PiDiCNC Control System

More
10 Apr 2017 23:31 #91153 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic PiDiCNC Control System
Finaly got to test this with Debian Wheezy iso, booted from USB stick on the same computer, same config, same everything, Linuxcnc version 2.7 and it runs nicely, no slow downs no locking the computer, no strange memmory usage, nothing, it just runs fine!!! Strange as it should have the same look ahead as 2.8.
Definitely something to inspect further.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Apr 2017 07:10 #91170 by viktan
Replied by viktan on topic PiDiCNC Control System
What about hardware for test? Are you still interest?

More
11 Apr 2017 08:51 #91171 by tommylight
Always. Leme mail you the address.

More
07 Jun 2017 15:07 #94234 by MarcoGaspar
Replied by MarcoGaspar on topic PiDiCNC Control System
Hello,

Any news about pidicnc boards?

More
07 Jun 2017 22:53 #94271 by tommylight
Doing some tests, it looks good so far. Will be posting detailed info in a while, as soon as i can arrange things. Sorry for the delay.

More
09 Nov 2017 17:10 #101572 by MarcoGaspar
Replied by MarcoGaspar on topic PiDiCNC Control System
Any news about pidicnc boards??

Seems not a good choice.....

More
10 Nov 2017 02:32 #101584 by tommylight
After some extensive tests, they do work nicely, and they are reliable for sure (the boards).
I still have no idea how much they cost.

Pros:
Nice and easy to setup and use, nice form factor, no need for separate power supply for the RPI3, separate connectors for easy wiring, stepper controller has built in 4 places for motor drives so you get a very compact complete controller, can output clean pulses at over 900 kHz as verified by the scope, servo controller has 1 analog input with adjustable sensitivity (up to 200V i think ).

Cons:
RPI3 is to slow, but very usable for use as a cnc controller, meaning when used as a cnc controller it is absolutely usable, but for preparing things for machining ( CAM ) should be done on another computer. Also an update of the rasbpian distro and switching to software rendering improved the usability of Machinekit by a very large margin, from meeehhh usable to absolutely usable.

All in all, very nice and very usable for what they are, a small size easy to setup and use controller for small cnc machines. I really like the stepper one, mount an RPI, add 4 drives, connect 2 power wires, connect motor wires as needed, USE the machine. It is by far the easiest CNC controller to wire.
There are add on cards with more IO, can be used together for more axis, etc etc.

Regards, need sleep it is 3:32AM here.

More
12 Nov 2017 19:01 #101701 by viktan
Hi,
Thanks for your short review of pidicnc boards.
I want to ask about rapbian update whats improved a rendering. What exactly it is? Did you get better performace with big gcode file than few fps? Because this was the most limiting thing on this product, some customers decide to not use it due to bad GUI response on heavy load.

Regards, Viktor

More
12 Nov 2017 23:10 #101708 by tommylight
Again, i love the form factor and the simplicity of the PIDICNC, for all intents and purposes it is perfect. On the other hand there is the fact that it uses RPI3, thta in itself is OK, but for something that is used by milions of people every day, RPI3 proved to be quite messy. The good thing is it uses Linux so most things apply to it also. Machinekit is derived from Linuxcnc, and while it takes half an hour to setup and install and have a machine working with Linuxcnc, it is a different story with machinekit. There is a ready made image of machinekit that works but outdated, so having to install from scratch on an SD card takes a lot of time. In the end after a week of tinkering, just did a dist update and switched to software rendering, as everything else went from mildly discomforting to monumentaly failing, that did the trick nicely, and RPI3 went from barely usable to quite enjoyable to work with.
As for responce time, it has improved by a large margin and it is very usable with over 4MB gcode files.

More
14 Nov 2017 07:08 #101762 by viktan
Can you make some short video of screen rendering with big gcode? I wonder how it looks.

I agree, it isn't easy to install machinekit setup, but at the time when we made a decision to use RasPi as main computer we hoped that linuxcnc community will start support RasPi boards soon, like many much more bigger and commercial companies.

Pidicnc boards are not boards only for Linuxcnc. These boards are intended for universal use, everything what runs on arm platform and you can control SPI from it is suitable to works with pidicnc boards.

I have found some other intresting uses e.g. for academic use, Matlab have official support for RasPi and there is a possibility to run models directly on RasPi at real time and control the boards. I made some simple tests with motors and it looks that it works nice.
Other interesting thing, Codesys have also support for RasPi, I made a beta driver for test. It works nice, it have a web HMI.
Short video:

I hope the linuxcnc community will start support arm SBC soon. This computers have an SPI interface for what is much more easier build some hobby controller boards than for peripheries what is available on common x86 motherboards.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds