my next visit is on the 11th of December to see if they now have adequate space to inject the valve. I'm feeling moderately decent in the meantime, but did find out I can't pickup up a BS-1 indexer without building a skyhook, the biggest part of it is 56kg. I did get it 3 feet from the shipping box to inside the garage door and out of the weather, where its still sitting.

In the meantime, my mobo on the main machine, this one, shorted out a usb breakout cable at the motherboard connector that took a fire extinguisher to put out, stinking up the place something terrible, so I had to drag an old dell out of the midden heap in the garage, did some email but not enough memory to get on here and post about it. But the mobo has now been replaced with a bigger, better one with 32G of dram, a 6 core i5 cpu running nearly 2x faster than the old phenom, and my web page should be accessible again. Goto my web page, add lathe-stf to the address bar, and see linuxcnc4rpi4 in the list and click on that, its all prebuilt for 7i90HD/7i42TA's for interface card's and probably works with the 7C80 family of cards too.. There's a huge 4.19.kernel image there too, see Big Johns install instructions, works pretty good as an rt kernel. So help yourself.

So I'm still sucking air regular. More than I can claim for the missus, this colder weather is taking her downhill. COPD.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
--
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Genes Web page <geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Dec 2019 17:14 #152379 by RyanG
Replied by RyanG on topic Raspberry Pi 4

You are going to have to setup the hal file manually... there is an example using gpio... Hmmm

github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/commit/e0dc...52586d505f4b9bcda60d

at the bottom. Remember the GPIo pins in hal are actual pin number on the header (not the rpi numbering)

Hey guys, I have been working on getting my pi 4 setup to run linuxcnc through parallel port but I am not sure how to select Step and Dir from the options provided. What should I be selecting to setup the axis? There is no option for step and dir so I am assuming it should be something else but I don't want to try all of them. I appreciate your time and assistance.

Ryan

Thank you for the quick reply. I am assuming I can add just the last two declarations right? Or do I need to put everything in that example in the Hal file?

More
09 Dec 2019 17:18 #152383 by RyanG

Another update, its been real, a bit too real here.

First, they've installed the stent to expand the clearance needed to get the new valve installed, and my next visit is on the 11th of December to see if they now have adequate space to inject the valve. I'm feeling moderately decent in the meantime, but did find out I can't pickup up a BS-1 indexer without building a skyhook, the biggest part of it is 56kg. I did get it 3 feet from the shipping box to inside the garage door and out of the weather, where its still sitting.

In the meantime, my mobo on the main machine, this one, shorted out a usb breakout cable at the motherboard connector that took a fire extinguisher to put out, stinking up the place something terrible, so I had to drag an old dell out of the midden heap in the garage, did some email but not enough memory to get on here and post about it. But the mobo has now been replaced with a bigger, better one with 32G of dram, a 6 core i5 cpu running nearly 2x faster than the old phenom, and my web page should be accessible again. Goto my web page, add lathe-stf to the address bar, and see linuxcnc4rpi4 in the list and click on that, its all prebuilt for 7i90HD/7i42TA's for interface card's and probably works with the 7C80 family of cards too.. There's a huge 4.19.kernel image there too, see Big Johns install instructions, works pretty good as an rt kernel. So help yourself.

So I'm still sucking air regular. More than I can claim for the missus, this colder weather is taking her downhill. COPD.

Gene,

Wishing you the best on this journey! Sounds like a move to warmer weather may help.

Thank you for all your work and assistance. I visited your site the other day and couldn't get through. Since you have updated it I will give it a shot again.

Ryan

More
09 Dec 2019 22:06 - 09 Dec 2019 22:08 #152398 by RyanG
I modified the Hal file under the linuxcnc folder to include the gpio declaration as posted earlier. I have always gotten a hostmot2 error but ignored it because I don't plan on using the mesa cards due to size and price. Due to this, linuxcnc is pulling I/O cards from the firmware and making me set up a mesa card even when I deselect it in the beginning of a Pnconf wizard setup. How do I disable that or modify the Hal so it isn't an option for me? I am not sure what I need to remove or add. I would like to use a BOB through parallel port to communicate with the Pi. I am using the image that was provided earlier by Spacehitchhiker42 on page 13. (drive.google.com/open?id=1JbPiXr_i8be1GWVPG8PJmr7NlOo6WpKD) this is what he posted. I was going to start over again with what Gene posted above but I am not sure if that would get me any closer.

One more thing. The stepconf also doesn't work. How can I fix that?

Ryan
Last edit: 09 Dec 2019 22:08 by RyanG.

More
09 Dec 2019 22:10 #152399 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic Raspberry Pi 4
If you intend to use a parallel port then you should use stepconf rather than pncconf

More
09 Dec 2019 22:37 #152401 by Gene1934
Whats your ipv4 address, I'll make sure iptables isn't blocking you, I've had quite a battle with the bots and since they change addresses nearly everyday, I've taken to using the CIDR /24 format when I block one. Not all are bad, I don't mind the indexers, but quite a few try to mirror it, and will come back the next day for a fresh copy. Do that enough times, and I'm DDOS'd for upload bandwidth. Its only a 10 megabit circuit, so about 350k/sec upload and my pipe is full.

So give me your address and I'll make sure it will clear.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
--
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

More
09 Dec 2019 22:53 #152403 by RyanG

If you intend to use a parallel port then you should use stepconf rather than pncconf

Okay, since it isn't working do I need to get a different image?

More
09 Dec 2019 22:53 #152404 by RyanG

Whats your ipv4 address, I'll make sure iptables isn't blocking you, I've had quite a battle with the bots and since they change addresses nearly everyday, I've taken to using the CIDR /24 format when I block one. Not all are bad, I don't mind the indexers, but quite a few try to mirror it, and will come back the next day for a fresh copy. Do that enough times, and I'm DDOS'd for upload bandwidth. Its only a 10 megabit circuit, so about 350k/sec upload and my pipe is full.

So give me your address and I'll make sure it will clear.

Here you go: 10.72.13.141.

Thank you!

More
09 Dec 2019 23:42 #152410 by Gene1934
Nope, not on the block list. Should be good to go then. Add /lathe-stf to address bar and you should then see a linuxcnc4rpi4 directory to click on.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
--
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

More
09 Dec 2019 23:47 #152411 by RyanG

Nope, not on the block list. Should be good to go then. Add /lathe-stf to address bar and you should then see a linuxcnc4rpi4 directory to click on.

Okay. I will try again at home. I am at work and the firewall is most likely giving me issues.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds