Script for automated testing of computer latency.

More
20 Apr 2021 21:22 - 20 Apr 2021 21:23 #206572 by spumco
Trying to run the script, but I'm getting an error message:

(firefox:2062): dconf-CRITICAL unable to create file 'home/mill/.cache/dconf/user' :permission denied. Dconf will not work properly.

The script is running and reporting latency, but the error pops up when the Firefox/Vimeo test window opens. Video loads but does not start playing. Error message repeats almost continuously.

Complete and utter Linux novice, so I'm sure it's something I've done (or not done) regarding folder permissions. Did cut/paste the 'sudo ./lcnc-hw' command per instructions, so it isn't that.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ralph
Last edit: 20 Apr 2021 21:23 by spumco. Reason: added firefox blurb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2021 21:55 #206578 by Joco

Trying to run the script, but I'm getting an error message:

(firefox:2062): dconf-CRITICAL unable to create file 'home/mill/.cache/dconf/user' :permission denied. Dconf will not work properly.

The script is running and reporting latency, but the error pops up when the Firefox/Vimeo test window opens. Video loads but does not start playing. Error message repeats almost continuously.
Ralph

I had the same issue on Mint 19.3.
I used
chown -R <youruser>:root dbconf
to change the ownership on the dbconf dir and anything in it
Then used
chmod -R g+rw dbconf
to get the correct read/write permissions.

This allowed things to work. The video still does not auto play. I just kick that off with a mouse click by hand at the start. But the continual stream of errors has gone.

Cheers - J.
The following user(s) said Thank You: seuchato, spumco

More
20 Apr 2021 22:21 #206580 by spumco
That did the trick. Testing in progress.

More
20 Jan 2022 18:00 #232541 by seuchato

I have added the text from the .hw file to a text document. In the editor when making the answer it does not let me insert the file by the extension ...

File Attachment:

File Name: hw.txt
File Size:4 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: hw-2.txt
File Size:4 KB

Cadmanxu
I know, my answer is late. So, if obsolete, kindly disregard.
You get "Unexpected realtime delay on task 0 with period 25000". That means you need to increase base thread limit from 50000 to 100000.
Further, you have sound modules active. Block them.
When done, repeat running the script with latest version ( here ) and place results (.hw file) in this thread .
greez
chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
04 Feb 2022 16:26 #233979 by rdeeming
This change to the latency-histogram line 696 messes up the current script feeding off "secs" for reporting to the hw log file.
The following user(s) said Thank You: seuchato

More
05 Feb 2022 08:06 #234013 by seuchato

This change to the latency-histogram line 696 messes up the current script feeding off "secs" for reporting to the hw log file.

rdeeming
Actually the part for latency in the xyz.hw file is just the last two lines of the xyz.lat file that contain latency data. (like that, servo and base thread are covered).  I'll have to check if at all and if, how that change affects logging of latency data. Hope I can do it soon.
Greez
chris

More
12 Feb 2022 11:14 #234634 by msurmei
Maybe it's useful to report my latency experience. I am sharing only some overall figures, not the entire logs, sorry for that ...

Hardware: Asus M2NPV-VM, Athlon X2 BE-2350, Matrox Millenium II, 4GB memory, SSD.
Software: Debian 10 with RTAI.

The latency (base thread ) observed by running the script for more than 12 hours was around 14us.

But the more interesting result was obtained by running over ssh and disabling graphical interface completely on the linuxcnc machine ( runlevel 3) : under 7us for 12 hours test. This time I have only used latency-histogram and I have generated relevant load for a "runlevel 3" situation.

Disabling graphical interface is definitely not a new thing.  I wonder if anybody is  successfully using such setup for real action.
The following user(s) said Thank You: seuchato, tommylight

More
21 Feb 2022 14:50 #235463 by seuchato

Maybe it's useful to report my latency experience. I am sharing only some overall figures, not the entire logs, sorry for that ...

Hardware: Asus M2NPV-VM, Athlon X2 BE-2350, Matrox Millenium II, 4GB memory, SSD.
Software: Debian 10 with RTAI.

The latency (base thread ) observed by running the script for more than 12 hours was around 14us.

But the more interesting result was obtained by running over ssh and disabling graphical interface completely on the linuxcnc machine ( runlevel 3) : under 7us for 12 hours test. This time I have only used latency-histogram and I have generated relevant load for a "runlevel 3" situation.

Disabling graphical interface is definitely not a new thing.  I wonder if anybody is  successfully using such setup for real action.

This is interesting! Could you kindly post the .hw file? That's a summary of hardware, actual test run log (I am particularly inerested in the no of glxgears and firefox) and just the latest two lines of the very latency data. How did you manage to see what's going on? remote X-server?
Greez
chris

More
23 Feb 2022 12:19 #235595 by arvidb

Actually the part for latency in the xyz.hw file is just the last two lines of the xyz.lat file that contain latency data. (like that, servo and base thread are covered). I'll have to check if at all and if, how that change affects logging of latency data. Hope I can do it soon.

If this turns out to be a problem, can I suggest grepping for both "secs" and e.g. "us sdev" to keep the script compatible with both old and new versions of latency-histogram? "secs" should get lines from the old version, and "us sdev" should get lines from the current version. 'grep -e' should do the trick?
The following user(s) said Thank You: seuchato

More
23 Feb 2022 20:13 #235646 by seuchato
a solution is a solution. As an engineer, I could not oppose to a solution :-]
The following user(s) said Thank You: arvidb, tommylight

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds