Parallel Port Configuration Tool

More
21 Jul 2021 18:40 #215515 by BigJohnT
I even have it making the ini file, the rest should fall in line shortly or longer...

JT
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jul 2021 19:39 #215521 by Clive S
JT
I am sure you are aware that for homing  and squaring a gantry machine needs the 2 sync joints needs to be the same -ve number ie. HOME SEQUENCE = -2 if that can be done with  your config tool.

Thanks for the big effort you are putting in.

More
21 Jul 2021 21:35 #215528 by tommylight
Also, parallel port needs a base period, seen missing in the picture ... oh i know it's gone for a swim ! :)

More
22 Jul 2021 00:59 #215542 by BigJohnT

JT
I am sure you are aware that for homing  and squaring a gantry machine needs the 2 sync joints needs to be the same -ve number ie. HOME SEQUENCE = -2 if that can be done with  your config tool.

Thanks for the big effort you are putting in.

Yes, I'm aware of that and it's quite fun to sort all this out. I'm sure this tool will be a step above Stepconf in flexibility and features.

Thanks for the support.
JT

More
22 Jul 2021 01:03 #215543 by BigJohnT

Also, parallel port needs a base period, seen missing in the picture ... oh i know it's gone for a swim ! :)

Well the base period is in the GUI and is now in the buildini.py file, thanks for pointing that out. With you guys help we can make this a great tool! I am adapting this from my 7i96 configuration tool so some things need sorting out. Still working out how to load the inputs/outputs from the ini file as they are a qpushbutton with a menu added to get the choices which makes for some fun programming but I think an easier to navigate GUI I hope.

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, Clive S

More
23 Jul 2021 12:58 - 23 Jul 2021 13:00 #215684 by BigJohnT
Made some good progress while on vacation and figured out how to set the I/O when loading the ini file. It was quite interesting to do because if you set the port for in or out the number of outputs and inputs changed. I pushed a fresh deb if anyone wants to look at it. Now I can fix the rest of the configuration tools to load the smart serial I/O properly.

if anyone is curious this is how I solved the puzzle.
if config.has_option('PARAPORT_1', 'PARAPORT_1_TYPE'):
  for i in range(len(parent.p1inBtns)):
  button = parent.p1inBtns.get(f'p1InPB_{i}')
  button.setText(config['PARAPORT_1'][f'PORT_1_IN_{i}'])
for i in range(len(parent.p1outBtns)):
  button = parent.p1outBtns.get(f'p1OutPB_{i}')
  button.setText(config['PARAPORT_1'][f'PORT_1_OUT_{i}'])

JT[/code]
Attachments:
Last edit: 23 Jul 2021 13:00 by BigJohnT.

More
24 Jul 2021 15:30 #215787 by BigJohnT
Made more progress this morning and uploaded a deb. The configuration tool will make a configuration that loads without error but no axes are programmed yet... tomorrow.

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
25 Jul 2021 14:12 #215856 by BigJohnT
Made more progress this morning and the configuration tool will build and load the ini file. There may be a few things missing in the ini, but I can't spot them. On to the hal file now.

JT

More
27 Jul 2021 12:10 #216039 by BigJohnT
I finally figured out how to handle the joints and a gantry by selecting the joint if the output pin is an axis. If the output is not an axis the combo box is disabled to avoid confusion. Pressing F1 on any tab brings up help for that tab.

JT
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
27 Jul 2021 22:20 #216076 by BigJohnT
Kinda slow here today so I got the invert check boxes added and cleaned up the code a bit. The inputs and outputs are build on the fly when you select the port type. It will make a config that does not have an error still working on the axes and joints part of the hal file, but getting close. The goal is easy to use and able to make a gantry configuration.

JT
Attachments:

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.281 seconds