Mesa 5i20 - 7I52S support

More
03 Dec 2011 21:16 - 06 Dec 2011 14:58 #15336 by boyzo
Hi,

I installed 5i20 card. Did not connect any component to any pin. Start m520 sample config, all comes up fine. Then I start Hal config and check I/O pins. All input pins shows ON. I did not believe and I check with instrument. There is +5V on all I/O pins in my 5i20 cart on all 3 ports.

Does anybody get such experiance?
Last edit: 06 Dec 2011 14:58 by boyzo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Dec 2011 21:22 #15337 by cmorley
you might show what you used for a HAL config.

More
04 Dec 2011 00:34 #15345 by andypugh
boyzo wrote:

I installed 5i20 card. Did not connect any component to any pin. Start m520 sample config, all comes up fine. Then I start Hal config and check I/O pins. All input pins shows ON.

I think that is normal for unconnected pins, they float up. This is actually useful, as you only need a switch to pull them down to 0V to use them.

More
04 Dec 2011 02:08 #15350 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Re:Mesa 5i20 - All pins at +5V
Yes, this is the default for all of our FPGA cards (Before configuration all I/O pins float and they have either FPGA chip provided or external pullups) in addition the hostMot2 configuration defaults to all inputs before output are specifically enabled. This means that All IO will be high from power up until
driver/host software specifically drives them low. This also means that enables are active low on all of our daughter cards

This is done for a couple of reasons:

1. 50 pin FPGA cards can drive I/O module racks. IO module racks have active low polarity so to guarantee that all outputs are off at startup, the I/0 pins must be high

2. For FPGA cards without pullup resistors, Xilinx FPGA have an option to provide weak pullups
before the FPGA is configured, there is no option for pulldowns

Practically what this means is that you will need to use the input and output invert options if you expect to see active high inputs and outputs in HAL

More
04 Dec 2011 12:25 - 04 Dec 2011 13:23 #15359 by boyzo
Thank you all for quick response.

Please help me configure correct dauther card for the following setup:

Mesa 5I20
P2 <-> 7I42 <-> Servo Dirves + Encoders PWM siganls to 4 axis, encoder input
P3 <-> 7I37 <-> to Inpiut device (i.e. home sw. or inductive switch) and Output Device (i.e. Hydraulic ON) and other General I/O (home, limit, mist)
P4 <-> 7I33 <-> Analog spindle and/or analog servo.

Thanks
Last edit: 04 Dec 2011 13:23 by boyzo.

More
04 Dec 2011 13:21 - 04 Dec 2011 13:25 #15360 by boyzo
Or better:

P2 <-> 7I42 <-> 7I37 <-> PWM + encoder sygnals
Last edit: 04 Dec 2011 13:25 by boyzo.

More
04 Dec 2011 15:48 - 04 Dec 2011 17:01 #15366 by PCW
The best daughterboard selection also depends on whether you have differential output encoders
and whether 3.3V outputs are sufficient.

The 7I42TA does not buffer the FPGA signals it just feeds them through a per pin protection network
this means that its not suitable for differential output encoders and that the output signals will be 3.3V levels.(you can get 5V drive from a 7I42 in one case: driving Optoisolators with Anode returned to 5V and using open drain mode)

If you have differential output encoders or if you need 5V drive for your step/dir or PWM signals
a daughtercard like a 7I52S is a better choice
Last edit: 04 Dec 2011 17:01 by PCW. Reason: sp

More
06 Dec 2011 15:09 #15426 by boyzo
PCW wrote:

If you have differential output encoders or if you need 5V drive for your step/dir or PWM signals
a daughtercard like a 7I52S is a better choice

I review my HW and decided to go on with 7I52S. As thie card multiplex encoder sygnals, my wonder is how this is processed by Hostmot2 as we dont configure 7I52 dauther card in driver, and how to configure HAL. I currently use PNCCONF, is the configuration valid for 7I52 card?

Thanks for help

More
06 Dec 2011 15:41 #15428 by PCW
You will likely need a custom BIT file for this as a 7I52S configuration with Muxed encoders and PWM outputs is not standard. Are the outputs PWM/DIR or locked anti-phase? (where 50% PWM drive = 0 output) If locked anti-phase you will need to insert an offset component (COMP) in the HAL file between the PID output and the PWM value pin

A custom bit file is not big deal (only a few minutes work to copy/paste up a new pinout and recompile)

As far as the configuration goes, you just specify how many encoders and how many PWM gens are
needed in the config line of the HAL file

The custom bitfile and locked antiphase (if needed) mean that you would need to hand edit the HAL file

More
07 Dec 2011 06:40 - 07 Dec 2011 06:41 #15435 by boyzo
Hi

PCW wrote:

You will likely need a custom BIT file for this as a 7I52S configuration with Muxed encoders and PWM outputs is not standard. Are the outputs PWM/DIR or locked anti-phase? (where 50% PWM drive = 0 output) If locked anti-phase you will need to insert an offset component (COMP) in the HAL file between the PID output and the PWM value pin

The custom bitfile and locked antiphase (if needed) mean that you would need to hand edit the HAL file

I will use locked anti-phase PWM (where 50% PWM drive = 0 output Drive is Granite devices VSD/E)

I already have 5I20 card and my 7I52S will come next week so I have some time to prepare. I do not see big deal on hand edit HAL configuration. I just need to configure all the onter stuff as complete as possible as I will not be able to run pncconf again.

I build EMC2 from distribution files. Is there any instruction about BIT file and how/what to change there? Also some part of HAL sample for my case would help.

And I am confused about PWM. As I understand, I need to code BIAS as half of OUTPUT_SCALE parameter. But how to calculate OUTPUT_SCALE? This is my calcul?ation:

Motor= Max 3000 rpm/min - configured max = 2800
pitch = 5mm
enkoder = 2500 puls/rev
INPUT_SCALE=2000
MAX_VELOCITY = 2800/60*5 = 233 mm/sec
OUTPUT_SCALE = 5*2800/60 = 234
BIAS = 117

This is how I calculate. Correct or I missed the point

Thanks
Bojan
Last edit: 07 Dec 2011 06:41 by boyzo.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds