Run Mesa 7i76e + 7i85 with 3 servos and 1 stepper motor

More
19 Mar 2022 21:47 - 19 Mar 2022 22:36 #237744 by MarcusM
Ok...one step done. The stepper motor turns now

But there are two new challenges to solve
1) The motor turns much to fast. Editing the carousel.N.*-dc values has no effect. Has the axis/joint parameter to be changed?
2) The home position of the carousel is wrong. I have no idea how to handle, as I can not use the classical axis homing stuff.

Any ideas?

Thanks & best regards
Marcus
Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Mar 2022 22:36 by MarcusM.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Mar 2022 01:11 #237763 by tommylight
How is the stepper motor attached to the carousel/umbrella ?
Belt? Direct drive? Force field :) ?
How many steps does the motor have to do for a full revolution of the carousel?
What microstepping is set on the drives?
Those are all things that will mess with the speed and position of the pockets.

More
20 Mar 2022 16:37 - 20 Mar 2022 16:50 #237825 by MarcusM
In the meantime, I found the matching value to reduce speed. This was a bit tricky. I changed the carousel.*-dc values and nothing happens. So i deleted them and played with the axes/joint values. It needs so time to realize, that the carousel.*-dc has no effect, but has to exist regardless. I changed now the max_vel and max_acc to get proper speed.

The motor is directly attached to the carousel. There is no gear. Microstepping is 1.600. Seems to be ok.

Next issue is to figure out, how to drive the carousel to pocket-1-position after/within the init-sequence.
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Mar 2022 16:50 by MarcusM.

More
22 Mar 2022 01:28 #237987 by andypugh

It needs so time to realize, that the carousel.*-dc has no effect, but has to exist regardless. I changed now the max_vel and max_acc to get proper speed.

The "dc" outputs ought to work.
github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/blob/master...s/carousel.comp#L266
Shows that the motor-vel pin should be the same as the duty cycle.
I suspect that you had simply set the fwd-dc and rev-dc too high. 2 = 2 revs per second...
Try numbers less than 1.

Next issue is to figure out, how to drive the carousel to pocket-1-position after/within the init-sequence.

Does it need to? It should home itself the first time that it is enabled. Though I don't see any connection to the "sense-0" pin (home sensor) in your HAL file.

More
22 Mar 2022 20:55 #238035 by MarcusM

Does it need to? It should home itself the first time that it is enabled. Though I don't see any connection to the "sense-0" pin (home sensor) in your HAL file.

I'am sorry - I didn't attach my lastest config files. They're added now.

The sense-o pin is connected to a digital-in and works fine. While doing M13, the carousel stops at sense-0 = high as expected. Unfortunately the position of the pockets will not fit with needed position. So I have to offset - just like in a typical axis homing too. In the moment I have no idea, how to make that best. Is it a good way, to config the carousel stepper as a axis and do a usual axis homing?

And another issue I think about: After correct homing I obviously do not need the step-calculation in M11 and M12...I just have to jog n times where n is the amount of pockets to move. Is this correct? As I'am not a software developer: How can I code a carousel jog in the M12 ngc file?   
Attachments:

More
22 Mar 2022 21:19 #238040 by andypugh
I had rather assumed that the index sensor was in the right place....

Would a home-offset pin help? I have added one.
Attachments:

More
22 Mar 2022 21:20 #238042 by andypugh

And another issue I think about: After correct homing I obviously do not need the step-calculation in M11 and M12...I just have to jog n times where n is the amount of pockets to move. Is this correct? As I'am not a software developer: How can I code a carousel jog in the M12 ngc file?   

The carousel component has jogging built in. Just connect buttons (physical or software) to the carousel.0.jog-plus and jog-minus pins. 

More
22 Mar 2022 21:28 #238043 by MarcusM

Would a home-offset pin help? I have added one.

So cool Thanks a lot. I'll try that an be back.

Regarding the jogging: I'm wondering, if I could do that in the easy way (n-times x jog). I'am afraid, I could to pipeline n jog commands...

More
23 Mar 2022 20:44 #238133 by MarcusM
Looks good :-) But the result isn't as expected

I hope it's ok to ask another question. I didn't get 100%, what to define in carousel.N.width. And what the value has effect to the carousel moves.  My pockets has a distance of 200 steps (carousel.N.scale = 200). In the moment, I defined a width of 110 after some try and error. Confusing side effect: home-offset is 0 in the moment.

After homing by M13, the carousel stops by the prox sensor - with wrong position for pocket 1. After jogging cw once, pocket 1 is positioned perfectely. All jogs after this procedure are fine and as needed.

More
24 Mar 2022 20:10 #238265 by andypugh
I would expect the "width" to be small. It's basically so that the stepper has time to stop. (And so that the system has time to notice that the counts nearly match a pocket.)

Try something like 20 for width and then adjust the offset so that it homes to pocket 1.

Testing might get tedious, it might help to create a pin to manually unhome the carousel.
Change the "homed" pin from "r" to "rw" so that you can "halcmd setp" it back to 0 from the command line, and then the carousel will re-home next time it is enabled.

github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/blob/master...s/carousel.comp#L101

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds