Servo driver selection

More
05 Dec 2015 04:32 - 05 Dec 2015 04:33 #66434 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Servo driver selection

Fanuc sends 6 PWM signals to their servo amp, each drives one transistor. On the Pico PWM amp, there is one PWM and one direction signal, the current is sent to coils as directed by the Hall signals.

This probably needs a more detailed explanation, but at some point every AC servo drive is just 6 transistors driven by a PWM signal. Where is gets complicated is who/where the PWM signal is defined.

At one extreme HAL decides how fast the motor should move, and a HAL component computes the individual 6-transistor PWM duty cycle. At the other extreme a step-dir pulse stream sends position commands and the drive handles all the volts/ohms/henrys details.
Last edit: 05 Dec 2015 04:33 by andypugh.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Dec 2015 11:31 #66447 by Gatesy
Replied by Gatesy on topic Servo driver selection
Ok, so reading through the recent replies

So on Fanuc it sends 6 PWM signals to the 6 transistors (1 signal for each transistor) whereas on the PICO system it still has 6 transistors but 1 PWM signal is sent that then gets fed to the 6 transistors?

If the fanuc drives have 6 transistors and the PICO is a 6 step drive, is this the same thing? So if using a PICO drive on a Fanuc motors will it perform the same as if using a Fanuc drive?

Using the PICO system and having LinuxCNC compute the moves, to me this seems much more like a proper closed loop control system, rather than having other parts of the system computing things as well as LinuxCNC

Is there any advantage in sending the individual PWM signals to each transistor over just using 1 PWM signal, or was this just the way it was done at the time? Is it because technology has progressed that you can send 1 signal?

I'm guessing that like with everything the technology available now as compared to 30 years ago means you can do the same thing with far less components, and using the computer to do more of the processing?

More
05 Dec 2015 17:57 #66474 by jmelson
Replied by jmelson on topic Servo driver selection

Ok, so reading through the recent replies

So on Fanuc it sends 6 PWM signals to the 6 transistors (1 signal for each transistor) whereas on the PICO system it still has 6 transistors but 1 PWM signal is sent that then gets fed to the 6 transistors?

If the fanuc drives have 6 transistors and the PICO is a 6 step drive, is this the same thing? So if using a PICO drive on a Fanuc motors will it perform the same as if using a Fanuc drive?

No, not the same. With the original version of the red cap motors, Fanuc apparently used a scheme where they have 16 steps in a synthetic sine-wave drive, as commanded by the 4 commutation bits from the encoder. The later systems with serial encoders generated a true sine wave using angle information from the encoder.

Using the PICO system and having LinuxCNC compute the moves, to me this seems much more like a proper closed loop control system, rather than having other parts of the system computing things as well as LinuxCNC

Is there any advantage in sending the individual PWM signals to each transistor over just using 1 PWM signal, or was this just the way it was done at the time? Is it because technology has progressed that you can send 1 signal?

Well, the Fanuc scheme allows them to have current in all 3 windings of the motor at all times. The six step scheme only has current in two windings at any time, and there is a current discontinuity every time the commutation advances to the next coil.

I'm guessing that like with everything the technology available now as compared to 30 years ago means you can do the same thing with far less components, and using the computer to do more of the processing?

In general, yes, but the Pico Systems servo amp is decidedly "old school".

Jon

More
05 Dec 2015 18:43 #66475 by Gatesy
Thanks for the further info.

Sorry but I'm more of a mechanical person than electronic, so I'm almost keeping up!!

So the output powers 2 windings, then as the motor rotates it moves round to the next winding, and so on. Is this like powering a 3 phase motor with single phase power where you rotate the single phase round the windings to simulate 3 phase?

Does the MESA 8I20 work the same way as it says this provides 3 phase power?

More
05 Dec 2015 19:07 #66476 by andypugh

So the output powers 2 windings, then as the motor rotates it moves round to the next winding, and so on. Is this like powering a 3 phase motor with single phase power where you rotate the single phase round the windings to simulate 3 phase?

Not quite.

The six steps are as-follows, where the three terminals (normally termed UVW) are either connected to positive voltage, negative voltage or no voltage.

UVW
0+-
-+0
-0+
0-+
+-0
+0-

Does the MESA 8I20 work the same way as it says this provides 3 phase power?

No, the 8i20 takes numeric input values on the serial link, the numbers represent commanded current and the motor rotor position. If the positions sent are the 6 steps of commutation (0, 60, 120, 180, 240, 300 degrees) then the output terminals will be driven like a 6-step drive, but normally in CNC applications you have an encoder on the motor, and can send a more accurate motor rotor position and get sinusoidal 3-phase drive.

More
05 Dec 2015 19:44 #66477 by Gatesy
That's great thanks, I can understand now!

Think I'm finally starting to understand a bit more now

So does the MESA drive take into account the rotational position of the motor whereas the PICO doesn't?

Does this mean that the MESA drive will give a smoother motion to the servo

More
05 Dec 2015 19:47 #66478 by Gatesy
Will driving the motor with the PICO drive (and the MESA??) mean that the motor will generate less power than when powered by the Fanuc drive?

More
05 Dec 2015 20:02 - 05 Dec 2015 20:04 #66480 by andypugh

Does this mean that the MESA drive will give a smoother motion to the servo

Any sinusoidal drive will give smoother motion than a trapezoidal drive, but it isn't an enormous effect.

There is a demo here:

The difference is mainly the sound the motor makes.

This came up next, and looks helpful.
Last edit: 05 Dec 2015 20:04 by andypugh.

More
05 Dec 2015 22:18 #66483 by Gatesy
What output do the PICO drive and MESA drive give out? Is it trapezoidal or sinusoidal?

I see on the video the machine uses a MESA 7I39, I'm bit confused here as to what the difference is between a 7I39 and an 8I20??

One says brushless DC and the other says AC, but as commented in an earlier reply on here they are effectively the same thing?

More
05 Dec 2015 22:39 - 05 Dec 2015 22:39 #66484 by andypugh

What output do the PICO drive and MESA drive give out? Is it trapezoidal or sinusoidal?

As far as I know the Pico drive output is trapezoidal. The 8i20 and 7i39 is whatever you tell it to do.

In the case of the 7i39 it takes three separate PWM signals, so can actually do weird stuff (deliberately or accidentally)
Last edit: 05 Dec 2015 22:39 by andypugh.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds