Remora - Rpi Software Stepping Using External Microcontroller via SPI

More
03 Nov 2022 14:58 #255847 by Bari
Take look at this thread forum.linuxcnc.org/38-general-linuxcnc-q...ler-vs-parallel-port

The architecture of a LinuxCNC system (real time,unbuffered) vs GRBL and typical reprap (buffered) are different so not all hardware will easily crossover from one to another.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Nov 2022 02:46 #255887 by cakeslob

I have been a RepRapFirmware user on LPC and STM, so I am quite eager to try Remora with LinuxCNC. I will try to use it on a tabletop router/engraver.

remora-docs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/har...ml#controller-boards

Here is the boards that for sure work. SKR2 has the best support, but I dont know if you can find they anymore. Octopus boards also work, but the 429 version works the best. I have the MKS monster8 working mostly but I have an sd card issue. the fysetc spider is causing me a little trouble. I think some other buys have other boards workings but I dont know which ones off hand.

The one board you link to looks like an amtel chip, but doesnt look like it has an sd card spot. I wouldnt get one unless you can check the pinout. some of the 407 boards look like they would work, but you would probably be the first one.

What would happen to things that are not supported- for example the ESP8266? Its basically a daughterboard to provide WiFi and host controller to feed the controller gcode.

probably nothing I guess.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sinneD

More
06 Nov 2022 07:58 #256044 by sinneD
thanks for the reply.

I think I understand it, mostly. i am willing to try with an Fly-Mellow E3 bord, its STM32F407VGT6 based board. 
It's a 407 based controller, I am looking at the SKRV2.0 for basis.The attraction is that has stepstick connections and those pins are aviable. The expansion port that exposes the other pins are curious too. 

Here is the pinout- teamgloomy.github.io/images/fly_e3.svg
but I have annotated it here- 
File Attachment:

The issue I see is that pins PA6 & PA7  are fan control pins and there is a mosfet between the connector and the mcu. :(

I think that the other pins that are SPI capable can be reassigned. I have tried to color code them i the next image- gree highlight are ok. The red and orangeones are the issue. 

My question is can I redefine them in the Board pin assignments? I am looking here as example-
github.com/scottalford75/Remora/blob/mai...les/SKRv2/config.txt

Can I edit their assignments and recompile? 

sinneD

More
06 Nov 2022 23:58 - 06 Nov 2022 23:59 #256103 by sinneD
to rephrase my question- 

how can i tell the firware to use alternate pins for SPI1? Per the STM32F407 datasheet, these pins have the alternate funciton mapping by default. 

File Attachment:

I was looking for the equivalent of this pin mapping file in the remora hierarchy

tinyurl.com/d64v2kz7
Last edit: 06 Nov 2022 23:59 by sinneD.

More
07 Nov 2022 02:05 #256109 by cakeslob
If you dont already have that board I wouldnt go with that one. I dont see it for sale, but it looks more painful than necessary.

The thing you linked to,
github.com/scottalford75/Remora/blob/mai...les/SKRv2/config.txt
thats the pin config for other io

The thing your looking for is here, and here, the spi, sd card, and board would need to be added to firmware
github.com/scottalford75/Remora/tree/mai...areSource/Remora-OS5
github.com/scottalford75/Remora/blob/mai.../Remora-OS5/main.cpp

More
07 Nov 2022 05:56 #256116 by sinneD
cakeslob-

i do have that board already, it's running the machine with RRF3.

I have ordered a more suitable board in the meantime-
github.com/Mellow-3D/FLY-CDY. it has the full SPI compliment on its EXP2.

thanks for clarifying the difference in files. i will delve into this.

thanks

sinneD

More
07 Nov 2022 14:46 #256141 by cakeslob
Ok, if you already have one, and your down to clown,

github.com/scottalford75/Remora/blob/dev...ra-OS5/main.cpp#L122

Observe the SD/comms for the different boards. you will probably need to make similar changes for your board and maybe make a new target file, then recompile in mbed

github.com/scottalford75/Remora/tree/dev...areSource/Remora-OS5

More
09 Nov 2022 01:33 #256253 by sinneD
any idea if Remora with Raspi4 will be fast enough to read linear encoders for postion feedback, given enough I/O pins?

More
09 Nov 2022 02:34 #256255 by drewnabobber
Yes, this is no problem if you are using the dedicated quadrature/timer pins. We have tested this on the Flexi-HAL with the encoder input and it can read at quite high speeds. The issue is finding or building a board with enough encoders wired up (Flexi only has 1 for spindle sync)

More
09 Nov 2022 03:19 #256256 by Bari
These 3D printer boards don't include much IO for encoders since they don't typically use servos or closed loop steppers, or at least don't close the loop in the IO board. Making low cost IO boards is not a problem once stm32 availability returns or if we get RP2040 (Rpi Pico) or the i.MX RT1050 works out well.

www.raspberrypi.com/products/raspberry-pi-pico/

forum.linuxcnc.org/18-computer/44828-rem...-cnc-board?start=550

Time to create page: 0.229 seconds