Ehternet motion card

More
02 Aug 2022 11:22 - 02 Aug 2022 12:40 #248829 by CNC123
Ehternet motion card was created by CNC123
Dobrý deň, potreboval by som pomôcť s pohybovou kartou
chcem mať pohybovú kartu pre Mach3 a linuxcnc ako mi odporúčate??
Chcem to pre 5os
Thanks for evry answer

Last edit: 02 Aug 2022 12:40 by CNC123.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2022 13:12 #248838 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic Ehternet motion card
I'm not sure that there is anything other than a parallel port that works well with both Mach3 and Linuxcnc. They are very different in how they work with external hardware step generation hardware.

More
02 Aug 2022 13:33 - 02 Aug 2022 13:34 #248840 by Todd Zuercher
For example Linuxcnc uses external hardware for step pulse generation and encoder counting. But does all motion control and trajectory planning internally.

Mach3/4 uses the external hardware for the motion control and trajectory planning (except when using a parallel port.)

I think there was some experimentation with using Mesa hardware (and their SoftDMC) for motion control with Mach. But I'm not sure how well it is supported. and using this would be incompatible with Linuxcnc and would require reflashing the hardware's firmware when ever you wanted to switch between the two.
Last edit: 02 Aug 2022 13:34 by Todd Zuercher.

More
02 Aug 2022 14:52 #248845 by CNC123
Replied by CNC123 on topic Ehternet motion card
Thanks much

lets say i would use mach for about a month first and then put it on linux
not both at once
should there be some motion card that support both mach and linux?

More
02 Aug 2022 15:16 #248846 by Todd Zuercher
I've never really used Mach. My first machine retro fit used an oddball hardware interface. Using Mach would have required replacing it. Linuxcnc was cheaper and offered some hope of reusing the old hardware. So we thought we'd give it a try first. We were able to get a custom driver written for the old hardware that worked with Linuxcnc. It worked well, so I never bothered trying Mach. Since then I've converted several parallel port controlled machines, and a few using Mesa. For many simple older stepper driven machines (that don't use fine micro-stepping) The parallel port is more than adequate, and can switch back and forth between Mach and Linuxcnc with no hardware changes. (Not that I've ever done it.)

More
02 Aug 2022 15:18 #248847 by skunkworks
Replied by skunkworks on topic Ehternet motion card
The only thing that I know of that works with mach and linuxcnc is (and it is really really new)

www.youtube.com/channel/UCSsDLXiBMSJVbn3lPDxhe3Q

forum.linuxcnc.org/18-computer/44828-rem...em-cnc-board?start=0

I don't think you can go back to the mach firmware though.. IIRC

More
02 Aug 2022 15:59 #248849 by Todd Zuercher
For an example of what you can do with a parallel port in Linuxcnc. We have an old Digital Tool router, it has 4 stepper driven axis (XYZW). The machine was converted to a gang router with 3 4hp spindles on each head (W and Z). Each spindle is driven by a VFD with analog speed controlled from Linuxcnc. The PC has a built in parallel port and one duel parallel port PCI expansion card. One of the parallel port card's ports is connected to the original Anaheim Automation black box (in X-Mode) via a straight through pin to pin breakout board (no buffering or isolation). The black box originally required two parallel ports to operate, but the straight through bob let me condense it all to a single port for all step/dir signals and separate high and low limit switches for all 4 axis. Then another cheapo Mach3 5-axis bob is used for it's analog signal (sent to all 6 drives) and a C-10 bob does the rest of the i/o on the machine. All of the spindles must run at the same speed, but they can be individually turned on/off and the speed set from Linuxcnc.

More
02 Aug 2022 16:06 #248850 by Todd Zuercher
There had been some people experimenting with Mesa hardware in Mach, I also think there has been some people working with Ethercat in Mach. But I don't know any details of the support or abilities of either.

More
02 Aug 2022 20:24 #248863 by CNC123
Replied by CNC123 on topic Ehternet motion card
Thanks

How motion card using only for linuxcnc?

More
02 Aug 2022 21:02 #248867 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Ehternet motion card
Mach3 & LinuxCNC = Parallel port
Jinom LinuxCNC = Mesa
Mesa karty sou velmy levne, asi 90 Euro pro 7i92 ktery ma 2 parallel porta, ale moc, moc rychlej, jeste jsou vsehny pini lehko programovany.
Podivej se do www.eusurplus.com je to v Portugal takze se vyplaty od jih koupit.

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds