Remora - ethernet NVEM cnc board

More
15 Mar 2023 01:14 - 15 Mar 2023 01:16 #266718 by cakeslob
I dont think the component is setting a default deadband on linuxcnc side, but for some reason it doesnt become an issue for all configurations. Setting the deadband to anything solves the issue. Without the deadband entry, halshow shows the deadband as 0. But this isnt a problem with all axis for me.

I have a configuration similar to frayja, but I only have this issue with my x and y axis. z and a dont have an issue at all. my x and y have a scale of 80.
my xy axis roll into place like a car with square wheels. X jog moves the y axis by 1 step, takes several seconds to stop moving sometimes at its worst.
github.com/cakeslob/upload_things/issues/1 this is 3 videos showing whats happening
Last edit: 15 Mar 2023 01:16 by cakeslob.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Mar 2023 05:23 - 18 Mar 2023 10:53 #266721 by andrewt12
I urge you to consider supporting the project via GoFundMe, as it's clear that the author has invested a significant amount of time and effort into its development. By donating to open source projects like this one, you can make a meaningful impact on the creation of free and valuable software. Even a modest contribution can cover basic expenses and facilitate important feature updates. Not only will your donation help the project to continue, but it's also a fantastic way to give back to the open source community and support its growth. So why not donate today and make a difference?

www.gofundme.com/f/remora-firmware-development
Last edit: 18 Mar 2023 10:53 by andrewt12. Reason: Link not working

More
16 Mar 2023 05:29 #266803 by scotta
andrewr12,

Thanks for the kind support and a big thank you to all that have made contributions. They do definitely help,

More
16 Mar 2023 05:30 #266804 by scotta

I dont think the component is setting a default deadband on linuxcnc side, but for some reason it doesnt become an issue for all configurations. Setting the deadband to anything solves the issue. Without the deadband entry, halshow shows the deadband as 0. But this isnt a problem with all axis for me.

I have a configuration similar to frayja, but I only have this issue with my x and y axis. z and a dont have an issue at all. my x and y have a scale of 80.
my xy axis roll into place like a car with square wheels. X jog moves the y axis by 1 step, takes several seconds to stop moving sometimes at its worst.
github.com/cakeslob/upload_things/issues/1 this is 3 videos showing whats happening

I haven't seen that behaviour, so I'm scratching my head now...

The deadband is definitely being set on the LinuxCNC side when there is no input on the pin itself.
if (*(data->deadband[i]) != 0)
			{
				deadband = *(data->deadband[i]);
			}
			else
			{
				deadband = 1 / data->pos_scale[i];
			}
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
18 Mar 2023 01:31 #266956 by cakeslob
Ok, because Im very surprised no one else has had the issue. If adding the deadband line didnt solve the problem, I was going to press the issue because I find it a safety concern. In practice its unlikely to cause harm, but unpredictable/uncommanded machine moves are still bad regardless of size.

It is strange because it happens to my X and Y axis but not A or Z axis for my open loop test machine.

I dont know if this is related to the issue, but it pointed me to deadband
github.com/Expatria-Technologies/remora-...0d1908806b4e4a67fad8
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
18 Mar 2023 10:25 - 18 Mar 2023 10:26 #266977 by frayja2002
Here is a quick video of what is happening to me, so you can see what it looks like on the screen.

Alex
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Mar 2023 10:26 by frayja2002.

More
19 Mar 2023 21:38 #267106 by scotta
Ok, so I've watched your screen captures and simulated the same scenario. The overshoot is occurring during high speed moves. The default Pgain is 1. The pgain is available as a pin and can be set manually or in HAL. Increasing this value to 10 or 100 tightens the response and eliminated the overshoot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, cakeslob

More
26 Mar 2023 07:28 - 26 Mar 2023 07:33 #267517 by frayja2002
Hi all

I have been playing with a NVEM RT-1052 box that I received & have been trying to flash the firmware. (My previous one was an STM32)

For the benefit of all who follow I thought I would post a summary of how I did it.

I was finding it a bit of a challenge & at one stage thought I might have blown the board. The DAPlink method didn't work for me either.

Thanks to fintech who posted the working command earlier in the thread.

So....
I used an ST-link programmer.
On a new install of Linuxcnc (Buster) install python-pip (not python3-pip)

sudo apt install python-pip

This will allow you to install pyocd....

sudo python -m pip install -U pyocd

You can then connect you ST-link via USB & connect that to your NVEM. Power on the NVEM.
I ran the following command as root because I wanted to be sure that there would be no per mission problems. If some-one would like to test this as a normal user, that would be good.

sudo pyocd flash ./remora-rt1052.bin --target mimxrt1050_quadspi

The file remora-rt1052.bin is located in the downloaded repository at Remora-RT1052-main/firmware. Make sure you are in the right place.

Set you IP address to 10.10.10.9 & try pinging 10.10.10.10
I have attached I file which shows all of the gumf you can expect to see on the screen & hope this helps someone comming in cold.
I have also attached some photos to help.

Alex

NB I Followed the pic for an EC300 board but I believe the pin connection is the same.
    In my pics the purple wire is the ground & the black is not used.

Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Mar 2023 07:33 by frayja2002.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cold Turkey, cakeslob, FCS Industrial

More
02 Apr 2023 19:31 #268101 by zmrdko
hello,
does anybody have a working hal & ini config for open loop motors? I'm still getting Joint 0 following error. I'm using default configs from Scott's Remora NVEM github.

More
03 Apr 2023 07:06 - 03 Apr 2023 07:08 #268149 by frayja2002
Here is a zip flle of my setup, however I found that when I had that problem the cure was to re-flash the firmware.

If you are using a STM 32 board you need to upload the config file (as per the video on Scotts youtube channel)
I just uploaded the full config as I didn't see any good reason not to.

If you are using an RT-1052 based board you don't need to up load that config file.
This should just work if you drop it into you home/xxx/linuxcnc/configs directory.It was my "play around file" for an auto tool changer so if you try to use it, it will never ask you for the next tool.

Hope this helps
Alex

PS apparently 2.2 Mb is to big a file size so you only get the hal & ini files.
If you need more let me know.

Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Apr 2023 07:08 by frayja2002.

Time to create page: 0.205 seconds