Results of latency test, list of computers tested for use with LinuxCNC

More
24 Sep 2020 03:10 #183543 by seuchato
Will try them later today on mint 19.3.
Can I use these kernels on buster too?

Greez
chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Sep 2020 04:14 #183548 by BeagleBrainz
I haven't tried to install them on Buster only on Mint 19.x

More
24 Sep 2020 10:13 #183564 by tommylight

Can I use these kernels on buster too?

They should work on Buster, too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: seuchato

More
24 Sep 2020 21:18 - 24 Sep 2020 21:19 #183625 by txtrone
My first try. Using an old Lenovo laptop. Are these results considered unusable?
LinuxCNC pc tests, version 20200922, started 22.09.2020 19:38:55
********************************************************************************
General info:
LENOVO,  3254CTO
Bios version H0ET98WW (2.58 ), dated 08/18/2016
Chipset: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 
Harddisk is rotational
The amount of swap currently used is 0
================================================================================
CPU related data:
model name	: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz
cpu cores	: 1
stepping	: 9
cache size	: 3072 KB
================================================================================
RAM related data:
Maximum Capacity: 16 GB
Size: No Module Installed
Size: 4096 MB
GPU related data:
product: 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
Parallel port related data:
number of parallel ports is 0
Os related data:
PRETTY_NAME="Linux Mint 19.3"
Windowmanager = 
Kernel related data:
Kernel 4.19.106-rt46-lcnc
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
Cpu idle driver: intel_idle
Kernel modules data:
Check if pcspkr is loaded: No, which is good!
Check if snd modules are loaded: Yes, may cause bigger latency.
can probably be disabled in bios
Keyboard & Mouse related data:
Number of mice: 2
Mouse 0 : SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad
Mouse 1 : TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint
Mice  attached to USB:
Keyboards attached to USB:
LinuxCNC related data:
LinuxCNC version is: 2.8.0.39.g76260b4f7
Preparing for latency test:
Started glxgears No. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Started firefox with 'https://vimeo.com/150574260', WID 58720434
Command for latency test is:
su oldlt -c  "latency-histogram --nobase  --sbinsize 1000 --nox 2>&1 | tee -a 1600821509.lat &"

Latency testing loop started Tue Sep 22 19:39:10 CDT 2020, 
should end after Tue Sep 22 21:39:10 CDT 2020

Swap useage: prerun: 0, running: 0

CPU core temperatures:
Core 0: Tmin: 56.0°C, Tmax: 74.0°C, (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
last latency data is as follows:.
 7202 secs  servo min:-197.800 uS max: 192.900 uS sdev:   4.700 uS
 7203 secs  servo min:-197.800 uS max: 192.900 uS sdev:   4.700 uS
Last edit: 24 Sep 2020 21:19 by txtrone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: seuchato

More
24 Sep 2020 21:32 #183626 by tommylight
Might be usable for ethernet Mesa cards, but that will also depend on the ethernet chip used.
I would say that it is usable, and bumping the servo period to 2000000 would further improve chances of usability without to much of a hit in performance.

More
24 Sep 2020 21:49 #183631 by BeagleBrainz
What model Lenovo was that ?
Where you using a spinny HDD ?
Did you try tuning any of the BIOS power saving settings ?

More
24 Sep 2020 22:29 #183637 by txtrone
Model E430
Yes, the disk is spinny
I did not try tuning any BIOS power settings ... should I try some?
Also, besides loading a full loaded ISO ... do I need to be installing some other dependencies?

More
24 Sep 2020 23:16 #183644 by BeagleBrainz
For general use for running a machine no.
Unless you intend building Linuxcnc from source or using qt based screens. I'm can't comment on the Debian based ISOs but the Mint ones I put together will get you up & running without having to install anything apart from the deps for qt if needed if you wish to use one of the "eye candy" screens.

Yes the general rule is to disable as much power saving & speed step options as possible, this is mentioned ad nauseam on just about every thread discussing latency, tho this can cause a laptop to run a little hotter than normal.

More
24 Sep 2020 23:25 #183646 by txtrone

For general use for running a machine no.
Unless you intend building Linuxcnc from source or using qt based screens. I'm can't comment on the Debian based ISOs but the Mint ones I put together will get you up & running without having to install anything apart from the deps for qt if needed if you wish to use one of the "eye candy" screens.

Yes the general rule is to disable as much power saving & speed step options as possible, this is mentioned ad nauseam on just about every thread discussing latency, tho this can cause a laptop to run a little hotter than normal.

Got it. Will try that and run another round of tests. The kernel was not updating even though the updater says a newer version is available... is that by design?

More
24 Sep 2020 23:45 #183648 by BeagleBrainz
Best practice is not to update the realtime kernel, at least with the ISO's I put out. I spent quite a bit of time testing & building a few different kernels, even iterations of the same version. Personally I don't touch the kernel. I've had servers running for +7 years on the same hardware & kernel 24/7 with no issues. The reason I did do a total upgrade is that I was running Slackware and was getting a little tired of compiling up to 12 different packages to satisfy dependencies when wanting to install new software and keeping track of multiple versions of different libs.
I tested older & newer kernels than the one I put on the ISO. So far I haven't heard of any issues, apart from some teething problems when installing on UEFI systems, which has been addressed.
I can't really comment on the Debian based ISO as I don't use them myself.
Put it this way, if your PC runs for 15 years and without any hardware failures, the system will run without any issues for that time. The kernel and programs don't "get old & die" they will keep going & going.
I would guess that there are systems still running early versions of Linuxcnc on Ubuntu 10 that are performing just as well now as the day there were installed.

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds