Bridgeport Series 1 Anilam GXM retrofit

More
17 Mar 2012 02:15 - 17 Mar 2012 02:25 #18620 by drembedded
Now that I've isolated the old control from the remaining electronics, I can power up the servos using a manual momentary push button switch (this was part of the original control). The original control also had a reset soft button which would do the same thing. I'd like to add this capability to LinuxCNC.

The question I have is how to do this. I've identified two ways:

1) add a 24v relay which would be controlled by one of the field outputs. The other side of the relay would be normally open and when closed would connect the two wires that the momentary push button connects.

2) drive the circuit that the momentary switch closes directly with the field circuit. Not to crazy about this approach as I don't know exactly how the momentary switch is controlling the servo circuit.

Is there a "normal" way of doing this?
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Mar 2012 02:25 by drembedded.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Mar 2012 10:11 - 17 Mar 2012 12:30 #18621 by ArcEye
Hi

I don't know about a 'normal' way of doing it, everybody seems to end up with a slightly different approach.

When do you want your motors to be powered up?

If it is whenever LinuxCNC is powered up, you can just link halui.machine.is-on to an output pin controlling a relay as per your option 1)

If, more in line with the original controller, you want to be able to switch them off whilst you load programs etc after homing and touching off, and power down between programs whilst repositioning etc., you could have a pyvcp button which switches the same relay and switch them on /off as required.

I have a physical latched momentary switch and connected Estop from the old controller, which does this on my mill.

The EStop cuts power to the drives and drivers, by unlatching the switch, but it is semi-independent of LinuxCNC, so I can continue to use Axis after the physical Estop is activated and released, with the momentary switch unlatched.

There is a further software Estop on the pendant, as I will often be too far away to reach the hardware one when using it.

This is what the old controller ended up looking like, Estop and power-up switch and LED are bottom left.

regards
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Mar 2012 12:30 by ArcEye.

More
17 Mar 2012 13:06 - 20 Mar 2012 10:49 #18624 by BigJohnT
I've not had time to look at my Anilam 1100M but on my Hardinge the drive boards had an enable that I connected to the axis enable. This way when EMC was in control the axis is enabled.

On my 1100M there is a Servo Reset button that pulls in a contactor, I assume the contactor pulls in the drive enable lines...

John
Last edit: 20 Mar 2012 10:49 by BigJohnT.

More
20 Mar 2012 08:21 #18659 by drembedded
John and Arceye, thanks for your input. Its helpful to see how others have implemented theirs especially when there are multiple ways it can be done but some ways are better than others.

More
20 Mar 2012 08:38 #18660 by drembedded
Now on to my next question...

I've got my glass scales and rotary encoder (for the Z axis) wired up but I still needed to set my INPUT_SCALE values in my .ini file for each of these axis.

My Bridgeport has Anilam scales but I've had a heck of a time finding the information needed to set the INPUT_SCALE values. The Z axis encoder is even worse as it doesn't even have any markings on it.

So my thinking was that I'd use the HAL Meter and dial indicator on each axis. Then move that axis 0.1" on the dial indicator and see how much the COUNTS value changed in the HAL Meter.

This seemed to work for the X and Y and my INPUT_SCALE value is 2560. Does that seem correct?

But my Z axis is giving me fits. The value I"m getting for COUNTS in the HAL Meter isn't consistent when the dial indicator shows 0.1" of movement. What makes it even more difficult is that the Z axis servo makes it very hard to pull the Z axis arm to move the quill.

Also, in the HAL Meter what are the encode raw counts value?

More
20 Mar 2012 10:58 #18663 by BigJohnT
If it is similar to mine I would take the bottom cover off of the Z drive and turn the servo by hand and watch your dial indicator. Also take the front cover off of the Z and check the tightness of the quill adapter. It is a very weak connection and when I checked mine it was loose.

John

More
21 Mar 2012 02:58 - 21 Mar 2012 02:59 #18677 by drembedded
John, does your Z quill assembly look like mine?
Last edit: 21 Mar 2012 02:59 by drembedded.

More
21 Mar 2012 03:05 #18678 by drembedded
Grrrrrrrr, image file size limitation. What a PIA. Heres my Z drive assembly.
Attachments:

More
21 Mar 2012 12:03 - 21 Mar 2012 12:04 #18685 by BigJohnT
Yes, mine is exactly the same Z drive, except I don't have the "IN" button or light that you have.

John
Last edit: 21 Mar 2012 12:04 by BigJohnT.

More
21 Mar 2012 12:08 #18686 by BigJohnT
Did you solve the oiler question? Post a pic of it when you get a chance.

John

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds