Potential All-in-One Single Board Computers

More
27 Nov 2023 16:59 #286630 by tommylight

Can the last 7-8 posts please go into a new thread about Mesa bus switches or similar. It going a bit off track for a list of SBC's compatible with LCNC.

Done.
Please do check if everything is OK.
Link
forum.linuxcnc.org/18-computer/50792-about-mesa-bus-switches
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bari

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Apr 2024 16:15 #297382 by tommylight
This seems to be the ultimate all in one for LinuxCNC, granted it needs a slimmed down version of Linux and shoehorning the RT kernel somehow.
Still at 12$ with one ARM and one RISC core, optional wifi6, 100Mbps ethernet, USB C, 8051 MCU running at 25 to 300MHz, MIPI connector, VPU, NPU at 0.5 TOPS, CSI, 512MB ram, etc....

More
01 Apr 2024 17:01 #297386 by RDA
Purely hypotethical, how hard/big of a job it would be to break the UI and LCNC to teon separate ”entities”.

So that you would run LCNC headless with a board like that and then plug in ”any” pc/laptop with LAN to it and let the ”any” pc run the UI.

So in very basic and not in any real tech spec, pass example json messages back and forth and then update the GUI, pass commands etc?

The g-code file would reside in the LCNC and the ”any” pc is just for GUI.

More
01 Apr 2024 23:21 - 01 Apr 2024 23:26 #297403 by cornholio
Pretty much the way Machinekit went.

Although not really related to the topic.
Last edit: 01 Apr 2024 23:26 by cornholio.

More
02 Apr 2024 03:07 #297412 by tommylight
LinuxCNC already has remote GUI's and web interface, i never used any of those, and i never aimed for that way of using it.
I am much more interested in using a lite Linux for running LinuxCNC, not the heavy weight desktop versions we use daily, something like Porteus would be perfect as it is quite up to date and is under 400MB total, runs like a dream on a lot of PC's and laptops i own, some are pretty old.
And even all that is just nitpicking as latest Linux still run nicely on 10 year old hardware, USFF are cheap. can be attach to monitor with 4 of M4 screws so a touch screen with it behind and a network cable to control box with Mesa or EtherCAT is very clean and near perfect.

More
02 Apr 2024 03:42 #297414 by blazini36

LinuxCNC already has remote GUI's and web interface, i never used any of those,

What "remote GUI"? The webGUI thing looked half baked, not even sure if it's available anymore. There are command line servers in LinuxCNC but I'm not aware of an actual Remote GUI.....It took Machine Kit alot of work to get that done, I don't think it's ever been ported.

More
02 Apr 2024 11:02 #297428 by tommylight
Yes, the web GUI was pretty rough back when i last checked, but it did work.
More importantly, we are talking about Linux, so pretty much anything can run remotely, even using SSH works for a lot of things, Andy mentioned this often:
-In a terminal ssh -Y to remote PC with LinuxCNC
-linuxcnc
This will open the config picker, and last i tried it it will run Axis GUI without issues, as far as i can recollect, was several years back last i tried.
Issues might arise when local network is not set up properly, so ping the LinuxCNC machine, good ping times never go above 1ms. And yes, i have run a Mesa 7i92 through a switch for over a week without ever dropping the link, from a laptop.
There is also linuxcncrsh, no idea how good or bad it is.

More
02 Apr 2024 11:22 #297430 by cornholio
The only issue with ssh is if you lose the connection Linuxcnc stops running.
A Vnc client / server is slightly better as When the client loses a connection the server keeps going on.
As for MK I’m not even sure it’s being actively developed.
One nice thing was that it could use the PRUs on the beagle bone black for step generation. There was hardware support for quadrature encoders.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
21 Apr 2024 14:13 #298777 by MX_Master
Radxa X2L: Low-cost x86 SBC with RP2040

More
21 Apr 2024 15:03 #298780 by cornholio
RP2040 is only connected to PC via serial port, shame, spi would have been awesome

Time to create page: 0.264 seconds