Remora - ethernet NVEM cnc board

More
04 Jul 2023 19:47 #274781 by tuxcnc
Explain to me what is better and more appropriate.
1. One who knows will write a few sentences?
2. A hundred who do not know will read someone else's code and guess what the author could think of?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jul 2023 19:53 #274783 by meister
There are many people here who like the project and have successfully used it.
Each of them is happy that scotta shares its work with them for free.

If you have a problem with it, it's not because of the project, either you didn't read up on it enough or you're too lazy to learn.

If you want professional support, buy heidenhain or something similar.

If you think the documentation is bad, then write a better one, you wanted to use the free work, then also give something back

More
04 Jul 2023 19:58 #274784 by Aaroncnc
Rome was not built in a day.
So tell me what's better.
A person who see others working and buildings things together and helps and puts in good faith effort.
Or
A person who on day one complains it's not done yet and gives nothing in return and asks for someone to do all the work for them.

Hint you are seemingly acting like the second option.

Maybe you can try your best and learn a bit of something new and then contribute.
Take risks. Try new things. Live a interesting life.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PCW, meister

More
04 Jul 2023 21:30 #274790 by frayja2002
Hi all just to let you know I also had the problen That I created the dap link usb and then couldn't get any further.

Got to the point where the usb name was RT1052, dropped the firmware for EC300 on it & it returned the error....

"error: Failed to reset/halt the target MCU
type: target
"

The red ethernet link light is now on permanently.
I have tried holding down the button while powering on & that seems to make no difference.
I was going to give up on this board unless someone has any other suggestions.

Do you normally need to hold down the button in order to program this board.
The EC500 just worked for me but then i started having problems soon as i played with this board.

All suggestions appreciated.

Thanks
Alex

More
04 Jul 2023 21:41 #274791 by cakeslob
Hey tux, the project is still in early stages, so there is not much in the way of example configurations or documents related to the NVEM portion of the project. The NVEM part of the project is not OEM, but an aftermarket firmware. In these early stages the project, it is not for beginners. This fact is reflected by lack of documents. If you wish to use the project in its early stages, you will need to either make an attempt to read/understand the code, wait patiently for beginner documents, or politely ask for help from other users.

Thanks Scott, it seems to work excellent.
Is there anything particular you’d like me to test?

What is the max step rate EC500 with remora fw can do?

Original firmware for mach3 states 460kHz, but if I recall correctly, with remora firmware it’s different. Dependant on some hardcoded value in firmware.

Im asking because I have set 1000 steps per mm (0.001mm step resolution) and at 40mm/s = 40kHz it’s OK, but at 50mm/s I already get following error.

Is the ec500 using the rt1052?
Is stepgen happening in in one base thread or 2 with this version? It looks like the newer ones are 1 base thread interval but Im not sure with theses new ones.

More
04 Jul 2023 21:48 #274792 by zmrdko
Hi. No dropping of firmware to rt1052 drive. Check few posts back, where I suggested flashing using pyOCD.

More
04 Jul 2023 21:53 #274794 by zmrdko
I have no idea. This is probably question for @scotta.

but here is a screenshot from config file from rt1052 firmware github:
PRU_BASEFREQ = 40000
Attachments:

More
04 Jul 2023 22:20 #274797 by scotta

Thanks Scott, it seems to work excellent.
Is there anything particular you’d like me to test?

What is the max step rate EC500 with remora fw can do?

Original firmware for mach3 states 460kHz, but if I recall correctly, with remora firmware it’s different. Dependant on some hardcoded value in firmware.

Im asking because I have set 1000 steps per mm (0.001mm step resolution) and at 40mm/s = 40kHz it’s OK, but at 50mm/s I already get following error.

Super!

The firmware base thread is 40khz so that's why you are getting following errors. The advantage of the latest firmware is the ability to modify the thread frequency! 

Just tested at 80khz, failed at 120 kHz.

In your configuration.txt file add the Thread section:
{
    "Board": "EC500",
    "Threads":[
    {
    "Thread": "Base",
    "Frequency": 80000
    }
    ],
    "Modules":[
    {

And then in your hal file add the PRU_base_freq 
# load the Remora real-time component

loadrt remora-nv PRU_base_freq=80000

Getting higher step rates will need the DMA stepgen work ported over to the RT1052, which with the faster processor hopefully allows the DDS calculations to be completed within the servo period. The reason why work was stopped on the STM32.
The following user(s) said Thank You: zmrdko

More
04 Jul 2023 22:35 #274798 by scotta
I really think I should take down the stuff relating to the DAPlink. It's causing more issues then it solved.

CMSIS-DAP has been the most successful but converting an ST-Link is a pain.

There is a solution, a PicoProbe! Just tested and works out of the box with pyOCD.

pyocd remora-rt1052-1.0.0.bin --target mimxrt1050_quadspi
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, raf1110

More
04 Jul 2023 22:50 #274800 by Murphy
Converting the stlink seems to be fine. It comes up as rt1052 drive. Only when you try and drop flash it, it fails. 

Time to create page: 0.292 seconds