Script for automated testing of computer latency.

More
17 Nov 2020 03:54 #189574 by JohnnyCNC
This has me stumped. This is an ODROID H2+ that I got good results running the test manually but when I run this test script the latency is more than double.
LinuxCNC pc tests, version 20200930, started 16.11.2020 20:33:33
********************************************************************************
General info:
HARDKERNEL,  ODROID-H2
Bios version 5.13, dated 08/11/2020
Chipset: Harddisk is non-rotational, ie. SSD
The amount of swap currently used is 0
================================================================================
CPU related data:
model name	: Intel(R) Celeron(R) J4115 CPU @ 1.80GHz
cpu cores	: 4
stepping	: 1
cache size	: 4096 KB
================================================================================
RAM related data:
Maximum Capacity: 32 GB
Maximum Voltage: 1.5 V
Maximum Voltage: 1.5 V
Size: 4096 MB
Size: 4096 MB
GPU related data:
product: Intel Corporation
configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
Parallel port related data:
number of parallel ports is 0
Os and desktop related data:
PRETTY_NAME="Linux Mint 19.3"

Should the info below not match with your machine,
kindly post the output of pstree here, including a brief
desciption of your desktop environment, window manager and
display manager. Tia
https://forum.linuxcnc.org/18-computer/39370-script-for-automated-testing-of-computer-latency

Desktop environment : lightdm
Windowmanager       : Xfwm4
Displaymanager      : lightdm
Kernel related data:
Kernel 4.19.106-rt46-lcnc
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet iscolcpus=2,3 splash"
Cpu idle driver: intel_idle
Kernel modules data:
Check if pcspkr is loaded: No, which is good!
Check if snd modules are loaded: No, which is good!
Keyboard & Mouse related data:
Number of mice: 1
Mouse 0 : Logitech M215 2nd Gen
Mice  attached to USB:
Keyboards attached to USB:
LinuxCNC related data:
LinuxCNC version is: 2.8.0
Preparing for latency test:
Started glxgears No. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Started firefox with 'https://vimeo.com/150574260', WID 69206019
Command for latency test is:
su john -c  "latency-histogram --nobase  --sbinsize 1000 --nox 2>&1 | tee -a 1605576810.lat &"

Latency testing loop started Mon Nov 16 20:33:50 EST 2020, 
should end after Mon Nov 16 22:33:50 EST 2020

Swap useage: prerun: 0, running: 0

CPU core temperatures:
Core 0: Tmin: 35.0°C, Tmax: 43.0°C, (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 1: Tmin: 35.0°C, Tmax: 43.0°C, (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 2: Tmin: 35.0°C, Tmax: 43.0°C, (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 3: Tmin: 35.0°C, Tmax: 43.0°C, (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
last latency data is as follows:.
 7203 secs  servo min:-134.700 uS max: 128.900 uS sdev:   3.800 uS
 7204 secs  servo min:-134.700 uS max: 128.900 uS sdev:   3.800 uS

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: seuchato

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Nov 2020 21:03 - 17 Nov 2020 21:04 #189625 by seuchato
did you run firefox with the vimeo link 'vimeo.com/150574260' along wit glxgears?
Last edit: 17 Nov 2020 21:04 by seuchato.

More
17 Nov 2020 21:23 #189626 by JohnnyCNC
I ran 5 glxgears and FireFox youtube videos. I just started another manually run latencey-tests 1ms 1ms.

More
18 Nov 2020 16:08 - 18 Nov 2020 16:53 #189685 by seuchato
Ok with youtube. The load on the pc is less with youtube, which is why I choose vimeo. If doing manually and comparing to script, kindly use the same basis.
Further, did you change each Glxgear window size at regular intervals in various percentages?
What do you mean by

I just started another manually run latency-tests 1ms 1ms.

1. an additional latency (second) test together with the script
  2. one single latency test started manually

Greez
chris

Kindly allow a remark: By the way, your observation just sort of verifies my findings prior to develop ping the script lcnc-hw, when test a "known good" PC off the list here . I could not reproduce the results. Lcnc-hw is just a proposal to "unify/norm/standarize" latency tests in such way that they are reproducible. Also note, I have observed results on the very same machine, varying by +/- 20%. So, I look for the order of magnitude, not the precise figure. We are in the process to retrofit a good old Schaublin lathe. The PC we intend to use for it is a Dell Optiplex 980. By tuning testing and retesting we think, the PC is good for 20'000 ns on basethread and probably 15'000 ns for servo thread. While configuring I' use in between 50 to 100% more, especially on base / parport based installs.
Last edit: 18 Nov 2020 16:53 by seuchato. Reason: Remark added

More
18 Nov 2020 21:56 #189736 by JohnnyCNC
I had started a single manual test using 5 glxgears and one youtube window running endless videos. I did not resize the gears but did move the you tube around on the screen a few times while checking on the machine. I will try another with Vimeo and try to expand the gear windows occasionally. The results of the tests I had said I was going to start are here.

I will run them again with Vimeo and be more abusive with the screen. Its just hard to keep that up over a 2 hour run unless it is automated. I will also rerun the scripted test.

Thanks
John
Attachments:

More
18 Feb 2021 16:26 #199285 by Cadmanxu
Hi, I just took my first steps with Linuxcnc. I want to thank the entire community of this forum since without their help it would be impossible to start the journey. This is the first message I make asking if someone can explain what happens. I have not used Linux before. I am testing a computer to see if it is suitable. I have run the scripts and on one occasion the test was running for an hour, but I have not been able to do it again, I cannot resolve an error with my Firefox browser.
The video and test window closes and names an IPDL PROTOCOL ERROR. It works only 15-20 seconds, how could I solve it?
Thank you very much for the help

File Attachment:

File Name: ipdlerror.txt
File Size:8 KB
Attachments:

More
18 Feb 2021 16:30 #199288 by tommylight
If you plan on using parallel port, set the base period to 50000 and test again, if not do not use a base period for testing.
Latency seems quite good and still useable for software stepping (parallel port), but i have no idea what the errors are and why.

More
18 Feb 2021 18:05 #199316 by Cadmanxu
Thank you very much for your answer, I will make the change that you advise me. If I manage to solve the error or do the test with the script in any way, I will share the data as indicated in the post. Thanks for your help. Regards

More
18 Feb 2021 18:57 #199330 by tommylight
Even if the script does not finish there are still things to try and tune to get to use the PC.
Make a simple config for the machine and try to move it, or start a sim to get used to LinixCNC.

More
18 Feb 2021 19:15 #199333 by Cadmanxu
Okay, I'll follow those steps, thanks for your advice !!!!I will try to do simulations because my machine is not ready yet.

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds