1982 Matsuura MC-500v Retrofit

More
26 Feb 2017 01:49 #88626 by andypugh
It seems a slight shame not to use the Resolver (it probably cost a lot of money when fitted, they are not cheap devices).

If you fancy a project: uk.rs-online.com/web/p/resolver-to-digital-converters/8197360/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Feb 2017 05:28 #88627 by chopper79

It seems a slight shame not to use the Resolver (it probably cost a lot of money when fitted, they are not cheap devices).

If you fancy a project: uk.rs-online.com/web/p/resolver-to-digital-converters/8197360/

I understand.... This resolver is tied into the VFD also. There is no signals coming out of the VFD so I would need to make sure that the VFD and LCNC were both getting the signal.

I will think about this a bit more.

Thanks

More
26 Feb 2017 14:38 #88632 by andypugh
If the resolver is being used by something else then it gets more tricky. The converters expect to be the source of the excitation as well as reading the output.

More
26 Feb 2017 14:38 #88633 by andypugh
If the resolver is being used by something else then it gets more tricky. The converters expect to be the source of the excitation as well as reading the output.

More
26 Feb 2017 15:36 - 26 Feb 2017 16:00 #88634 by chopper79
Yeah the resolver is being used by the VFD. Uses it for feedback so the VFD can keeps itself on point. Not sure I want to mess with the harmony that is there already.

As I said before the machine tapped with a G84 and I have not changed anything on the VFD hookup. I wonder how the tapping cycle was performed without any feedback going to the control? I can only assume that it used the zero speed out and at speed outs to send the signal back to the control for tapping.

The lower connections on this picture are the outputs from the VFD to the old controller.

Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Feb 2017 16:00 by chopper79.

More
26 Feb 2017 17:02 #88637 by andypugh
The LinuxCNC version of the G84 cycle is for a floating / reversing tapping head. That does not necessarily need spindle position feedback.

More
26 Feb 2017 17:17 #88638 by chopper79
I understand that. The original controller was a Yasnac MX1, which is why I was trying to figure out how it was tapping without any feedback from spindle to controller excluding the at speed, etc, signals. Maybe the original control system was relying on a floating/reversing tap head also.

I think I may just go ahead a build an encoder for it so I can not fuss with the resolver and VFD stuff.

Thank you sir for your input. It is valued.

More
27 Feb 2017 04:42 #88652 by chopper79
Gear tooth sensors are ordered. Machining the timing pulley tomorrow and then it is down to waiting for UPS to show up with the sensors. Hope to give you all some updates and a video of the encoder working by the end of the week.

More
05 Mar 2017 16:43 #89045 by chopper79
No updates on this yet. Had to put some time in on other projects....

Got the sensors in, but still feeling a bit conflicted on the gear selection at the moment. Looking at a few more options before I decide to jump in.

More
06 Mar 2017 04:18 #89084 by chopper79
Decided to make a 80 tooth self centering gear with an index mark. The teeth are 90deg edges and not rolled edges so i am hoping that the pickups will see this more like an actual encoder disc. Most gears have a taper to them so I wanted to avoid that.

Going to start machining this tomorrow, so hope to have some pictures tomorrow night of the machined gear. If it all works out how I plan I will upload the files to make this gear if you have one of these machines and want to make one of these gears.

We will see what happens

Attachments:

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 1.048 seconds