Retrofit of Precix 5x10 CNC

More
18 Jun 2019 16:25 - 18 Jun 2019 17:20 #137203 by randypetersen
As always thanks for everyone's input!

I updated my wiring diagram per PCW's recommendation for the drive interface. I also took a guess on the encoder interface with the details I got from Magtronic. Hopefully someone can tell me if it make sense or not.

I took off the CAP of the encoder and would have to start to take it apart further to find details PCW mentioned.

I am thinking with the manual I found and the drawing Magtronic sent I can be fairly confident in the wiring, what do you think?

Anyone want to see more pictures (why I don't know) can see them here:
photos.app.goo.gl/wBgjA9fuxgXsEZX96
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Jun 2019 17:20 by randypetersen. Reason: added photo album

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2019 00:47 - 21 Jun 2019 01:07 #137437 by randypetersen
Well I am screwed...

I went ahead and stopped supplying the 5V from the 7i92 by changing jumpers W3 and W4 to the down position. Like they were by default. On the 7i77 I put W5 to the right hand position. I went through it several times to make sure I did it right. Everything was working before when the 7i92 supplied the 5v. Turned it on to make sure I was getting a PING and I got smoke coming from 7i77. Disconnected the 7i92 and powered it by itself and it appears to be working fine, still responded to a ping, however. I checked pins 22/23/24/25 and it was still supplying 5V to those pins.

I kept thinking I did it wrong, but ethernet port on the left W3 and W4 down and still it supplies 5v, what in the heck did I do wrong and what did I fry, I can't afford another one of these 7i92 7i77 units. Can I switch the 7i77 back to W5 right and let the 7i92 supply power?

This really bummed me out, I really wanted to take things slow because I can't afford a mistake and this happens.
Checking the 7i92 not connected to anything, maybe I had the pin wrong? does it supply 5v on other pins even with w3 & w4 down?
I should have left it alone, but when PCW said:

supplying 7I77 5V from FPGA card is not recommended with a 5I25/7I77 due to drop in the connecting cable, but with a directly connected 7I92M Its probably OK.

I didn't like the "Probably OK" bit...

Thanks for any help,
Randy
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Jun 2019 01:07 by randypetersen. Reason: inserted image - add blurb about being bummed... cause I am...

More
21 Jun 2019 02:58 - 21 Jun 2019 03:03 #137441 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Retrofit of Precix 5x10 CNC
No, If W4 is down, DB25 pins 22,23,24,25 are grounded on the 7I92 card.

If you made a jumper mistake and used a non-current limited 5V power supply,
you could have caused an open somewhere in the cable power circuitry
( it may also be the you are not looking at the correct pins, all I/O pins will read 5V
if the 7I92 is not communicating with LinuxCNC )

As a general rule when first setting up things you should use a current limited power supply
so a wrong connection cannot cause damage. Never use a PC power supply for this as
they can often supply 30A to 50A which can destroy PCBs if a mistake is made.

A very easy current limited 5V supply can be made from a USB cable with the small end
cut of and just the red ( +5 ) and black ( GND ) wires used.

What smoked on the 7I77? if it was something other than W5, it may be another issue.
(I would expect W5 to overheat if the jumpers were wrong and high current 5V was applied to the 7I77)
Last edit: 21 Jun 2019 03:03 by PCW. Reason: format / clarify

More
21 Jun 2019 03:32 - 21 Jun 2019 03:34 #137444 by randypetersen
Dang!!

Well I was using a PC power supply, so that must have done it.I mentioned that in a post, and was hoping someone would catch me making a (apparently) stupid mistake like that. It always read about 5.05v to 5.1v on my meter. I understand not current limited...

Pin W3 and W4 were definitely in the down position, I made sure they were before applying power. Tripple checked it, because when i initially read the manual, I read the warning and didn't want to get that wrong. When it smoked I figured I did it upside down or something, but when I took it out I placed it right by the manual diagram.

Oh, ok, yes, probably because it wasn't communication with linuxCNC so that's why i was reading 5v...

Since this unit will be 12 or 15 ft away from the computer I guess I will buy an extra long USB cable to supply power to the 7i92, should I use another usb cable to supply 7i77? and you are saying from the computer's USB port to the 7i92 and 7i77 power connections.

Yes, the W5 smoked for sure, and I thought someplace towards the center too, but couldn't see any damage from a quick look.

How should I proceed?
I will get some extra long USB cables to supply power.
Power up 7i92 and make sure it's connected to LinuxCNC then check I/O pins for 5v?
Last edit: 21 Jun 2019 03:34 by randypetersen.

More
21 Jun 2019 03:39 #137445 by PCW
If W5 smoked it does suggest that it was not in the right position
I would go back to you original settings (7I92 W4 UP 7I77 W5 LEFT)
and power temporarily with a USB cable and see if everything is OK
(after replacing W5)

I suggested a USB cable for testing but its not the best for operation.
for operation I would use a 1A or so 5V DIN rail supply or similar
(to maintain electrical isolation of the 7I77 encoder and Analog section from the PC)

More
22 Jun 2019 02:23 #137538 by randypetersen
Update: I went to move the jumpers and noticed they were melted. I moved the 7i92 to the up position and the 7i77 to the left positiion.

Powered the 7i92 (like it was powered and working before) this time with a USB cable from the computer and the 7i92 lit up, but the connected 7i77 didn't show any signs of life. Checked everything several times and was about to give up. Just for the heck of it I replaced the jumpers on the 7i92 and the 7i77 had some lights come on.

LinuxCNC still didn't open, but the log did say it found the 7i92. I ran out of time, but will dig more into it tomorrow.

More
26 Jun 2019 03:59 - 26 Jun 2019 04:00 #137859 by randypetersen
I made my connection cables to go to the DB15 cables that went to the encoders to the screw type connections on the 7i77 and same for the servo drivers. I have yet to connect to any of the limit switches and other input and output. Since the power supply that is powering the servo motors is 48V i will not connect that to the field power of course. My question is since I am now powering the 7i92 and connected 7i77 through the USB and that is working fine, what would you suggest for a field power supply. When I initially came up with my game plan, I was going to use the PC power supply for the 5V for the boards, and the 12V for the field power supply, but since you told me to avoid the power supply (I'll bet that 12 PC PS is about 10amps) I am now wondering what you would suggest for testing the FIELD POWER in/outs? I got a whole box of transformers, would like a 19v laptop power supply running 3amps be a good power supply? or should I am for something less volts and/or less amps?

I am really careful with this board, and if it's still OK, I don't want to jeopardize anything going forward.

Thanks PCW for the help, and thanks for anyone's input!
Last edit: 26 Jun 2019 04:00 by randypetersen. Reason: added thanks

More
26 Jun 2019 04:35 #137862 by PCW
I would use as low a current supply as you have for initial testing since a hefty power supply an a wiring mistake would be bad.

( only 400 mA or so is needed at for the 5V and less than 100 mA for the 12/24V field voltage)

The laptop supply should be OK for the field voltage, just make sure you have the polarity correct

More
26 Jun 2019 12:56 #137894 by randypetersen
Thanks for the info, I will try to find an even lower current supply, and of course I will make sure the polarity is correct.

Once I do get a power supply and test it, since W1 is in it's default position, I should just connect the positive to TB2 pin 1 and ground to TB2 pin 8. Why is there 4 different vfield power pins? Do they power different input and output pins? Just curious.

Thanks!
Attachments:

More
26 Jun 2019 13:15 #137897 by PCW
There are 4 field I/O pins since maximum current can be in the 5A region
For normal low power loads you can just use 1 and 8

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds