Retrofitting WEEKE BP05

More
02 Apr 2015 00:45 - 02 May 2015 00:34 #57400 by urkee
Hi there, i have recently bought retrofitted woodworking router WEEKE BP 05 year 1991, running on mach3, and i want to convert it to LinuxCNC.
It has one analog electrospindle 2.5KW, driling agregate 1.5KW with 11 drils, and saw agregate 1.0KW. Electrospindle, saw and each drill is pushed with pneumatic cylinder to workpiece.
servodrivers analog +-10V INDRAMAT
permanent magnet ac servomotors, INDRAMAT with tachofeedback
incremental encoders with quadrature output 10...30 Volt push-pull short-circuit proof
Can this configuration successfully be retrofitted to LinuxCNC?
If above can be done, I would like to install new hardware, what components would be most compatibile? MESA, PICO or others
Can anyone help with chosing components, afterwards i can fully step on, only on those.

I have full manuals for servomodul, encoders, VFD and maschine leaflet in attachment.
greetings from Belgrade, urkee
Attachments:
Last edit: 02 May 2015 00:34 by urkee. Reason: replacing name with username

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2015 08:58 - 02 Apr 2015 08:58 #57415 by jmelson
Replied by jmelson on topic Retrofitting WEEKE BP05
Yes, assuming you plan to keep the Indramat drives, it should be quite easy. The Pico Systems PPMC is our analog servo interface. You connect the PPMC DAC output to the analog input of the drives. You connect the encoders to the PPMC encoder input. A solid state relay is set up on the PPMC DIO board to enable the drives and other connections can sense if a drive goes into fault status.
The only special attention would be to interface the encoders to the PPMC encoder board. I think you can probably run the encoder off 12 V, and probably would need pull-up resistors on the encoder signal wires. The basic board set of the complete PPMC package is $780. It probably has enough digital I/O to control all the spindle/drill/saw options, but an additional SIO board can be added if required.

Jon
Last edit: 02 Apr 2015 08:58 by jmelson.
The following user(s) said Thank You: urkee

More
02 Apr 2015 15:10 #57423 by db1981
Replied by db1981 on topic Retrofitting WEEKE BP05
Are you sure the encoders are 10..30 Volt?
On our BP10 and BP15 are 5V differential encoders mounted. (Num750)

We retrofitted with Ethercat.

db

More
02 Apr 2015 22:19 #57436 by Todd Zuercher
I think I would try a Mesa combination, a 5i25+7i77+??? (if you need more IO than just the 7i77 has).

The one Num control I've worked with also uses 5v encoder signals. You might even be able to reuse all the old Num IO panels (if they are still there).

I came very close to retrofitting our machine, but I was able to revive the old Num 1040. :unsure:
I still may do it someday. The Num user interface is a little slow, the memory is small, and running every thing through DNC is a bit annoying. The biggest question mark for converting our machine would have been a remote io pannel mounted on the head that uses an optical line to communicate with the control. It would be a 40ft cable run to replace it with something else. (might be able to use one of Mesa's Smart Serial boards.)

More
03 Apr 2015 01:52 #57450 by urkee
Replied by urkee on topic Retrofitting WEEKE BP05
Yes Jon, i want keep the drives they, are working great. I haven't got maschines original manual, but i have downloaded for drives, servos, VFD and encoder(waiting for original from 1991) tried to uploaded on first post, but forum acepted 2 of 7 i have attached. I will trie to attach rest now. I am in this for few months so maby asking to much. I've looked PPMC, seems simple, do i need motion contoler with this? Additional SIO board i can't find it, is it DIO board? Can i connect jog pendant to PPMC?

Hi db thank you for joining, i have reached x axis encoder and took a photo (incremental encoder BALLUF BDG 6360-3-05-2000-65-0.5M) BDG 6360 series is still in production and i downloaded data, but i am not shure how much it is changed from then. I have sent them mail request for original product manual , and waiting.
present BDG 6360 data folowing:

operating voltage 5 Volt ± 5%,
10...30 Volt
Scan frequency 300 kHz with square wave 5 Volt
300 kHz with square wave 10...30 Volt
Output level 5 Volt Line-Driver
10...30 Volt push-pull short-circuit proof
Is it 5v or 10-30 output?

I have looked trough ethercat, it is huge organisation is it problem for you to provide me specification of components you have installed? Our Weeke BP5 also had NUM750 i haven't got it with maschine. BP models, should have same components.

Todd I wasnt shure is it posible to covert to linux because i read that servos with tachoefeedback is hard to interface with linuxcnc. I don't know how he converted it to mach3, but it is not working OK, servos are making strange sound (squeaking in idling) and we have problems with deviations when cuting circles and changing feedrates. No pid loop closed.

Thank you all guys!

More
03 Apr 2015 03:52 #57452 by Todd Zuercher
There must be some kind of motion controller added between Mach3 and the servos. That is where the PID will be located, and poor tuning (or capability) there is probably the source of your squeal.

If there are tachs used by the drives, really has little to do with Linuxcnc. They are really only used for feedback to the velocity loop between the drives and the motors. Linuxcnc only needs the encoder feedback for closing the position loop.

I think the perceived problem is from conversions of some older machines with low resolution position feed back (usually from linear scales) that are barely adequate, or trying to output a fake a tack feedback where one is needed.

More
03 Apr 2015 04:59 #57456 by urkee
I have smoothsteper as motion controler in mach3 retrofitt, I have added it it was much worse before it (maschine came with LPT port control).
feedback is rotational encoder rack and pinion 2000 pulses/rev.- X axis. Y and Z are mounted on servos.
I want to convert to linux cnc because of fully closed loop to achieve more precision without loosing steps in high feedrates, like i NUM 750. I guess it is possible in linux cnc, and not in mach3?

More
03 Apr 2015 06:17 #57460 by Todd Zuercher
Do you know the rev/inch (or mm or whatever your using)? That will tell us more if the resolution is adequate. 2000 pulses/rev is a pretty common number for a servo motor.

More
03 Apr 2015 08:04 - 03 Apr 2015 08:06 #57467 by jmelson
Replied by jmelson on topic Retrofitting WEEKE BP05

I've looked PPMC, seems simple, do i need motion contoler with this? Additional SIO board i can't find it, is it DIO board? Can i connect jog pendant to PPMC?

OOps, sorry, there is no "SIO" that is a typo, I meant DIO. You can add additional units of any board if you need more of that function.

The PC plus the PPMC board set is the motion contoller, so you will not need the smoothstepper. Since all the PID tuning, etc. can be done right in LinuxCNC, it makes it simple to set up and monitor performance at any time.

Yes, you can connect a pendant, see pico-systems.com/pendant.html for some pictures, the HAL files, and the wiring. I used some diodes to multiplex the axis selector switch, it allows you to do up to 7 functions with only 3 digital inputs.

Jon
Last edit: 03 Apr 2015 08:06 by jmelson.

More
04 Apr 2015 03:25 #57495 by urkee
X axis encoder is rotational (rack and pinion). Pitch on rack is 3mm, and there is 17 teeths on pinion = 51mm for rev. Rev/ per inch= 0.498

Db are servos on yours weeke bp10/15 squeaking in idling?

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds