MESA 5i25 with non-standard config and modified firmware

More
16 Oct 2019 21:39 #148049 by vedatech
Thanks, that's good news. I changed the stepgens to lower numbers that correspond to my actual wiring and got rid of all the mapping errors. Now I have a new error which I don't know how to debug. I'm attaching the shell output and log files which don't tell me much. Is there a recommended method to debug - at least to determine if this is a .hal problem.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Oct 2019 21:40 - 16 Oct 2019 21:41 #148050 by vedatech
Sorry, Forgot the files.
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Oct 2019 21:41 by vedatech.

More
16 Oct 2019 22:52 #148058 by tommylight
It seems like one of the joint numbers is out of range.
Do check the files again making sure that the joint numbers for each joint are the same in all entries for that joint.

More
17 Oct 2019 19:00 #148143 by vedatech
I was able to get past the startup errors and bring up the axis gui.
Looking at the offending line 3543 in bin/axis shows that axis expects the number of AXIS letters in the coordinates string to equal the number of joints. In this case joints=9 because of the W axis. So I changed the coordinates from XBCW to XYZABCUVW and axis starts up without complaint.

Now I have a bunch of dummy axes (YZAUV) on the display. I don't know if this can be addressed in the .hal file or if I need to work on axis now. Any suggestions?

More
17 Oct 2019 21:01 #148150 by Todd Zuercher
It can be addressed and it is done in the INI file. (I have 3 machines configured with XYZW.)
I'm attaching one example.

File Attachment:

File Name: Dig5.ini
File Size:2 KB
Attachments:

More
17 Oct 2019 21:58 #148154 by vedatech
I followed you file as much as I could by adding empty [AXIS_n] sections for the unused axes and set
[TRAJ]
AXES=9
COORDINATES=X B C W

This does get rid of the unused axes in the axis gui but the kinematics seem screwed up. I can only jog the X axis. When all 9 axes are displayed I can jog all four axes although the C axis doesn't change in the animation.

More
18 Oct 2019 03:05 #148158 by Todd Zuercher
Which version of Linuxcnc are you using?

What joints are you assigning to which axis letters?

Could you post a copy of your ini file.

More
18 Oct 2019 13:25 - 18 Oct 2019 13:25 #148200 by vedatech
Here are my latest edits of the HAL and INI files. They work in that I can move all four axes. Its just that all nine axes show up as radio buttons in the AXIS display.
See my initial post for the version info.
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Oct 2019 13:25 by vedatech.

More
18 Oct 2019 13:35 - 18 Oct 2019 13:54 #148201 by Todd Zuercher
I didn't see your Linuxcnc version in your earlier posts. (oops didn't check the 1st page of the thread)
But now that I look at your INI file I can see that you are using either 2.8 or Master.

My config example was for 2.7 or earlier.

I am pretty sure you don't have to use the dummy axis and joint numbers any more in versions 2.8 and above. So just assign the exact number of joints you need and give them the axis letters that you want and I am pretty sure you should find that it works. However since you are not using standard XYZ... you may find that your jogging keys when in joint mode might not be quite what you expect.
Last edit: 18 Oct 2019 13:54 by Todd Zuercher.

More
18 Oct 2019 13:50 #148202 by Todd Zuercher
Here is an example INI file for an XYZW machine in 2.9-pre.

File Attachment:

File Name: Dig1.ini
File Size:3 KB
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds