1982 Matsuura MC-500v Retrofit

More
09 Jan 2017 05:48 #85502 by chopper79
Hello all,

I am going to embark on the quest of retrofitting a new to me MC-500V. I will be using Mesa board of course, which will consist of a 5i25 and 7i77 with maybe some additional boards if needed. I have done a couple retros before (Astro Knee Mill, Kasuga Mill) both of went perfect. This time though I am going to need to integrate the tool changer and all the goodies (Too changer has got me scared)

I know there has been a member that retrofitted one before on here, so would love to hear from that member also as our machines are very similar.

The machine arrived Tuesday so I will post pictures.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2017 23:27 - 10 Jan 2017 23:31 #85596 by chopper79
The mill showed up in the rain, 30mph winds, and then turned to sleet. Got it in the garage though. Looked smaller in the previous owners shop..... Time to start getting it in place and begin the conversion.

Got a bunch of spare parts also.

1) Spindle Drive
2) Spindle Cartridge
3) All electronics
4) Spare servo motors
5) Spare tool changer
6) and much more..... If anybody needs some parts for theirs hit me up also as I do not need all these parts..haha
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Jan 2017 23:31 by chopper79.

More
17 Jan 2017 01:26 #85878 by chopper79
Ok.... Here is the factory electronics and enclosures.

I am ordering my Mesa boards tomorrow so I can begin the retrofit. If anybody could give me hand or pointers on which plug the encoder signals, vfd signals, analog +/- 10v on servo drive, and the enable would be great. I have done a couple retros before, but this one is very intimidating to me for some reason.

I am also thinking I can just remove the electronics form the enclosure door and all my signal wires should be there. Not completely sure though.
Attachments:

More
17 Jan 2017 01:56 #85882 by tommylight
Take it one step at a time, everything complicated has to start a something simple .......and get complicated by the way.
That looks intimidating for sure, but do start by checking everything before you start ripping things off.
I usually do a complete check, take 2 days off to think about it, check it again, allow one more day for thinking, only then start removing things but again checking everything. Takes more time but by the time i start, i already have it finished in my head. Then there is the part of working with unknown electronics and checking several times before actually connecting something. I use a DVM and resistors a lot to test things, even when i have schematics. In electronics it takes a split second and there is no going back.
Take a lot of pictures of everything, post them here, plenty of experienced members here eager to help.
I will following your progress, for sure.
Regards,
Tom

More
17 Jan 2017 02:02 #85883 by chopper79
Thank you for the input.

I am sitting here looking at it all now. Going over the manuals for the drives also and can not seem to find out which wires are for my drive enable and +/-10 signal. I have found that they are all located in a connector at the top of the servo drive. The manual is just real clear on what this connector is and what pins are to what.

I have located all the encoder wires and I did check that they are the 5v encoders and not the 12v ones that some came with.

Would like to find the servo drive wires first thing and then I can test them out for movement with a small power supply to verify functionality.

More
17 Jan 2017 02:19 #85887 by tommylight
Take pictures of the manuals, post them here, i'll have a look.

More
17 Jan 2017 02:38 - 08 Feb 2017 16:04 #85888 by chopper79
Edited: See post # for all the documentation I have. Manuals, wiring , etc.
Last edit: 08 Feb 2017 16:04 by chopper79.

More
17 Jan 2017 12:21 #85908 by tommylight
Am on the phone now, will check later.

More
17 Jan 2017 14:49 #85927 by tommylight
Got this in a hurry.
enable goes to drive enable on 7i77 and analog goes to analogout on 7i77, mind the polarity.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: chopper79

More
17 Jan 2017 14:51 #85928 by chopper79
That's what I was thinking..... Now to find them in the db9 connector.

Thanks

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.249 seconds