Parallel port problems on new build; pins 14 and 16 not working for spindle

More
06 Jul 2019 01:58 #138715 by trebuchetguy
I put a 1k ohm pull up resistor on both pins 14 and 16; no luck. Any other suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2019 02:15 #138717 by tommylight
Can you please use a DVM and check the voltage on those outputs without the PMDX connected ? There is a nice config for testing the parallel port with Linuxcnc, just change the address of the parallel port.
Also using a bench power supply to test the inputs of the PMDX would be informative as everything is pointing to that. A Li-Ion battery will do nicely or 3 NiMh ones in series, but reversing the polarity or any issue with the inputs might end up badly.

More
06 Jul 2019 07:46 #138722 by pl7i92
pin14 is reserved to internal ENABLE of the 74hc that controls the stepdir 5axis

did you check if the JUMPER is set to use pin16/17 to as a output
if you have taken a Realy <1200ohm to the pin 14 you may have killed the board

does step dir work propper

More
06 Jul 2019 16:48 #138748 by trebuchetguy
@tommylight -- re: volt meter, I already did that; It dosn't show any activity on pins 14 and 16 when linuxcnc says that it is sending a signal. I'm pretty confident that the PMDX is working fine -- this setup worked great until I rebuilt the PC and switched to a new parallel port card. The only difference in the setup is the computer. I could still bench test it if you thought it would be useful.

@pl7i92 -- Step dir is working great; I have full x/y/z movement in the correct direction on the mill. I haven't used any relays at all on any of the outputs of the PMDX or parallel port. I'm using the PMDX-107 child board for spindle control, which is expecting the pin 14/16 signal.

Many thanks to all who have replied so far.

More
07 Jul 2019 13:27 #138799 by Todd Zuercher
Have you tried setting the port to "in" or "X" modes and checked to see if those pins do anything?

I have a PCIe duel parallel port card that doesn't set all the internal pull-ups right in Linux (but it does in Windows) however with the right breakout board it still works ok.

More
07 Jul 2019 15:10 #138801 by pl7i92
the PMDX-107 is expecting a PWM signal
how did you wire your spindle system to the BOB

can you give us more infos

DIRECT does not work at all you need at least one Realy

the Spindle gots its own GND to use for FOR it way also got a ENA
and it got a Speed

can you show us a image or diagramm like i did here
The following user(s) said Thank You: Todd Zuercher

More
07 Jul 2019 21:09 #138821 by Todd Zuercher
Sorry, I was not clear, the router I am using the uncooperative PCIe board with uses neither a VFD or any PMDX boards. I have no experience with the PMDX stuff. I was just saying that it could be possible that the addition or removal of pull-up or pull-down resistors on the parallel port side of the breakout board may be helpful. But there is no guarantee that it may ever work.

Another test you could try. Load the parallel port tester in Linuxcnc for the port address in question. Jumper one of the problem output pins directly to an input pin. Does the input change when changing the output?
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
07 Jul 2019 21:45 #138824 by tommylight

Another test you could try. Load the parallel port tester in Linuxcnc for the port address in question. Jumper one of the problem output pins directly to an input pin. Does the input change when changing the output?

Do try this please and report back.

More
07 Jul 2019 22:32 #138826 by trebuchetguy
Good news: Problem fixed!

I tried another card: www.microcenter.com/product/419690/1-por...card-with-dos-driver. This one finally worked!

Thanks for all the help!

More
08 Jul 2019 07:56 #138845 by pl7i92
can you finaly check if the CADR is broken so we get a full feedback as you worked hard to fix it then changed the card

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds