Controller recommendations (other than mesa)

More
23 Feb 2020 16:09 #158305 by neowalla
Hi everyone, I would love to replace the RIchauto controller that came installed on my CNC with something that works with LinuxCNC. I have tried a mesa 7176e and am selling it on ebay. I never got it to connect and their documentation sucks. I've wasted far too much time on them already.
I have looked at the wiki and unfortunately it seems there are only 3 listed under ethernet-based controllers, which is what I would prefer because of the location of my bench where my pc/monitor sit.
My CNC is an Omni 1200 (Chinese)
The stepper motor drivers are Yako YKD2608MH
The VFD is an Omron 3G3JZ-AB022
I'm just looking for suggestions from anyone's experience. I'll research the companies and see what kind of documentation they offer BEFORE I buy another one.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Feb 2020 17:03 #158312 by bevins

Hi everyone, I would love to replace the RIchauto controller that came installed on my CNC with something that works with LinuxCNC. I have tried a mesa 7176e and am selling it on ebay. I never got it to connect and their documentation sucks. I've wasted far too much time on them already.
I have looked at the wiki and unfortunately it seems there are only 3 listed under ethernet-based controllers, which is what I would prefer because of the location of my bench where my pc/monitor sit.
My CNC is an Omni 1200 (Chinese)
The stepper motor drivers are Yako YKD2608MH
The VFD is an Omron 3G3JZ-AB022
I'm just looking for suggestions from anyone's experience. I'll research the companies and see what kind of documentation they offer BEFORE I buy another one.

What are you asking for the 7i76E. I'd buy it.

However, There are other linuxcnc solutions than mesa re: pico systems.

But I am afraid you will run into the same issue. Your issue seems to be a networking issue since you cannot connect to the board. I would hardly categorically state these cards don't work. I would be checking networking issues. This stuff just works. I have been using mesa cards for 10 years or so. I have never had a service call on a machine for an issue with a mesa card.... NEVER....

Take a deep breath, get back to the basics and troubleshoot the networking issues you are having. If you need help everyone is here to help. But to just give up, your likely to have to give up on some other controller also.

Just my 2 cents...

More
23 Feb 2020 17:34 #158315 by neowalla
I paid $200 for it. Make me an offer. It had power to it, and ethernet, but none of the other connections ever connections ever got plugged in. I terminated the connection blocks but never got to plugging them in since I couldn't get past the ethernet connection.
The ethernet issue was really the last straw. Just trying to decipher the wiring for the steppers, VFD, and prox switches was frustration enough.
I'll just keep the Richauto controller at this point if all controller companies assume everyone knows everything already and no one needs silly little things like wiring diagrams.

More
23 Feb 2020 17:56 - 23 Feb 2020 17:58 #158316 by bevins
Like, what do you need more? Here is a silly little wiring diagram.

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Attachments:
Last edit: 23 Feb 2020 17:58 by bevins.

More
23 Feb 2020 17:59 #158317 by tommylight

This stuff just works. I have been using mesa cards for 10 years or so. I have never had a service call on a machine for an issue with a mesa card.... NEVER....

Same here, for over 5 years, on industrial machines, more than 10 of them, over 30 boards ! Never a single issue.
That is absolutely not the issue here, the issue is not following procedures and reading/understanding the steps needed.
@neowalla most probably found one the several posts on this forum about editing network files to get Mesa to work, and that is never a good idea, never mess with system critical files.
I am trying to edit them whenever i bump into them, but they are still there and they do cause failure to set the network properly.
I already linked to how the network should be set up in the other topic, and that always works.

More
23 Feb 2020 18:29 #158320 by neowalla
I'm happy for you guys and your love for the mesa. That's not what I am asking here. I'm asking if anyone ELSE has successfully used a controller from another manufacturer. I'm not going to argue with you about it and I don't care how wonderful you think they are. I'm looking for experience with other options that work with LinuxCNC.

More
23 Feb 2020 21:48 #158331 by cmorley
There are no other Ethernet solutions besides Mesa

Chris

More
23 Feb 2020 21:50 #158332 by cmorley

Like, what do you need more? Here is a silly little wiring diagram.

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Hey can i use your PDF in pncconf?

Chris

More
23 Feb 2020 21:51 #158333 by neowalla
Alright, then I'm done with linuxcnc and will move on. Admins you can delete my profile here if you wish. I won't be back. Thank you all for your input.

More
23 Feb 2020 22:25 #158337 by Benb
@neowalla
If you find hardware and software at comparable capabilities and price let me know.
I see you are not happy with all the help you got and you did not take to thank any of volunteers who took the time to answer your questions and even loaded schematics to try to guide you. Sad!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds