An open source Emco 120P lathe tool turret control

More
22 Apr 2016 18:07 #73724 by LutzTD
Hi,

I am getting components this week and the solder station next week, What size 24vdc power supply should I get for the emcoturn 120? I think the 24V will only be used for the turret, is it used elsewhere too? I havent layed out the entire control so I wasnt sure.

thanx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2016 18:43 - 22 Apr 2016 18:46 #73725 by tome

Hi,

I am getting components this week and the solder station next week, What size 24vdc power supply should I get for the emcoturn 120? I think the 24V will only be used for the turret, is it used elsewhere too? I havent layed out the entire control so I wasnt sure.

thanx

Well, it is up to you, there is more than one way to skin a cat, as they say. I used 24VDC wherever I could and I used 5VDC for some things that required it (like my spindle encoder for example).

Most of my I/O is 24V such as the tailstock limit switches, pneumatic pressure switches, the hall sensors on X and Z axes, estop switch, motor over temp, and Vexta drive over temp, collet closer, charge pump, oiler pump, as well as the turret motor/encoder.

I have one of each of these in the machine:
www.trcelectronics.com/View/Mean-Well/MDR-100-24.shtml
www.trcelectronics.com/View/Mean-Well/MDR-20-5.shtml

But, as I said, you can use whatever voltage you want on many of those.
-Tom
Last edit: 22 Apr 2016 18:46 by tome.

More
23 Apr 2016 03:06 #73736 by LutzTD
thanx, those are cheaper and smaller than I was looking at, I was still searching out the required voltages and had found mostly 24vdc, but did not know the amp draw on the toolchanger motor. I will use a smoothstepper and a cnc4u adapter board which are 5vdc along with the sensors you mentioned. The vextas use 120vac I think so thats easier than I was anticipating too. I did get my soldering station today but Im waiting on a antistatic benchtop pad and wrist strap, not sure how much of the parts are sensitive but if I zap something I will never find it on my own.

More
23 Apr 2016 04:53 #73737 by tome
Does the smoothstepper work with Linuxcnc? Always thought that was a board built for Mach. Anyway we used Mesa 6i25 and the 7i84 and 7i85s daughter cards for step/dir and I/O. I am a fan of the Mesa hardware.
-Tom

More
23 Apr 2016 10:22 #73739 by LutzTD
yeah, Im on the fence for linuxcnc and mach, thats partially why I havent bought any specific hardware yet. I am researching the linuxcnc and see that it is powerful but I also do not have a programming background, it seems that every installation is very custom and this worries me a lot at this point. Im an ME and a toolmaker, so I am worried the learning curve may be too steep. the toolerator 3000 wont care as far as I can see, its just the interface commends that have to be worked out if I go the mach route

More
23 Apr 2016 13:39 - 23 Apr 2016 13:40 #73754 by tome

yeah, Im on the fence for linuxcnc and mach, thats partially why I havent bought any specific hardware yet. I am researching the linuxcnc and see that it is powerful but I also do not have a programming background, it seems that every installation is very custom and this worries me a lot at this point. Im an ME and a toolmaker, so I am worried the learning curve may be too steep. the toolerator 3000 wont care as far as I can see, its just the interface commends that have to be worked out if I go the mach route

Given your engineering background and obvious willingness to tackle new things (you're building the Toolerator after all), I'd say a lack of programming background isn't much of a roadblock. Yes, there is a learning curve configuring and using Linuxcnc but there isn't any coding to do really. There are very helpful people in the forum and on the mailing list willing to help you through it. I've now built three unique machines with Linuxcnc using various types of hardware. I viewed each as a challenge and learning experience which tends to mitigate feeling frustrated when things aren't working as you'd expect. I've gotten tons of help in the forum and mailing list and asked a lot of questions, some fairly stupid ;-) Also, Mach will not likely be issue free, you'll have challenges there as well. I've seen quite a few machines that have been converted FROM Mach TO Linuxcnc for various reasons (one recent commercial example is Tormach), but I've yet to meet anyone who wanted to convert Linuxcnc to Mach... Good luck and have fun whatever you end up doing!
-Tom
Last edit: 23 Apr 2016 13:40 by tome.

More
23 Apr 2016 19:32 #73770 by LutzTD
I ask a lot of questions, its the engineer in me. If I start another thread for the build where should I put, Ill keep up with the toolerator 3000 stuff here, but I can ask all the questions specific for putting together a system for the emcoturn 120 in the other thread. I appreciate all the help so far, I just dont want to be too needy.

More
23 Apr 2016 20:13 - 23 Apr 2016 20:14 #73772 by tome

I ask a lot of questions, its the engineer in me. If I start another thread for the build where should I put, Ill keep up with the toolerator 3000 stuff here, but I can ask all the questions specific for putting together a system for the emcoturn 120 in the other thread. I appreciate all the help so far, I just dont want to be too needy.

There are specific forum headings for the appropriate subject, ie, General Linuxcnc Questions, or Basic or Advanced Configuration. For posting a build thread, which are always interesting, you could use Hardware & Machines -> CNC Machines, or alternatively Hardware & Machines -> Turning. Build threads often are more of an update and "here's what I am doing" kind of place as opposed to posting questions and hoping for answers there (though that can work). And certainly getting general help on how to begin and where to go from there could be started in your build thread. When you have a specific question on some aspect of Linuxcnc you will want to post the question in another area (ie, HAL Components when your question is related to HAL) rather than hoping someone is monitoring your build thread.

-Tom
Last edit: 23 Apr 2016 20:14 by tome.

More
23 Apr 2016 20:25 #73774 by tome
I received the circuit board today. It looks good. I wasn't going to populate it unless I needed it, but I just may need to for fun. Many thanks!
-Tom

More
23 Apr 2016 21:38 #73775 by LutzTD
no problem, Im glad it made it ok. :)

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.338 seconds