Servo driver selection

More
04 Dec 2015 22:37 #66417 by Gatesy
Replied by Gatesy on topic Servo driver selection
I like the look of the Argon drive, but quite expensive, I can get a drive/servo from china cheaper than one Argon. But would they be as good as a Fanuc motor / Argon drive combo?

I see PICO do a lot of stuff suitable for Fanuc motors, but website does not say what mode their brushless servo amplifier works in, and if it is for AC motors?

Anyone using PICO stuff, any good?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Dec 2015 22:54 #66418 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Servo driver selection

I see PICO do a lot of stuff suitable for Fanuc motors, but website does not say what mode their brushless servo amplifier works in, and if it is for AC motors?

As far as I know there is no practical difference between an AC brushless servo and a brushless DC motor.

Lots of people. Are your motors of a voltage and current rating that is matched to the Pico drive specs?

More
04 Dec 2015 23:00 #66419 by Gatesy
I seem to recall reading somewhere that an AC brushless motor has a sinusoidal wave and a DC brushless motor a trapezoidal wave, can't remember where, and not really sure what difference it would make!! Would it make any difference if you were using step/dir control?

I think so, my motors are 47 volt, and 3 amp stall current

More
04 Dec 2015 23:07 - 04 Dec 2015 23:08 #66421 by andypugh

I seem to recall reading somewhere that an AC brushless motor has a sinusoidal wave and a DC brushless motor a trapezoidal wave,

That's a difference in the power supply, not the motor, though. You can drive an AC servo trapezoidally or drive a bldc sinusoidally.

Would it make any difference if you were using step/dir control?

None at all, that is a difference in the how the servo amp is controlled, not how the amp controls the motor.
Last edit: 04 Dec 2015 23:08 by andypugh.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gatesy

More
04 Dec 2015 23:26 #66423 by Gatesy
This was the only bit I found confusing about the PICO's. Do you have to do this to all AC servo drives, and does it have any effect on performance?

"The PWM frequency is determined by the motion controller, but should be between 25 and 100 Khz. The duty cycle can be reduced to zero, but must not reach 100%. Off time of at least 500 nS must be provided every cycle to recharge the "bootstrap" capacitors in the high-side transistor's gate drivers."

More
04 Dec 2015 23:33 #66424 by andypugh

Do you have to do this to all AC servo drives,

Nearly all servo drives require this, but it isn't always your job to ensure it.

The Pico (and Mesa) drives are "dumb drives". They just do exactly what you tell them to. There is no internal position loop, they don't handle end-stops, they just drive a motor at the current/voltage that you tell them to.

The Pico drive uses Hall sensors to commutate the motor. The Mesa drives don't even do that, the 7i39 and 8i20 are commutated in HAL too.

In some ways this is an advantage, it gives you much finer control, and you can see what is happening with HAL tools. It also save money.

More
04 Dec 2015 23:53 #66425 by Gatesy
So you supply the drive with DC, and it then chops the DC into various proportions which becomes AC, so if you were to run the drive at 100% duty cycle, would you just end up moving the DC voltage line to a higher value, i.e. at 0% and 100% you have DC, and anything in between you have AC?

So all the position control is done through LinuxCNC? As one closed loop circuit?

Is this approaching more the setup the likes of Fanuc and Heidenhain use?

More
05 Dec 2015 03:33 #66431 by jmelson
Replied by jmelson on topic Servo driver selection

I like the look of the Argon drive, but quite expensive, I can get a drive/servo from china cheaper than one Argon. But would they be as good as a Fanuc motor / Argon drive combo?

The Pico Systems brushless PWM servo amp is a six-step drive, not sinusoidal. So, it will not be as smooth as a sinusoidal drive. It depends on how the windings of the motor are wound. Some motors run as smooth as can be, some have a bit of "hum" or vibration to them, but it generally is pretty small. You can definitely hear the Fanuc motors hum at certain speeds, that is the disturbance when the drive advances to the next coil. But, the servo loop compensates for most of the effect.

Don't be fooled by that AC vs. DC label, there really is no such thing. Some motors have coils or magnet geometry optimized for trapezoidal drive, some are optimized for sinusoidal. But, do NOT assume when the motor is labeled AC or DC that it clearly tells you which it is designed for. Certainly, all brushless motors are truly AC motors.

Jon

More
05 Dec 2015 03:37 #66432 by jmelson

This was the only bit I found confusing about the PICO's. Do you have to do this to all AC servo drives, and does it have any effect on performance?

"The PWM frequency is determined by the motion controller, but should be between 25 and 100 Khz. The duty cycle can be reduced to zero, but must not reach 100%. Off time of at least 500 nS must be provided every cycle to recharge the "bootstrap" capacitors in the high-side transistor's gate drivers."

OK, first, (replying to an earlier message) there are no steps in the Pico Systems PWM controller/PWM servo amp system. Encoder position is read by the PC, LinuxCNC's PID computes a new velocity and sends it out to the PWM generator, and the servo amp provides current on the motor coils as selected by the Hall sensors.

Jon

More
05 Dec 2015 03:47 #66433 by jmelson

So you supply the drive with DC, and it then chops the DC into various proportions which becomes AC, so if you were to run the drive at 100% duty cycle, would you just end up moving the DC voltage line to a higher value, i.e. at 0% and 100% you have DC, and anything in between you have AC?

if the motor is turning, it is all AC, frequency determind by motor speed. The PWM pulses from the drive are integrated by the motor's inductance into a pretty continuous current flow.

So all the position control is done through LinuxCNC? As one closed loop circuit?

Yes, the position control feed through the PWM controller, and is managed by LinuxCNC.

Is this approaching more the setup the likes of Fanuc and Heidenhain use?

Fanuc sends 6 PWM signals to their servo amp, each drives one transistor. On the Pico PWM amp, there is one PWM and one direction signal, the current is sent to coils as directed by the Hall signals. I can't say how Heidenhain does it.

Jon

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.373 seconds