AMC drive J1 removal.

More
12 Apr 2020 02:42 #163715 by Catch22
Replied by Catch22 on topic AMC drive J1 removal.

You did say to try a 1KOhm resistor between the inhibit and signal ground but I only have 2.7k resistor will that work or is that to much.

This was the easiest solution, try it.
If it does not work with a 2.7K, try two in parallel, or 3 or even 4.

I tried it and it worked, the drive was not enabled, now where do I wire the enable from the 7i77 to on the drive? Do I still go to inhibit?

Yes.
Did it work with one only ?

Yes it did with only 1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Apr 2020 02:44 #163718 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic AMC drive J1 removal.

Yes it did with only 1

Very nice. Thank you for reporting back.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Catch22

More
12 Apr 2020 02:54 - 12 Apr 2020 02:57 #163721 by Catch22

Yes it did with only 1

Thank you for helping me out.
Where do I wire the enable from the 7i77 0 to 3 to on the drive? Do I still go to inhibit?
Last edit: 12 Apr 2020 02:57 by Catch22. Reason: Spelling mistake

More
12 Apr 2020 15:22 #163774 by tommylight

Yes it did with only 1

Where do I wire the enable from the 7i77 0 to 3 to on the drive? Do I still go to inhibit?

Yes.
Mesa 7i77 has two pins for enabling each axis, one of those pins goes to inhibit, the other to +5V or +24V depending on the drive.
Just in case it does not work, reverse those two wires on the 7i77.

More
12 Apr 2020 16:47 #163784 by Catch22

Yes it did with only 1

Yes.
Mesa 7i77 has two pins for enabling each axis, one of those pins goes to inhibit, the other to +5V or +24V depending on the drive.
Just in case it does not work, reverse those two wires on the 7i77.

Ya I got in a bit of a hurry, and with the 2.7 ohm resistor I thought I would try and touch 5v to the inhibit, big mistake as it blew a bunch of fuses in the panel and I think it fried the drive also. Sometimes I'm my own worst enemy.
Luckily it was a spare drive that I tried it on, hopefully I didn't message anything up in the panel.
Ok so the one wire goes to inhibit still with the resistor in place going from inhibit to signal ground, and the other to 5v which is?
Attachments:

More
12 Apr 2020 17:17 #163792 by tommylight

Ya I got in a bit of a hurry, and with the 2.7 ohm resistor I thought I would try and touch 5v to the inhibit, big mistake as it blew a bunch of fuses in the panel and I think it fried the drive also.

Is it a 2.7 Ohm or 2.7KOhm ?
That is a huge difference.
2.7Ohm will not work, but the drive should be OK.
There is the +10V 3mA output on the drive, so that would work for the other wire.

More
12 Apr 2020 17:22 - 12 Apr 2020 17:25 #163793 by Catch22

Ya I got in a bit of a hurry, and with the 2.7 ohm resistor I thought I would try and touch 5v to the inhibit, big mistake as it blew a bunch of fuses in the panel and I think it fried the drive also.

Is it a 2.7 Ohm or 2.7KOhm ?
That is a huge difference.
2.7Ohm will not work, but the drive should be OK.
There is the +10V 3mA output on the drive, so that would work for the other wire.

Ok then I have to switch the 7i77 to mode 2 and add some Hal logic to get it to work, is that correct?
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Apr 2020 17:25 by Catch22. Reason: Ad more

More
12 Apr 2020 17:37 #163794 by tommylight

Ok then I have to switch the 7i77 to mode 2 and add some Hal logic to get it to work, is that correct?

No, no need for that.
2.7KOhm resistor is OK, but that means you had something else very wrong there, as 2.7K should not do anything when connected to 5V, or 10V or 24V for that matter. That would still be under 1mA of current.

More
12 Apr 2020 17:50 #163798 by Catch22

No, no need for that.
2.7KOhm resistor is OK, but that means you had something else very wrong there, as 2.7K should not do anything when connected to 5V, or 10V or 24V for that matter. That would still be under 1mA of current.

Ok thanks, I will give that a try when I get some fuses tomorrow, thanks for all the information, I really appreciate it.

More
13 Apr 2020 14:38 #163876 by OT-CNC
Replied by OT-CNC on topic AMC drive J1 removal.
Let me guess, the drive with the clear tape on it is giving you trouble? I bought 2 off fleabay both had ugly clear packing tape on it as a "warranty " label. Was made to look like factory protectant covering to trick buyer into thinking it's new. Well, both of mine were duds. I was told if I removed the covering they would not refund. Seller T**-*i did make good on the return. So heads up, if this is from the same seller. Don't expect it to work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, Catch22

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.302 seconds