Raspberry Pi 4

More
15 Sep 2019 18:01 #145276 by Gene1934
Replied by Gene1934 on topic Raspberry Pi 4
Sorry, Apologies and all that. I tend to forget this is a planetwide forum. As for the old fart and pension, I'm 84 yo, on SS here in the USA too. But you should have something peddling computer stuff within a short drive. I've no clue how the prices would compare though. u-sd cards fit most cameras and here even the drug stores carry a few of those. Usually at elevated prices though. I've been reworking cards myself today, putting the stuff from your shrunken image on cards without realtime kernels. But haven't gotten to the garage to test them yet. I'm also playing with the 64 bit net install. and I may have a working rpspi.ko driver for it, yet to be tested. Thhe one in the linuxcnc install doesn't like an rpi3b with a 64bit install. But just because the 64 bit buster boots from grub, making kernel swaps a piece of cake, I'd sure like to get that going on my rpi3b thats running my 11x54 Sheldon now.

What are you going to run with your project?

Cheers, Gene Heskett
--
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Genes Web page <geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Sep 2019 20:22 #145287 by Spacehitchhiker42
Replied by Spacehitchhiker42 on topic Raspberry Pi 4
ctrl-alt-f1 into the terminal. run sudo raspi-config and resize the image. it should resize the partition when you reboot and then the gui will work.

More
15 Sep 2019 21:00 #145290 by Gene1934
no video, not even while the green led is busy doing whatever. I've taken the first monitor back and traded it for one in a sealed box, but no video on it either, this with the hdmi_drive turned up to 8. The monitor simply does not sense the signal. I've taken the monitor to the rpi3 running the lathe, and it displays the rpi3b's 1920x1080 normally.

So I guess the $16 micro to std hdmi adapter is not working. I have 2 more real cheap, $3.50 a pair, coming from banggood along with that massive heat sink, so it looks as if the rp-4 is going to stay cold till those get here, no clue when since the chinese stuff might be shipping by donkey cart. I hope they ae good swimmers. lol.

I did find a 64G with a RealtimePi conversion of raspian stretch on it that runs the lathe, ok, albeit with glacial video. So I guess until the rp4 decides to make video, thats what I'm running with. I have another project for the 6040 gantry machine, I need to make some curtain hanger sliders for a 30 yo popup camper some friends own, and he's had some health problems, currently emptying a bag glued to a hole in his side for his excrement, so it hasn't turned a wheel in several years. But I told his missus I'd make some. So somewhere along the line I should round up a round tuit and write some gcode. Step and repeat thing, I've a 4 foot stick of white delrin, 1" b y 1/2" that I should be able get 35 or so of them out of. That will be about 3 sets of spares.

Putting your realtime kernel on a card with an pi3b buster 1.1 install on it, only partially boots with several pages of errors on the pi3b, so I assume its for an rpi4 only. Doesn't show any video on the rpi4. rpi4's green led looks like its booting to something, but I'm blind w/o working video of any kind.

Take care.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
--
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

More
16 Sep 2019 06:58 #145317 by tecno
Replied by tecno on topic Raspberry Pi 4

Sorry, Apologies and all that. I tend to forget this is a planetwide forum.

What are you going to run with your project?

No worries Gene.

My plan is to see whether it will run my upcoming plasma with 7i96. First I need to get Touch working =Aiptek USB.
Then PlasmaC.

Cheers
Bengt

More
16 Sep 2019 07:29 #145318 by Gene1934
Aiptek doesn't get me any touch screen hits, just cameras. I've an ex checkout display that has a touch, but its relatively slow 1200 baud, and I assume boxed responses, so I've never considered it for machine control. Its displaying a scan doubled output from a legacy computer, a trs80 color computer-3 in the basement. Way off topic for this list. lol

Cheers, Gene Heskett
--
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

More
16 Sep 2019 14:09 #145324 by tecno
Just found out that the Touch is non functional on the LCD I got from Ebay.

So ... here we go again to find a replacement LCD.

More
16 Sep 2019 14:43 #145326 by Gene1934
non-functional or needs a command to make it poll itself? I've looked at the output on the one I have, but haven't tried to write a mouse driver like for it. Or possibly change the serial mouse driver I did write to receive it. It outputs a hit with co-ords but only when touched. ISTR its 1200 baud, slower than a seriel mouse like the old DeXxa I use on the coco. logitek mice and ms mice have only one diff in the protocol, both running at 2400 baud, so I wrote the driver to start in logitek mode, and autoswitch the first time it see's the ms version for the 3rd button. Only works in os9, the aftermarket, unix-like os we've re-written extensively over the last 30 years. Finding several bugs and expanding the file system to handle up to 4GB had drives, we call it Nitros9 now. Discovering new commands hidden in the hitachi 6309 clone of the moto 6809, but its cmos, we've roughly doubled the speed of the os. it even has some 32 bit mulls and divides. Heady times those. Hitachi had perms to clone it, but they started from scratch and filled up the empty spots in the opcode array, but were enjoined from ever admitting they had improved it. Among other things by taking one clock out of the machine cycle. And 25 years later they're still mum.

I wish I still had the brains I had then. But a pulmonary embolism about 6 years back cost me me some IQ. Survival rates on those run about 2%. I sure as hell don't recommend it as a way to die though.

Take care now. Oh, that shrunken kernel, was that for a pi-4?

Cheers, Gene Heskett
--
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

More
16 Sep 2019 14:45 #145327 by tecno
Touch = No Go on Windows10 / Win8 = dead. Refund on its way.

Yes the shrunken is for Pi4 and it works OK so far.

More
16 Sep 2019 15:35 #145328 by Gene1934
Good, if and when I get video out of it, I'll take it for a longer walk, but I'm not using gpio for direct control, I using the hm2_rpspi.ko driver for a 7i90 card, buffered by a trio of 7i42A's which greatly simplifies the wiring and protects the 3.3 volt 7i90 from higher voltage gate destroying noise. That was written by Prof Bertho Stultains, but I already found it doesn't like an arm64 install, it was originally written for armhf. Bertho has sent me a version that should run on either, but without video I've not been able to test it on buster 1.1 yet. I found the ship message from banggood in my spam folder, that massive heat sink lid and a pair of the micro to std hdmi adapters s/b here around 10/03/19 if the schedule holds. And about a $20 bill cheaper than amazon. But thats another 2 weeks down the log. Just about the time they are working on me again. I'll turn the rpi4 upside down so the old video card fan can blow on the new sink and the 1" jumper should work just like it does on the rpi3. Its upside down too.

Thats the plan anyway. :) But Murphy (of Murphy's law fame) is about, that guy even drinks my last near beer occasionally.

Take care now.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
--
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

More
16 Sep 2019 20:01 #145339 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Raspberry Pi 4
Actually the 7I90 inputs are not 3.3V with normal jumpering but are 5V tolerant and
will take +7V maximum inputs. What usually causes damage is negative voltages < -0.5V
with unlimited current destroying the bus switch or FPGA input protection diodes.

This is often caused by things like shorting bare FPGA card inputs to
frame grounds on equipment that has motor drives (step drives, servo drives, VFDs, etc).
The frame grounds may have as much as a couple of volts of HF noise with amps of available
current relative to the FPGA card ground. This will instantly destroy the input protection diode.

If you don't want to use a fancy input protector, a 100 Ohm series resistor will do 99% of the negative
input protection.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike_Eitel, seuchato

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds