Probe Interface Board Design (resistance switching)

More
27 Feb 2024 19:33 #294629 by yrsiddhapura
could you please share schematic and Gerber files cant wait to try on mine omp60 i just find mine probe will share pics once assemble it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Feb 2024 20:25 #294799 by fletch
Hi Yagnesh

Yes, I will share all the schematic and gerbers on github - although I have a few spare v1.0 PCBs but I haven't yet tested on the CNC - still have to print a case to avoid shorting on all the chips.

Talking of pictures, here's the first one fully soldered without releasing any blue smoke (paired, obviously, with a Mostly Printed Probe). 

Philip
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, blazini36, yrsiddhapura, Mecanix

More
01 Mar 2024 23:20 #294871 by vre

could you please share schematic and Gerber files cant wait to try on mine omp60 i just find mine probe will share pics once assemble it.

I have also an omp60 without receiving unit..
if you find solution how to operate it without receiver please tell me.

More
06 Mar 2024 15:04 #295328 by yrsiddhapura
Well i am planing to use it as wired probe with fletch's interface board as i am gone use it on a HBM machine which doesn't an ATC so for me its not important whether its wired or wireless.

More
17 Apr 2024 09:16 - 17 Apr 2024 14:30 #298425 by fletch
After a bit of a delay (for reasons), I'm now back to testing the populated board on my machine rather than the bench. Although I've yet to do the micrometer test, it appears to work - it is, as expected, quite sensitive to electrical noise. For me, this only occurs when turning off the mist relay but as I found out over the weekend, this will stop a running job!

I may be able to tune is out but I'd also like to disable the probe input in hal when the probe tool is not inserted (to also prevent the spindle from being turned on) - I've not yet found out how to do this, so will likely create a separate forum thread...

Edit: Scratch that. Solved with a big ol' flyback diode across the solenoid contacts (which I thought it already had on the tiny PCB next to the contacts)...

If anyone would like a v1 PCB, I'd be happy to send you one for the cost of the postage.
Last edit: 17 Apr 2024 14:30 by fletch.

More
17 Apr 2024 18:27 #298479 by Mecanix
Prolly easier to just dump schematic & bom. Bet a few here could improve it where it needs and if it needs. Happy to assemble one myself and give it a trial, got 6 weeks off starting mid-may~end-june...

More
17 Apr 2024 19:56 #298485 by fletch

Prolly easier to just dump schematic & bom. Bet a few here could improve it where it needs and if it needs.
Happy to assemble one myself and give it a trial, got 6 weeks off starting mid-may~end-june...

S'funny you should suggest that cos I've just pushed the schematic and BOM to github:

github.com/Stutchbury/CNCProbeInterface/tree/main/docs

I think "if it needs" might be a bit optimistic :-)  It works well so far but I completely forgot about an 'enable' option and there may be better ways to do certain things.

Not sure PMs work here but my email address is on my github page.

The following user(s) said Thank You: pommen, Mecanix

More
17 Apr 2024 20:10 #298487 by fletch
I've also just uploaded the case and din rail mount (my first print-in-place design).

github.com/Stutchbury/CNCProbeInterface/tree/main/stl

Enjoy
Attachments:

More
17 Apr 2024 21:25 #298496 by Mecanix
Oh christ who came up with this springy pcb clippy idea? that's just so brilliant (and useful)!!!

Placing the monthly passives and components order this coming week. I'll swing in what's needed in that lot. Nice work man
The following user(s) said Thank You: fletch

More
18 Apr 2024 18:38 #298569 by fletch

Oh christ who came up with this springy pcb clippy idea? that's just so brilliant (and useful)!!!

Placing the monthly passives and components order this coming week. I'll swing in what's needed in that lot. Nice work man

Thank you - the design is mine but based on something I saw a year ago with a single 'spring' but now, of course, can't find - so I can't take all the credit.

Quick update: I did some more testing today with my new improved Renishaw mount, complete with magnetic connector:

and am very happy with the results:

My test 'hole' is exactly 20mm (I always thought they were never exact, but this one is bang on the money) so to be between just 8-35 thousandths of a millimetre off makes all the effort worthwhile. Repeatability of less than a few thousandths is good too.

I'm sure if I wasn't using a 21 year old probe it would be even better but the ability to 'tune' the resistance of the knackered contacts was very useful.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: yrsiddhapura

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.948 seconds