Linux will not recognize my BOB no matter WHAT I try to do

More
18 May 2021 03:06 #209299 by Kidkasual1
SWEET...... Thank you, Jon. Here is the output from the terminal. I was having some issue uploading the file to the forum, so I just copied and pasted it here. Sorry.

kidkasual@Mill:~$ linuxcnc
LINUXCNC - 2.8.1
Machine configuration directory is '/home/kidkasual/linuxcnc/configs/Mill'
Machine configuration file is 'Mill.ini'
Starting LinuxCNC...
Found file(REL): ./Mill.hal
Note: Using POSIX realtime
config string '0xe010 out'
Linux parallel port @57360 not found
Found file(REL): ./custom.hal

note: MAXV max: 2.000 units/sec 120.000 units/min
note: LJOG max: 2.000 units/sec 120.000 units/min
note: LJOG default: 0.200 units/sec 12.000 units/min
note: AJOG max: 360.000 units/sec 21600.000 units/min
note: AJOG default: 36.000 units/sec 2160.000 units/min
note: jog_order='XYZA'
note: jog_invert=set([])
Shutting down and cleaning up LinuxCNC...
task: 10261 cycles, min=0.000045, max=0.091496, avg=0.010052, 0 latency excursions (> 10x expected cycle time of 0.010000s)
kidkasual@Mill:~$

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2021 10:24 #209326 by andypugh

Reporting paralell port not found twice is a little strange. What is in your custom.hal?

More
18 May 2021 13:40 #209348 by Kidkasual1
Literally nothing but the two Linux pre-generated comment lines at the top of the file.

More
18 May 2021 14:11 #209354 by BeagleBrainz
Best option would be to attach, not take photos, of your Hal & ini files. This will get you the best help and cut down on all the backwards and forwards.

More
18 May 2021 16:47 #209360 by Kidkasual1
Everything is already attached in prior posts

More
18 May 2021 16:48 #209362 by Kidkasual1
All attached files are labeled accordingly in the file name as to what the are.

More
18 May 2021 22:11 #209417 by BeagleBrainz

Reporting paralell port not found twice is a little strange. What is in your custom.hal?

I think what our friend copy & pasted was a truncated error report.

More
24 May 2021 17:49 #210087 by Kidkasual1
So, its been a week since I posted last. I was hoping that the extended break in responses would be due to, perhaps, someone doing some digging and looking into trying to actually fix the problems that I STILL have with Linux, but sadly, apparently not. At this point, I can only assume one of two things - either no one actually KNOWS how to fix this problem, OR no one actually CARES to help fix the problem. What else can someone think when all communications completely stop BEFORE the problem is actually fixed???
While naively waiting for further help, I have installed Linux on a total of 6 different computers that span more than 20 years of computer technology and advancement between their operating systems and hardware, 2 of them 32 bit and 4 of them 64 bit. I have installed Linux Buster and Linux Wheezy. NOTHING WORKS on ANY machine. PERIOD. At this point between the lack of functionality inherent in the Linux system and the lack of ANY response to try to help within the last WEEK, I am just about done with Linux. I thought Linux would be the solution. It is VERY quickly turning out to be nothing but a snakes den of assache and frustration that has had me 100% UNABLE to run my business for a FULL 4 WEEKS now because my mill is down, TRYING to be run by Linux. For something touted as "auto-configuring" and "plug-and-play", it has been ANYTHING and EVERYTHING BUT. And NO. It is NOT my hardware. Does anyone else have any input on the problem, or should I just chalk this up to a HORRIBLE, month-long mistake that I will talk about to everyone I know for the rest of forever? I am not trying to be an ass. I am TRYING to SOLVE the problem with Linux. How much is a SOLID MONTH'S worth of YOUR time valued at???

More
24 May 2021 18:28 #210089 by BeagleBrainz
Ok everyone has given the best advice they can. Without actually sitting in front of the machine it is hard to diagnose.
Now if it had been my business and my machine had of been down for a week, I would have bit the bullet and bought a motherboard, such as a Asrock J3355, which has an on board Parallel port and be done with it.
Now I don’t think Linuxcnc has been recommended as plug and play, most will say that there is a learning curve.
One thing I would not of done is take a machine out of commission if my business depended on it. The sane thing would have been to keep it running on the current control setup, get hold of a suitable 2nd machine, setup that up as far as possible get use to the software then do the change over.

None of us are paid to offer support, none of us are required to answer every question that comes up.
Now there are plenty of topics on this issue, even using google returns quite a few hits other than your topic. Did you try that ? Did you look at the other topics ?
If you tried Linuxcnc on other machines with the same card installed and nothing worked logically you would have to look at the common denominator, ie: the parallel card.
When electronics go bad they can get flaky, this I know from working on board level repairs.
Hundreds use Linuxcnc for hobby and production use. Some even produce commercial machines and ship with Linuxcnc, Tormach’s Path Pilot is Linuxcnc under the hood. They have faith in it and have contributed to the project.
Linuxcnc is not a “bad product”. No one has ever said it is “auto config” and “plug and play”. If someone did tell you that they were very very wrong, and the person at fault is them.
So you have a couple of options.
1: Revert back to your old control system.
2: Buy a replacement PP card.
3: Buy a computer or motherboard with a built in PP.

I know it’s a bitch, but seriously after 4 weeks of not being to to use your main machine, that is squarely in your court.
The following user(s) said Thank You: arvidb

More
24 May 2021 19:30 #210094 by andypugh

1: Revert back to your old control system.
2: Buy a replacement PP card.
3: Buy a computer or motherboard with a built in PP..

There is also the option of a 5i25, that can do everything that a parport does, and an awful lot more besides, for not that much more than a parallel port card.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds