Mesa 7i96 system planning-How Supported is Supported?

More
31 Oct 2018 10:34 #119692 by Xnke
According to the data sheets I can find, it is supposed to be an incremental 8192ppr encoder with A/B/C out, and runs from a 5v supply.

It may have a junk encoder on it too in which case I'll have to replace it anyway.

If I have to replace it, I'll just replace it with something barely smart enough to do the job, I have only done a few encoder swaps and the brainier the encoder the harder the alignment.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Oct 2018 10:46 #119693 by andypugh
Does it have commutation output in addition to ABZ?

I think some of these encoders output a brief burst of serial on the ABZ for absolute position and commutation purposes.

For a spindle, if you don't mind a bit of a wiggle at power-up, the 8i20 and the bldc component should work. Though software commutation does put a bit of a limit on top speed.

More
31 Oct 2018 11:08 #119697 by tommylight
I do have 3 of those Yaskawa motors with 8192 ppr encoders on them, they are proprietary type so no normal drive will work with them. They also have commutation signals on the encoders.
I did try to remove them but it is not easy, short of braking them.
It looks like i will have to use the original drives to do the translation, they do output 2000 ppr with index.

More
31 Oct 2018 11:19 #119699 by andypugh
The STMBL drive has a module for the Yaskawa encoders.

I suppose that you could run that on an STM32 dev board (or even Arduino) board to translate to commutation and quadrature.

github.com/rene-dev/stmbl/blob/master/src/comps/yaskawa.c
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
31 Oct 2018 11:50 #119703 by tommylight
Mine do not seem to be serial. They output signals of variable width on all three outputs, out of phase to each other.
Did not investigate any further.

More
31 Oct 2018 17:42 #119718 by Xnke
More than likely, the encoder will have three phases with commutation data signaled by a different pulse width, and position data signaled by the leading edge of the pulse.

More
31 Oct 2018 20:48 #119726 by tommylight
Not on mine, they have separate commutation outputs. All the outputs are differential, two separate power supply wires for encoder and commutation.

More
01 Nov 2018 02:16 #119744 by Xnke
What Encoder do you have on yours? Do you have the servo/encoder part numbers?

Mine are USAGED-09ML21 for the motor and UTOPH-81AVF for the encoder.

More
05 Nov 2018 09:28 #119978 by tommylight
USAGED-09A22T with UTOPH-81AVF

More
05 Apr 2019 13:48 #130339 by jools
Sorry to hi jack an old thread but I'm thinking of upgrading to the 7i96 and just wondered how you find it and if it has support from pncconf yet (or if this is planned). I couldn't find it on the pncconf drop down so can you adapt other mesa cards setting to make it work?

Jools

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.246 seconds