7i76e what am I doing wrong

More
04 Jan 2021 02:16 #194004 by tommylight
@PCW, sorry missed that
@Toyota, Mint 19.3 is better for now, everything works properly, while 20 uses Python3 so anything using Python2 will have issues.
I've already downgraded 2 of my PC's due to such issues.
For machine control it works perfectly, for development steer clear off it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: my1987toyota

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jan 2021 12:01 #194030 by my1987toyota

@Toyota, Mint 19.3 is better for now, everything works properly, while 20 uses Python3 so anything using Python2 will have issues.
I've already downgraded 2 of my PC's due to such issues.
For machine control it works perfectly, for development steer clear off it.

That's good to know . I tried to install linux Mint 20 and Linuxcnc last night as per the instructions but am having a bit of a time
pulling up GRUB so I can complete the install. I may end up putting 19.3 back on. I am glad these are still fresh installs
so no big deal playing around with them both.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
05 Jan 2021 00:03 #194095 by my1987toyota
So I did a comprimise. I installed Mint 19.3 as a dual boot with the Mint 20 ( a first for me ). Now because
of the dual boot I can now access the grub menu. For now I am running Mint 19.3 .I set up the ethernet address
as per the instruction, Then set up the Pncconf , and wait for it . YEEEESSS it is now working. :woohoo:
A special thanks to PCW and tommylight for the help .

I hope one day I will be good enough to not feel like a complete
moron every time I set up a new machine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, rodw

More
05 Jan 2021 00:57 #194105 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic 7i76e what am I doing wrong
If it helps, I really dislike Debian so Mint 19.3 here I come (again). My spaceship runs Mint 17.3 and back then PCW and others
tirelessly guided me through compiling the PREEMPT_RT kernel. I did that a few times but I'm so rusty now! At least there are easier ways today.

I tried Debian last night on an Odroid H2+ but it refused to install without an internet connection and I needed to install the Realtek 2.5 Gb network driver for the Odroid so it was a total stalemate. Mint just breezed through the install and I added the network driver later.

More
06 Jan 2021 01:49 #194180 by my1987toyota
I wonder why the official release is Debian Buster if Mint 19.3 is more forgiving to install ?

More
06 Jan 2021 03:09 #194184 by rodw

I wonder why the official release is Debian Buster if Mint 19.3 is more forgiving to install ?

Debian were the only ones to consent to linuxcnc respinning their ISO under their license conditions.
We do have permission to release a version using Mint so I live in hope.

I compiled the PREMPT_RT kernel last night and that was pretty straight forward but its not booting due to an UEFI issue which I hope to resolve. No EFI_MEMMAP
The following user(s) said Thank You: my1987toyota

More
06 Jan 2021 12:46 #194214 by my1987toyota
I hope your install goes well rodw . From what I experienced install issues will chase off all but the determined
,hence Mach 3&4 or Centroid Acorn. Although I am sure the aforementioned has their own share of issue's.
Unfortunately I don't know near enough to help correct the problem.

More
06 Jan 2021 13:03 #194217 by tommylight
It literally takes downloading a file, adding a key and installing LinuxCNC!
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...nd-easy-installation
The same thing for Debian Buster, add a key and install as described in the official docs.
I fail to see the the benefit of compiling the kernel when there are plenty of them to choose from ready made that take about a single minute to install. I do see the downside as it will be much slower and have worse latency as it will compile a lot of unused stuff if it is not deselected during the setup.
Compiling LinuxCNC is useful for development, but it stops there, and even that is much better done as RIP (run in place) as the changes can be tested without waiting for several hours to compile.

More
07 Jan 2021 00:17 #194311 by rodw

It literally takes downloading a file, adding a key and installing LinuxCNC!

That may be the case now but back when I built my spaceship, that was the only way I could end up with a preempt_rt kernel.
The initial stretch distro changed that.
Some hardware does not like Debian which is my problem right now

Tommy, it would be useful if you could sticky that thread as the only easy to find option is Mint 2.0 which we don't want to use.

I do like run in place myself. In fact thats all I've ever used. Sorting out the dependencies are a bit of a pain and now I found QT adds a whole host more dependencies to run QTPlasmac

More
07 Jan 2021 08:06 #194332 by rodw

I hope your install goes well rodw . From what I experienced install issues will chase off all but the determined
,hence Mach 3&4 or Centroid Acorn. Although I am sure the aforementioned has their own share of issue's.
Unfortunately I don't know near enough to help correct the problem.

Really if you want to install on an alternative ISO distribution to what is published on the linuxcnc site, you deserve to be on your own. The official iso is quite straightforward to install.

I am up and running now with V2.9 Run In Place (my choice to do that) and PREEMPT_RT. The Odroid Latency was worse than my earlier install but I have resolved that now with some BIOS tweaks and testing overnight. QTPlasmac looks cool.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds